Any one in lubbock willing to lend a ear

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 01:39 PM
TheNomad
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any one in lubbock willing to lend a ear

Hello fellow Texans.
I have some noise coming out of my engine I'm not sure what it, it sounds like a lifter but I've been told it could be a rocker arm but I don't trust the engine shops around here after how hard I got boned by one. I don't really want to give them another 800 bucks to tell me its going to cost 3 grand to fix on a engine I paid 3,200 less then 2 years ago for.. I'm not very familiar with engine noises and was wonder if a more experienced ear could lend a hand would be awesome thanks

Old 05-12-2008, 12:08 AM
TheNomad
Elder User
gee you would think I asked some on to let me barrow their house for the weekend hahaha

Old 05-14-2008, 11:19 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

i think i'm the only other person from lubbock here and i haven't been here much. they killed the tx chapter a few years ago... might try racelubbock.com for more local information but they're mostly newer stuff, stangs and vettes.

depending on what exactly it is doing and when it does it, what do you have to do to make it make the noise, i just finished with something similar... it's in both the 302 section and the 73-79 section. in all honesty i'd prolly only be able to help you if it turns out to be the same thing mine was doing but i cld damn sure tell you if it was the same ticking time bomb noise... i HATE that noise about like i hate the smell of burnt tranny fluid.

if all else fails, i'd say try sextons because i've had him do some work for me recently and he was honest about my freeze plugs when he cld have easily taken me for $900. if you do go in there tell him you got a recommendation from a chick with a silver 79 302 saying he's good and honest and he should do you right.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:52 AM
TheNomad
Elder User
Hmm, What do you mean They killed Tx chapter? did the people just suck or did FTE kill it?? Some one must have really cheesed some one off.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:02 AM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

i quit hanging here becuz i mentioned a parts supplier that wasn't a sponsor and got chewed for it and i moved and didn't have internet for a while. when i came back everyone was gone, the thread count competition with the TN chapter was gone, it was quiet as a church in here. i don't know why everyone else bailed but they pretty much seem to be gone. it's hard to get the TX chapter together face to face considering we have to drive 4 hrs minimum just to get to the middle of the state and they always wanted to get together in one of the major cities in their area, austin, houston, etc which is understandable since that's where 99.95% of everyone was. try to divide the state up and there's like three people on this side of the state and who's gonna drive 2 or 3 hrs to meet up with just a couple people? *shrug* that's why i declined the nomination all those years ago because what good is a chapter leader if they can NEVER get where the meets are gonna be and help with anything? *shaking my head*

beside the point at this juncture now that the damage is done. that's why i suggested the lubbock based forum for local information. those guys are all about power adders and hot hot mods but from what i can tell the short time i've been over there there appear to be a few mechanics with open shops and plenty of people willing to help with wrench turning when needed. btw, did you ever figure out what your noise is? i'd be interested in knowing since i had a knock in my original 302 and haven't had the opportunity or place to pull it apart and see what's wrong with it. the new 302 i put in had collapsed lifters from setting up too long and is now running like a top *knock on wood* since i had sexton put the lifters in for me. good luck either way and hope to hear that you get it resolved soon. the noise i had drove me just about crazy trying to figure it out.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:20 PM
TheNomad
Elder User
Well doesn't that just sound like Lubbock..
Every club I've been in Astronomy, Reef tanks, R/c,anthros all ways seemed to die out or people had the Lubbock mentality and every thing would turn to hell and I would just leave.
What is this Lubbock forum you are talking about? I haven't ever heard of it?
I pretty sure its just a lifter, i'm going to change it them out when I get the time and cam to. i might even just change the whole flipping heads out....

Old 05-18-2008, 05:34 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

RaceLubbock.com - Lubbock's Premier Race Forum

put my user name in when it asks who referred you. apparently these guys get together and hang out at one of the sonics on friday nights when they're not at idalou... i found it on someone's myspace page and haven't ever met any of them but they do a lot of offering to help each other out.. *shrug* maybe they're just a close click of kids running around here that decided to start a forum...

Old 05-29-2008, 11:03 PM
James77
New User
Originally Posted by ford4life69
i think i'm the only other person from lubbock here and i haven't been here much. they killed the tx chapter a few years ago...
Hey Im new to the site...
What is the deal with the Texas Chapter?

James77
Levelland

Old 05-30-2008, 01:24 PM
TheNomad
Elder User
Well to make a long story short..... It just sucked kinda like every thing else around here in this part of Texas.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:06 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm almsot from Lubbock?

Old 05-30-2008, 06:23 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

Shallowater might as well be Lubbock... Probably will be in a few years anyway.

James77 I used to live in Levelland, what do you drive and how long you been there? I moved here at the end of 03.

There's a race group here in Lubbock organizing a cruise for this Saturday, starting at McKenzie park I think and going to BBQ somewhere after the fact. If anyone's interested give me a shout and I'll give y'all the information. I don't know if I'll go. Depends on how bored I am Sunday. Especially since I don't race my truck.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:39 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

hey james turn on your pms or send me an email.. take my screen name and stick yahoo.com or aol.com after it and i'll getcha some more info on local stuff if you wld like.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:01 AM
James77
New User
Sorry there Connie... I have been out of town for the past few days.
Will send you and E-Mail tonight.

James77

Old 06-10-2008, 12:03 AM
James77
New User
...forgot to say that I drive an 02 Ranger. (Im proud of her)

James77

Old 06-27-2008, 10:19 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

never got anything james if you sent it....