1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Spring has reared its ugly head

Old 04-27-2008, 07:11 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
Spring has reared its ugly head

Walked around the yard today, and most all of the snow is gone. What's left behind is a ton of yardwork due to high winds (fallen branches), saturated ground, and the mound of clay the contractor left behind before last Fall. I've accumulated more stuff over the winter, and now I need to find it a home, too (I'm thinking of punching a road into the woods and a parking lot of gravel). It never ends.

With this year's inflation of gas prices and economy in general, I don't see much getting done on my F1. I'm sure I'm not the only one in that boat. What I didn't expect was my wife having a heart attack, and the cost of medicine (and the hospital bills) each month. She's fine, though lifestyle changes are being made. Money will be tight.

Not really a rant or a feeling of guilt, but walking around the yard today, I've come to the conclusion that the Tbird will come first, since it's further along than the F1, and the 78 F150 will be next, since I should get rid of one truck...which'll be the 85 F150. I hope to sell the 88 Tbird, the '73 IH 1210 series, and maybe the '49 KB2's. I will get rid of a bunch of parts, too such as trannies, tcases, etc... I think I'm stuck with the '93 p.o.s. Saturn for mpg, and the '95 Jeep (because it was totalled), yet maybe the wife's '99 Blazer will go....but she'll want something else. (she likes the Saturn VUE)

Just thought I'd throw that all out there, since Spring has reared its ugly head.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:19 PM
RUSTY50F1
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wife; Hope she's better. Don't sell anything you'll be sorry for later. I've done that many times. Hope things get better.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:41 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Havi, I think you’re just overwhelmed, with the wife thing (my empathy), the money thing and all these projects it just too much and I understand how you feel.

For whatever its worth and if I may; I think that you need to sit down and make a list of what’s important to you, taking care of the wife and yourself, working on the money things and the rest just doesn’t matter, projects (like work) will wait for you. They are not going anywhere. Nobody but us ourselves sets our own expectations and sometimes unrealistic goals, reprioritize what’s really important and do one project at a time.

But what the hell do I know, probably right out to lunch.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm so sorry to hear about your missus, Scott. Keep your head up, buddy.

If she got out of the hospital alive, you're good to go. Hospitals try to kill you with their food, to which I can attest as a recent resident of one myself.

Maybe if you think about selling all while she convolesces, you'll be able to better decide what needs to go and what should stay. Just don't be too hasty.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:47 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 602 Likes on 374 Posts
Glad your wife is doing well, I've recently gotten an appreciation for both the high quality and high price of health care lately.

I used to have to move every 4 or 5 years, and the sole benefit of that is that you have to physically touch everything you own (assuming you do it yourself). It's great for forcing the kind of decisions Old F1 is talking about, and for culling out the deadwood. I'm about due for a floor to ceiling review of all the crap I've accumulated, sounds like maybe you need one too!

Old 04-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Like Rusty said....It's better to Havi than to Havi not.....Best wishes to your wife on a speedy recovery.....take some time to sort out what is more important and spend some quality time with your wife.....it was likely as sign that you were spending too much time with all your stuff........

Take care and let me know if you decide to do anything with the KB2's.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:18 PM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
Havi,

The very best to your wife. The road can sometimes be bumpy.

May you have a smooth ride around the corner

JimG

Old 04-27-2008, 09:02 PM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Havi, The most important is the wife, the rest is just busywork and matters not in the grand scheme of things. I am glad she is better. The bills can wait too,they can't eat you. The P.O>S. 93 is a great gas saver, but I would caution you and the misses about the VUE. Now that is a POS and BIGTIME. We have one as a winter car and they (even the 08' models) drive somewhat like a John Deere. The first units had a Saab,the next ones had a Honda, and the new ones who knows, But the steering and suspension have not been changed or improved. I had a long conversation with a buddy at the Sat dealer and he tells me that they are still replacing the dogbone stabilizers in front. He ( the techs) as most dealers feel that it is the worst model of Saturn built to date but the SC,SL and SW series are still the best quality and most dependable to date. We still have 3 of these at home too. 93 SC1, 99' SL1, 00' SL2, and the POS VUE. The wife does not want to dump anything "since they are paid for. " Phooey. The F1 will get done. Sometimes we just cant see the forest for the trees. (too much stuff ) I'm guilty too. Later pal.
Jon

Old 04-27-2008, 09:20 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 258 Likes on 213 Posts
Scott - The best thing about all your stuff, it'll quietly sit there as long as you need it too without placing demands on you. That lets you take care of first things first. I've been through a similar health issue with my wife. She needs you now. The projects will be there when you can get back to them. If something has to go to generate cash, so be it. There will be others down the road. Good luck.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:20 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Havi, the best to your wife, did she have to have surgury, listen I know all the things going thru your head. My wife had first attack in 93, triple bypass, never did real well then in 2002 we lost two grandchildren and she had another heart attack and triple bypass again with all the stress. At this time I was driving over the road and gone from monday to saturday morn and had a lot of time to think, when everything looks it worst put it in the Lords hand and things will get better. the material things mean nothing in the grand scope of things because all can be replaced, Hang is there and the very best to you and the wife, well be praying for her health and your sanity because it's hard to deal with the stress of life.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Hang in there ol buddy, things will look up soon.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:37 PM
M54Ford
New User
Glad to hear good things about the wife, and yes the listing of things in order of priority does work...sounds like you have drawn a bead on whats the most important anyway. Hang in Bro Summer on its way!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:11 AM
Fomoko1
Received 1,340 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Glad to hear that the your wife is on the mend.
Sorry to hear that the heart attack happened, it`s alot of extra stress for you both.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:41 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
well scott yer wife is ok so everything else is just bull you can take care of later man . and like stu said if somethin' has to go oh well . always another later on .and even without the medical bills i can understand the tight money situation , as i thought this was gonna be a better year and so far nope . it'll all come out in the wash as they say . someone asks me how i'm doing i just say " im still walking around upright and wasting precious oxygen so it's all good !!"

Old 04-28-2008, 04:44 AM
gdgerland
Elder User
Havi, glad to hear that your wife is doing better. Hang in there. I know how you feel, as my wife fell in March and broke her ankle. After surgery (plates, pins, and screws) she has been in a Nursing facility since and will not get to come home for another 5 weeks. At 70 you do not mend like you used to. Sometime the best course of action is to do nothing for a while and let things sort themselves out. Most of my F-1 funds have been used to remodel our bathroom (removed tub and install walk-in shower) and make the house accessable to a wheel chair. The F-1 will wait and is still a stess reliever when I need it. Lots of things to do that don't cost money. Best wishes for your wife's speedy recovery.

Gil

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spring has reared its ugly head