1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Lucas Oil Additive

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 11:07 PM
PAVEMENTMAN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lucas Oil Additive

I Added 1 Qrt Of Lucas Oil Additive To My Engine Today And It Seams To Run Quieter And Be Much Better On Fuel Millage. Anybody Ever Use It. It Says On The Bottle Recomended For Powerstroke Diesels.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:31 PM
kawa
Postmaster
If I recall, everybody screams that is a NO NO! but I can't remember why.
Rest assured that someone will have the answer.

Rog

Old 05-10-2008, 11:34 PM
PAVEMENTMAN
Senior User
I cant see what it would hurt,

Old 05-11-2008, 01:00 AM
mklemin
Senior User
i think they say its bed in our fuel systems because its to thick or something but not the oil i put it in every other time. i have a some trucker friends that swear by it for better miles and smooth engine running. i use it in my fuel every once in a while.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:14 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a look here
What about Additives?

It causes the oil to foam.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:40 AM
PAVEMENTMAN
Senior User
I Have Always Heard Of People Using This With No Problems. I Didnt Use The Full Synthetic Just The Regular Oil Additive.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:13 AM
PAVEMENTMAN
Senior User
So Should I Change It Or Just Wait Until The Next Oil Change.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Karl Keicher
Senior User
Pavement-I own and operate several heavy duty cat diesels in over the road trucks. I have been using Lucas oil in those trucks for over 15 years. Here is what I have found: C-15 cats @ 500 hp running OVER 1 million miles, eaton 13 spd transmissions running up to 1.7 million miles before rebearing, eaton rear ends running up to 1.3 million miles before rebuild. I also use the Lucas hub oil in all the front hubs and trailer axles and have never had a bearing failure. I use the lucas oil and fuel additives in 4 refer units all the time. I use Lucas oil add, fuel add, power steering oil, and trans oil in my '04 super duty PSD ALL THE TIME, and have NEVER had a problem! Lucas oil DOES NOT cause the oil to foam as it is oil itself! You can use these products with confidence! I have for a total of over 3 million miles combined and have never had an on road failure due to lube problems. For more info visit the Lucas web site at LUCASOIL.com

Old 05-11-2008, 09:24 AM
PAVEMENTMAN
Senior User
Ok Just Wondering, I Had Some Guys Say It Foams Up And Is No Good On The Hpop.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Karl Keicher
Senior User
There are some additives that do foam and obviously, foam is air and air does not lubricate. However, as I said I have been using lucas products for over 15 years and I will tell you that their claims of foaming with lucas products are false as well as unfounded. I can send you results of oil analysis done on all my equipment, including my super duty-all the results show minimal wear and suggest extending my drain periods because the oil is still servicable! You dont get those results from foam.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:33 AM
PAVEMENTMAN
Senior User
Good I Will Leave It In And Keep Using It. I Wouldnt Think They Would Make It And Sell It If It Foamed Up. I Dont See How It Would Foam As Thick As It Is. It Looks Like Honey.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Karl Keicher
Senior User
Well the real proof will be when and if you ever open up your engine- I just overhauled one of my Cat 3406's at 1.45 million miles-The reason? The number one cylinder liner seal started leaking antifreeze into the oil. We all know what antifreeze in oil does to an engine. The bearings in this engine were still servicable! The cross hatch on ALL the liners was still clearly visible, and the overhead cam and bearings were in near perfect condition! All 6 pistons showed NO signs of scuffing. The biggest problem? Cleaning all the engine parts- the lucas was covering every internally lubricated part completely and took some effort to clean off.
I am not a big believer in additives but this product has saved my butt in several cases and I wont run anything without it. I even use it in my caddy with the northstar engine.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:05 AM
PAVEMENTMAN
Senior User
I Know The Oil Additive Is As Thick As Honey So Will It Pump It Through The Injectors Ok. ??

Old 05-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While aerated oil isn't necessarily the end of the world, it can be a problem for HEUI systems. I use all of the Lucas products, they seem to be good stuff but....I have to believe my eyes when I see the air entrained oil in the test on BTOG's site. I have used Lucas in my PSD in the past and did notice the engine was a little louder after a long and hard up hill pull. It eventually went away so it just may have been hot, thinner oil. Who knows....I just stopped using it in my 'stroke.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:09 AM
PAVEMENTMAN
Senior User
If It Foams You Should Be Able To See It On The Dipstick I Would Think.

Quick Reply: Lucas Oil Additive