1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Need to bring spares

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Turbo_Bimmer
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to bring spares

Hi,

The last thing that I want is to have my van/trailer/rally car sitting on the side of the road because of a defective part in my van (1993 E250 5.8L).

I did some PM (water pump, thermostat, radiator, belt, distributor cap and rotor) and the rest seems OK.

What parts should I bring with me that is prone to breakage?

I remember a GM I had in the 80s (off road truck) that burnt the ignitor (module inside the distributor) deep in the wood. Of course, I had everything to build a new truck with me, except for that specific part

That's why I would like people to suggest me things that I should bring with me for long trips.

Let's start a list:

- spare belt
- spare starter
- spare coil
- spare ignitor (is this the module bolted to the driver's side inner fender like
in the picture below?)

Thanks.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:25 AM
jonesg
Senior User
A credit card and some tools.
Spare tire.
Anything more than and I ain't going.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Turbo_Bimmer
Junior User
Originally Posted by jonesg
A credit card and some tools.
Spare tire.
Anything more than and I ain't going.
LOL, yes, I already have the credit card. And the garages out of town know it also. I just hate to be at the merci of a garage owner who knows you're stranded and will pay whatever price he decides just to be on the road again.
...experience

Old 05-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I have been towing with my E150 Clubwagon for going on 12 seasons now. I switched to the Ford after my Chevy left me stranded on the road for about the 10th time. It got to silly.

In the 11 seasons I have towed my racecar all over the US, the Ford only left me stranded once and that was when the fuel pump failed at 130K miles.

I now have nearly 270,000 miles and preventive maintenance is all that has been required.

You do rallys huh? I am an autocrosser.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Turbo_Bimmer
Junior User
Hi Clubwagon,
Ummm, the fuel pump. My van is at 132000mi right now.
That's something that requires the fuel tank to be dropped doesn it? In a car, there is a trap to reach the pump, but in the van I didn't see anything.

Can you tell me how the whole thing happened when you got stuck because of the fuel pump. Did they tow the van with one tow truck and a second tow truck for the trailer?

Yes, I'm doing rally-X for now, and have plans for stage rally next year...if the price of gas stops skyrocketing

Originally Posted by Clubwagon
Well, I have been towing with my E150 Clubwagon for going on 12 seasons now. I switched to the Ford after my Chevy left me stranded on the road for about the 10th time. It got to silly.

In the 11 seasons I have towed my racecar all over the US, the Ford only left me stranded once and that was when the fuel pump failed at 130K miles.

I now have nearly 270,000 miles and preventive maintenance is all that has been required.

You do rallys huh? I am an autocrosser.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:31 AM
IntrepidCUB
Senior User
I would replace the fuel pump if it hasnt been replaced. my 94 the fuel pump went out at 132K and my buddies 95 fuel pump went out at 115K mine was summer last year was stranded in DFW and cost 900 dollars towing and repairs. the 95 it went out sitting still and we got it running and drove it to the house but it never started again he replaced it the other day you do have to drop the tank and it has those damn quick disconnects that never work right. they were company vans and the 95 i actually drove every day and one day it wouldnt start so it sat for 6 months till the auction came up and he got it for 400 dollars since it didnt run so he paid for it put a new battery in it and it started so he took a chance and drove it home as soon as he pulled in the driveway and tunred it off it wouldnt start again. sorry for the rambling

Old 05-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fortunately, the pump didn't go out while I was towing. I had driven the van on an errand that day to give it some excercise. It sits in the driveway except on race weekends. During the off season I try to drive it somewhere every week so it doesn't sit too long. On this trip, I ran some errands and got in it in the grocery store parking lot and it wouldn't start. I removed the gas cap and listened for the pump. No whine.

Yes, you have to drop the tank so make sure its nearly empty first. I used a 2x6 plank under a floor jack to support it while releasing the straps. Put a quality pump in it. No Autozone junk.

I had regular problems with my Chevy. The transmission failed 8 times. 4L60E's are junk for towing. When I called the wrecker company I always asked for a big roll-back with a hitch. The van was loaded on the bed and the trailer towed normally by the hitch. A couple of times they didn't send what I requested and I had to sit on the car trailer for a few hours waiting for another wrecker to tow the trailer.

I have been competing Nationally since 1989 running both the National Tour series and the Pro Solo series. You are right about the cost of fuel. When I first bought the Clubwagon fuel cost were minimal. Under $1. I could go almost anywhere east of the Mississippi River for $100 of fuel each way. Now, its $120/tank and a typical race weekend is $600 in fuel or more! If it keeps going up, it could cost me well over $1000 in fuel to go to Nationals this year!!!

Old 05-07-2008, 02:03 AM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
ABC News quoted the new record high oil price over $122 per barrel. Last week they said gas would go up 50-60 cents over the next 2-3 weeks. It went up 6 cents overnite here.

Originally Posted by Clubwagon
If it keeps going up (?)
Put a quality pump in it
No Autozone junk
They also said speculators are already talking about (drooling over) $200/barrel oil!

The $4 premium is already in my town & ABC has broadcast gas prices nearing $5. The way things are going we're just a hiccup away from $10 gas! They will use every excuse to raise the price. They have Oil Addicts by the Short Hairs.

Forget if it was AZ, or Advance down the block, but they carried American Bosch fuel pumps.

Beware that dropping the gas tank can be a b*ll buster. The issue of filler hoses cracking & leaking w/o even touching them, would concern me. Rusted threads on the straps can also ruin your day. I ended up cutting them off & replacing from salvage. Rigged 2 nylon 'ratchet' straps, to hang & raise partially filled tank.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Turbo_Bimmer
Junior User
Clubwagon ,
don't loose time and go burn some gaz while it's still affordable. Here in Canada, it is at $1.34 per liter ($5.10/ usg) for regular!
I wonder if I could get a sponsorship from Exon for my rallycar ?

About the fuel pump, I just bought the truck recently from a garage, so may be the pump has been replaced by the previous owner, may be not.
I have a spare Toyota pump on the shelve. Since I always carry some 5gal reservoirs for the rally car, may be I could set up something with that spare pump to get me out of trouble temporarely if the Van's pump fail?

I will look into that.

Thanks.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Elias
Freshman User
Take a bottle of stop leak, sounds funny but it saved my *** one day when the valve cover started shooting oil inside the engine compartment. i was 110 miles from home and it held the entire time.