Bronco II Ford Bronco II

rear brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 06:32 AM
lugnut05
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear brake lines

My 1987 Bronco II is equipped with rear anti-lock brakes.

Recently the line ruptured from the pumpkin to the driver's side wheel cylinder. Foolishly I bent up a new line and figured I was good to go.

Apon bleeding I found the next weakest link, the line from the front that runs along the frame to the anti-lock control valve.
I know it will not stop there and will go for replacing all the rear lines.

Question is about bleeding them. I notice the Anti-lock control valve has a bleeder.
What is the proceedure for getting them bled properly ?

-Joe W

Old 05-14-2008, 06:22 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
right rear, left rear, abs, right front, left front.

remove the abs and clean the screen.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:57 AM
madclone
Junior User
all hydraulic lines hate air bubbles some of the bubbles go up (to the master and it's fluid tank), some of them can't go up because they are trapped in different line bendings etc. So your main objective is to get rid of the air that can't go up. To do so, put one end of a rubber hose on the bleed screw, submerge another end in breack fluid. This will prevent air from "outside" getting back into the line. Then unsrew the bleeder, and start working on the brake pedal checking fluid level in master's container constantly untill the air stops coming from the submerged hose. Then tighten the bleeder. Do same for another wheel. After that check your brakes. Be carefull. I know this is not how things are described in books, but when there's noone to help and you need the car fast - this trick works fine. Did it three times on two different cars. But if you are not well experienced to determine whether the brakes are working OK or not, don't do it )