1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Stage II's, 17* HPOP & GP's this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah, That was a little deeper in my pockets than I wanted to go but I am sure it will be well worth it.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Mr. RUBBERDUCK sir. I read your write up again in detail today and checked at the dealer about the silicone. They said that Ford used to use the black stuff but something in the oil caused it to breakdown so they switched to the grey stuff.

I also got a question. Under the HPOP reservoir the dealer calls for a gasket I assume you disposed of the gasket and used the silicone

Another question about the IPR. You said you got a new IPR that matched the SD pump. What does that mean. Also should I get a new o-ring for the IPR? (forgive me but I ain't been in there yet) Is the IPR on the pump? And should I reuse mine? I planned on it.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:17 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Neal the IPR on a 97 is the same as the 17 degree IPR so your good to reuse yours. Might want an o-ring kit for it though.

On the reservoir there is a o-ring gasket for half of it then you silicone the other half. At least thats the way my 95 was. its pretty strange as to why not use one or the other but not both a gasket and silicone at the same time.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Thanx Tim The hardware store is right down the street I will take the old one and compare to get some new ones.

On the gasket though the dealer was telling me that he shows 2 seals/gaskets for the reservoir but he had neither. He also could only find one on the diagram that they have so hopefully your '95 will be the same as my '97. I wonder if Duck just reused his o-ring or used silicone?

Old 05-02-2008, 09:33 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Neal the o-rings have backer rings. Not sure if the o-rings are special but I know the backers are. Don't remove them if you don't have the Ford/IH kit

Also you don't need to remove the reservoir unless you have a leak there. If its not leaking I would leave it on then you don't have to worry about sealing it back up

Old 05-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Don't I have to remove the reservoir to take the bolt out of the pump shaft then slide the pump shaft out of the gear? That is the way it is described in Duck's description.
Wish I had a pic.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:07 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Neal, DO NOT REMOVE THE RESERVOIR. It's not nesissary. But please, if my writeup says to I need to know where. To get at the gear nut, there is a plate just above the waterpump with 2 8mm bolts. Pull those and that's how you get to the 18mm nut for the gear.

Use the Gray Ford RTV, or a diesel specific RTV. AND THAT IS ONLY FOR THAT LITTLE COVER OVER THE GEAR NUT. I'm not yelling, I just want to be specific. There is nothing else you use RTV on for this project. And the reason for the specific pookie, is because it takes the anti-foaming agents out of the oil. That's bad.

Next, about the HPOP rez gasket. Again, I want to be really specific here. DO NOT use the gasket that has the little basket filter. It will crack your front cover. For detail on this, PM Barebackjake. He has quite the story. I would just use the Grey RTV and call it good. But since you don't need to take it off, no worries.

Next, Yes, the IPR is mounted in the pump. You only need to take the electric solinoid off for removal. And I'm not even 100% sure you don't have the clearance with it on there. But you just need to remove the little tin nut at the back end of it and remove the spacer and solinoid.

The difference in the IPR's is a little puck at the end of the IPR. Older models have them, and newer ones don't. From everything I understand, that is what they call the edge filter.

Yes, you can definately reuse your IPR. Look at the orings. from the tip there will be a standard round oring. Right behind it there is a square cushon oring that has an angled slit in it. And then lastly another standard oring before the 1 1/8 nut. If you have the oring kit, replace them. If not, I say run what's on there if they aren't damaged.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:21 AM
Aireeek
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your a god man RubberDuck. We all appreciate you. Reek

Old 05-03-2008, 12:22 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Neal, I will be up all night tomorrow night. It's the night before I go back to my night shift job. And I'm hosting a washer pitching tournament that should go well into the morning hours. Feel free to call me ANY TIME if you have questions. And if I don't answer, leave a message and I'll call you right back.

Cell (512)663-6150

And yes, I'll be up all day too. I'll get to sleep when I'm dead. Which shouldn't be long now.....LOL

Old 05-03-2008, 12:22 AM
Aireeek
Senior User
oops, That would be "good man"....
It's late.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:23 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by Aireeek
Your a god man RubberDuck. We all appreciate you. Reek

Well Reek, I don't know about God.... But I do the best I can. And I will say you really scored Aces with those injector install video's. Rep sent.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:24 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Damn, too fast.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by RubberDuck
Neal, DO NOT REMOVE THE RESERVOIR. It's not nesissary. But please, if my writeup says to I need to know where. To get at the gear nut, there is a plate just above the waterpump with 2 8mm bolts. Pull those and that's how you get to the 18mm nut for the gear.

Use the Gray Ford RTV, or a diesel specific RTV. AND THAT IS ONLY FOR THAT LITTLE COVER OVER THE GEAR NUT. I'm not yelling, I just want to be specific. There is nothing else you use RTV on for this project. And the reason for the specific pookie, is because it takes the anti-foaming agents out of the oil. That's bad.

Next, about the HPOP rez gasket. Again, I want to be really specific here. DO NOT use the gasket that has the little basket filter. It will crack your front cover. For detail on this, PM Barebackjake. He has quite the story. I would just use the Grey RTV and call it good. But since you don't need to take it off, no worries.

Next, Yes, the IPR is mounted in the pump. You only need to take the electric solinoid off for removal. And I'm not even 100% sure you don't have the clearance with it on there. But you just need to remove the little tin nut at the back end of it and remove the spacer and solinoid.

The difference in the IPR's is a little puck at the end of the IPR. Older models have them, and newer ones don't. From everything I understand, that is what they call the edge filter.

Yes, you can definately reuse your IPR. Look at the orings. from the tip there will be a standard round oring. Right behind it there is a square cushon oring that has an angled slit in it. And then lastly another standard oring before the 1 1/8 nut. If you have the oring kit, replace them. If not, I say run what's on there if they aren't damaged.
Thanx Duck. You diverted a catastrophe. I read #15 and # 16 in your directions and I guess I blended drain reservoir and remove cover together. Thanx. I never heard the term specific pookie...except by an old girlfriend,LOL. Sounds as if the IPR o-rings are not something that can be found at a regular hardware store especially the square one. I will reuse mine as is.

Originally Posted by RubberDuck
Neal, I will be up all night tomorrow night. It's the night before I go back to my night shift job. And I'm hosting a washer pitching tournament that should go well into the morning hours. Feel free to call me ANY TIME if you have questions. And if I don't answer, leave a message and I'll call you right back.

Cell (512)663-6150

And yes, I'll be up all day too. I'll get to sleep when I'm dead. Which shouldn't be long now.....LOL
Not sure what you meant about the Rez HPOP gasket, little basket filter but I don't have anything of the such so I am safe. Thanx I should be fine with all this wisdom.

Thanx for that offer I am getting started a little late but I am going in now. I will keep the # just in case.

Yesterday I had to drive home 2.5 hours after work. Clean garage and get ready in the shop. Mow two houses yards.

Today up early and trip to the dump. Then go to stor and get grey silicone and 5 gallon bucket of oil. Move gooseneck trailer from in front of garage. Move all of my tool boxes and tools ( 2 bottoms, 1 intermediate, 2 top) and my air compressor from one house to the big garage. Go get loaner car from father in law (firebird 6 speed..cool). Go to hardware store and get hand pump and tubing for draining HPOP reservoir etc. That is why I am late starting also had to hang some hanging plants for the wife.

You guys are really great and I will rep you guys when I can and thanx for the help. Time to get greasy and take some pics.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Aireeek
Senior User
The suspence is killing me!!

Reek

Old 05-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Alright REEK here is just a taster...
The HPOP is in ! ! ! !!!! I didn't crank it because I still gotta do the injectors and GP's. We were hoping the sticks would be delivered today. Jim shipped them Thursday. Well I guess I gotta wait till Monday night to put them in. Tomorrow I am going to remove the VC's and GP's and Injectors and wait till the new tantilizing sticks arrive on Monday. They better be here or I will be pi**ed. Not really, just disappointed.
I am a little sore right now and I believe I got 6 belly buttons that are shaped like the hood latch. I was so into the work that I only drank 6 beers but most of them were at the end of the day. LOL. Time to catch up now... . I had ABSOLUTELY no help other than the wife and kid stopping in to say Hi and that I stink. I thought I was smellin' pretty good about then. No shower and covered with the lovely aroma of diesel mixed with slightly used oil.
It went pretty uneventful except for the fact that one of my GPR hold down bolts twisted off. The other I lubed good and held my breath. I have lots of updates to SIR Rubber duck's writeup, you know bolt sizes and torque specs, that kind of boring stuff.
Interestinly enough the late '97 models had the BP sensor come up infront of the cover I had to remove to loosen the gear. Got pics. That booger was rough. Heater hose in front of it along with the BP line in front also. Then I had to worry I was gonna break my only 18 mm socket and my luck the broken part falls into the abiss. I survived all that just worried me.

Oh and BTW Guys you will LOVE this. NAPA sells a 1-1/8 deep socket that is 3.25 inches long. It will go completely over the IPR with the 1/2" ratchet completely in the socket. KOOL huh?
Part # NTD-636 from NAPA. Funny they carry an IPR socket and don't even know it. Good thing I bet it would be $50.00.

Now I gotta hose off and get ready for tomorrow. I loved today all by myself and PSD mod STROKIN'

Thanks to all you guys for the help. Especially Duck for the write up and Tim for the Torque specs. I printed both off and took to the garage. I owe you guys much.

Quick Reply: Stage II's, 17* HPOP & GP's this weekend