Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Question about hpop???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:35 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mongo75
So all I need to be like Rich is a van turbo- wait, I gotta fix my stocker first
HEy Danny,

I thought you were looking into Beans Dominator 66. Would be a nice setup!

Old 05-08-2008, 10:38 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PMR means powdered metal rods- Basically the PMR rods are constructed like an asprin- they dump powdered metal (graphite??) into a mold, then under intense pressure it's compacted, an then run through a furnace to sorta weld it all together. That's why they are more prone to cracking- they were never "solid" in the first place.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:39 PM
suzuki_vinson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drive this truck daily just wanna know what im in for. I guess I just need to talk to tenn.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:40 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Rich, have you seen my poll answer on how many eyerolls you get a week?? I wish I could get a D66- I think I got better chances of catching a saltwater largemouth bass before I convince the wife to let me do a no-kidding upgrade instead of just a repair...

Old 05-08-2008, 10:46 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Rich, have you seen my poll answer on how many eyerolls you get a week?? ...
no, I missed it. Can you point me to the thread?

I hear ya on the $. If only the Marines paid you what you are worth.....

My wish is a H2E turbo & Pulse big oil. But that is about 4K I do not have!

Old 05-08-2008, 10:54 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
JAson,

I would do the chip & turbo first, then injectors and see if you need big oil or not.

There are plenty of PMR trucks running big oil, I don't think it would be an issue as long as you didn't push the HP limit.
Rich, I guess were I was going with this was like Tenn you can push the limits of PMRs with just an upgraded turbo and sticks.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:57 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jhand124
Rich, I guess were I was going with this was like Tenn you can push the limits of PMRs with just an upgraded turbo and sticks.
Yep, I agree..... I guess I just read the question in a different way

I'm kinda loopy today

Old 05-08-2008, 10:58 PM
suzuki_vinson
Senior User
OK. so would I run into any problems with a set of 200cc jumbo shrimp hybrids as my next upgrade??? And do I have to run the swamps tunes or can jody make me some????

Old 05-08-2008, 11:08 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by suzuki_vinson
OK. so would I run into any problems with a set of 200cc jumbo shrimp hybrids as my next upgrade??? And do I have to run the swamps tunes or can jody make me some????
I would do the turbo first. Along with a regulated return and the in tank & prepump mod to protect the new injectors. The stock turbo won't last or do very well with those inj's.

Tony Wildman (www.totaldieselperformance.com) or DP can make the tunes for you. I run Tony's tunes. Plus he doesn't charge for reburns.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:11 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by suzuki_vinson
I believe Tenn is running dp again, his 400 hp was after live tuning with Jody. The jumbo shrimp might give the stock turbo some egt issues, but then I'm still learning, I'll refer to those who are more knowledgable.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:15 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Hey Rich, you mentioned the stock turbo won't last long with bigger injectors, and Kris said the same thing. Why is that? Is it a heat thing, or a higher revving thing?? I'm pretty sure my compressor wheel ate something, and was not due to the new injectors.... Man I do want more air though- maybe I can sell a kid or something....

Old 05-09-2008, 12:09 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
The bigger turbos will supply approx. 30-40% more air - needed for the added fuel.

Also, The bigger turbine Housings will allow the exhaust to flow with reduced back Pressure and reduction in exhaust gas temperatures.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:33 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Hey Rich, you mentioned the stock turbo won't last long with bigger injectors, and Kris said the same thing. Why is that? Is it a heat thing, or a higher revving thing?? I'm pretty sure my compressor wheel ate something, and was not due to the new injectors.... Man I do want more air though- maybe I can sell a kid or something....
Danny, Rich pointed me here, so I might be able to help. The stock turbo won't last long with bigger injectors mainly because it's a backpressure thing. Also, above 25 psi on the stock turbo and you're out of its efficiency range. Past that an all you're doing is super heating the air as boost increases, not making more power. You do run into some problems with overrevving of the stock turbo too, but it's not as big of a deal to turbo life as the backpressure thing.

However the reason the stock turbo won't last long is because it will put too much pressure on the center section of the turbo, mainly the thrust bearing. With a backpressure:boost ratio of essentially 2:1, at 25 psi of boost you'll have 50 psi of backpressure. That much pressure pushing on the exhaust side will prematurely wear the bearing in the turbo.

When you switch to a larger exhaust housing, like a 1.15 with a van or a 1.0 from Beans, you reduce the backpressure. The 1.15 housing has a backpressure:boost ratio of essentially 1:1 up to about 35 psi of boost. As you can easily see, then if you're running 25 psi of boost, you'll only have 25 psi of backpressure, which is much easier on the turbo and it's bearing. The 1.0 housing is somewhere in the middle with a guestimated ratio of 1.5:1.

That reduction in backpressure also allows the turbo to work more efficiently. So, you'll lose actual boost numbers, but be gaining power because the turbo is actually flowing more air. Example: when I switched to a van turbo, I was pushing 34 psi through my stock turbo. After the van went on, I was only pushing 26 psi through it, with no other changes. Although my boost numbers dropped, the truck was making more power because the van turbo was more efficient at moving air.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:10 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I wouldn't buy Jumbo Shrimp from anywhere but a seafood store, WITH cocktail sauce!

Old 05-09-2008, 08:21 AM
suzuki_vinson
Senior User
Ok so lets say im gonna get the jumbo shrimp injectors. Then what and how do I match a turbo up to those. Is there a formula???