Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Up Pipe Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:38 PM
mind
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Up Pipe Removal

Hey guys need to ask a question because i have my trans pulled right now and need the truck back asap. Anyways i have a 01 F350 7.3 getting the front seal replaced, and looks like the rear main now since i seen a little leak from there too. Saw some nice soot coming down from my up pipes and while its nice and easy to get to them now i wanna replace the gaskets. Cant do the bellowed ones no time/money but would like to some day. Anyways can i pull those out without taking off the manifolds or turbo? Thanks all.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:43 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, you can pull the pipes without removing the manifolds. You may need to loosen the clamp that connects the cast iron connector to the turbine inlet of the turbo, and remove the collector and the pipes as a whole. when reinstalling, loosely hang the pipes in the manifold, install the bolts, snug them down but leave a 1/4 turn loose or so, connect the collector to the turbine, then tighten the donut connection. Finally retighten the lower two at the manifold. Also, make sure the oil leak that is looking like its coming from the rear main isn't up in the valley. There's a drain hole that lets stuff fall down into the tranny bellhousing, mostly looking like a rear main leak even though i've NEVER heard of one....

Old 04-29-2008, 09:45 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Since you have the tranny out you should be able to reach up and undo the bolts that hold the flanges onto the collector. Then with the pipes un mounted from the manifolds you should be able to remove each one, and replace the donuts.

PS a rear main seal going bad is highly unlikely, look around your turbo pedistal, or your EBPV actuator for your leak.

Yeah basically what Kris said.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:19 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Giving the job it is to replace the uppipes (or donuts) (PITA!!) Sure would be nice if you could find the money for the bellowed uppipes, man doin the job with the tranny out would be VERY nice. I replaced mine last weekend and to be honest...its not a job I want to do again. But I sure know how it is to not have the liquid cash to do something spur of the moment....good luck...
Schlepprock

Old 04-29-2008, 10:44 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Man, i worry about the day i see soot from my up pipes, ohhh noooo.(not exact words but close.)

Old 04-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Cracker 73
Senior User
While your under there check your manifolds for leaks . They could be leaking on a high mile truck.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:05 AM
mind
Senior User
Wow thank you very much guys.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:23 PM
mind
Senior User
Well i managed to break one bolt, and still need to take off 2 more on the upper flanges but there being a pain. Soaked them with pb blaster for the night though, cant i just reach up and disconnect the collector from the turbo?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:00 PM
mike9999
New User
Definitely, its similar to the downpipe connection.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:25 PM
dustan52
Senior User
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
Yes, you can pull the pipes without removing the manifolds. You may need to loosen the clamp that connects the cast iron connector to the turbine inlet of the turbo, and remove the collector and the pipes as a whole. when reinstalling, loosely hang the pipes in the manifold, install the bolts, snug them down but leave a 1/4 turn loose or so, connect the collector to the turbine, then tighten the donut connection. Finally retighten the lower two at the manifold. Also, make sure the oil leak that is looking like its coming from the rear main isn't up in the valley. There's a drain hole that lets stuff fall down into the tranny bellhousing, mostly looking like a rear main leak even though i've NEVER heard of one....

This drain hole you speak of, does it need to be left alone or is there a mod to redirect the fluid. Does the ccv going into the intake make it look like a seal leak?