2001 V-10 Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 01:29 PM
MyEx
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 V-10 Upgrades

Looking for the best advice on:

Exhaust (first, Catback then will go onto Headers and Hi-Flow Cat later)

Tuner Chips

Ignition

Plugs

Pulleys

Fuel Injectors

Fuel Pump

Anything else...?

Thanks.

Currently: Stock 2001 Ford Excurson Limited 4X4

Old 04-27-2008, 03:00 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
What gears do you have, 3:73, 4:10 or 4:30s? A simple gear swap can put quite a bit more power to the ground. Nothing wrong with the stock ignition, injectors, fuel pump, pulleys. You won't get any gains with changing out any of those (Except maybe an underdrive pulley set IF one is made) and they only really need to be touched if your adding a supercharger or turbocharger set-up. As for plugs Motorcraft or Autolite plugs work best in the V10. How much do you want to spend on a cat-back system? You can get one from $230 on up to over $500. I have the flowmaster Force 2 w/FM70 that I modified. Banks and Magnaflow also make a very good cat-back system. For a tuner I'm running an SCT X Cal2 with a custom 87 & 91 tune from Mike at 5 Star tuning, it works great. You can see some of my mods in my gallery. I suggest checking out the V10 Modular forum, there is a lot of good info in there.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:28 PM
MyEx
Junior User
dkf
What gears do you have, 3:73, 4:10 or 4:30s? A simple gear swap can put quite a bit more power to the ground.
I'll take a look and get back with that. As for swapping out the gears, right now I have stock size tires. I want to go up as big as possible without having to lift the suspension at all, so tire size will be an issue I'm sure. I was looking at mounting 305's (35") tires on 20" rims. I want a custom set-up, but don't want it to stand out too much.

Nothing wrong with the stock ignition, injectors, fuel pump, pulleys. You won't get any gains with changing out any of those (Except maybe an underdrive pulley set IF one is made) and they only really need to be touched if your adding a supercharger or turbocharger set-up.
That's good to know especially since the injection system looks as if it was just installed. I may be looking at having a Supercharger installed later on down the line.

As for plugs Motorcraft or Autolite plugs work best in the V10.
Thanks.

How much do you want to spend on a cat-back system? You can get one from $230 on up to over $500. I have the flowmaster Force 2 w/FM70 that I modified. Banks and Magnaflow also make a very good cat-back system.
I was budgeting up to $600. for a cat-back set up looking for something that I could pair up to a free flow cat and headers later on. Flowmaster is definately at the top of my list with Banks right behind. Besides getting as much power as possible, I'd love to hear my V-10 working. It already sounds sweet when I accelerate her, but I want to unleash whatever power the current system is holding back. I was thinking about a Flowmaster system with 3"+ pipes, dual exits (maybe dual mufflers if that's better for power gains) and I'd want the pipes to come out under the rear bumpers with dual tips on the ends (similar to a Flowmaster set up I had for my 84' Trans Am).

I've been listening to exhaust clips and Youtube clips of exhaust systems and Flowmaster consistently gets my blood running. Of course, more important than disturbing the peace to me is power.

For a tuner I'm running an SCT X Cal2 with a custom 87 & 91 tune from Mike at 5 Star tuning, it works great. You can see some of my mods in my gallery. I suggest checking out the V10 Modular forum, there is a lot of good info in there.
I got on there right after I posted this.

I'll definately check out your set up.

I'll be posting pics up soon.

Thanks.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:12 AM
halerazor
New User
crane cams makes camshafts for the v10

Old 04-30-2008, 04:35 PM
meanv10
Elder User
If your going to go the blow'n route, no onw makes a positive displacment supercharger for the v10, the only company that still makes a citrifical that i know of is Vortech

Vortech Engineering: Viewing product: 1999-2003 Ford F-250, F-350, Super Duty, Excursion Supercharging Systems

DFK is right, if you want more power do gears, lot less than a supercharger,

air filters and exhaust will only get you so far.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:50 PM
MyEx
Junior User
Originally Posted by meanv10
If your going to go the blow'n route, no onw makes a positive displacment supercharger for the v10, the only company that still makes a citrifical that i know of is Vortech

Vortech Engineering: Viewing product: 1999-2003 Ford F-250, F-350, Super Duty, Excursion Supercharging Systems

DFK is right, if you want more power do gears, lot less than a supercharger,

air filters and exhaust will only get you so far.
Thanks.

I want to go with bigger tires (of course) than stock.

I know that gearing will be affected by tire size. I'd be content with 35"s on 20"s. What gearing do you suggest?

Old 04-30-2008, 05:55 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Originally Posted by MyEx
I'll take a look and get back with that. As for swapping out the gears, right now I have stock size tires. I want to go up as big as possible without having to lift the suspension at all, so tire size will be an issue I'm sure. I was looking at mounting 305's (35") tires on 20" rims. I want a custom set-up, but don't want it to stand out too much.
You will want to maintain a 4:30 gearing with the 35" tires for best performance. Heres a link to the tire calculator. Automotive Calculators offer to you by Ford Trucks Enthusiasts | www.ford-trucks.com 4:56 or 4:88 gears will be great for 35" tires, the V10 has no problem revving.

Heres a link to the recent thread down in the V10 forum on the exhaust I have on my truck currently. There is a sound clip in the thread as well.https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-fm70-mod.html $600 will get you a good cat-back or custom system. I recommend making shure you get mandrel bent tubing if you get a system fabbed at a local exhaust shop.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:58 PM
meanv10
Elder User
depends, what gears do you have right now? just right now you have a say a 30 inch tire so if you have 3.73 gears and want to to 35's then the math is. (35/30)*3.73= 4.351, so then you have to fond the next available size witch is 4.30, personally the change from stock tires to 35's wasn't as bad as i thought, and the only reason i would still do it is for a faster 0-60 otherwise i have no complaints.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:59 PM
meanv10
Elder User
Man right after i got done typing all that and DFK beats me to it, fricken A

Old 04-30-2008, 06:30 PM
MyEx
Junior User
Originally Posted by dkf
You will want to maintain a 4:30 gearing with the 35" tires for best performance. Heres a link to the tire calculator. Automotive Calculators offer to you by Ford Trucks Enthusiasts | www.ford-trucks.com 4:56 or 4:88 gears will be great for 35" tires, the V10 has no problem revving.

Heres a link to the recent thread down in the V10 forum on the exhaust I have on my truck currently. There is a sound clip in the thread as well.https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-fm70-mod.html $600 will get you a good cat-back or custom system. I recommend making shure you get mandrel bent tubing if you get a system fabbed at a local exhaust shop.
Thanks a lot D.

I think I'm going to go with just 305's (32.7") to keep the stock ride height only lifting the rear a bit (maybe with blocks).

If anything, I'll want to soften the straight ride and definately tighten the suspension (sway bars).

Old 04-30-2008, 06:43 PM
MyEx
Junior User
Originally Posted by meanv10
depends, what gears do you have right now? just right now you have a say a 30 inch tire so if you have 3.73 gears and want to to 35's then the math is. (35/30)*3.73= 4.351, so then you have to fond the next available size witch is 4.30, personally the change from stock tires to 35's wasn't as bad as i thought, and the only reason i would still do it is for a faster 0-60 otherwise i have no complaints.
It looks like it's going to be 4.30's for me.

I'm going to go with the 305's.

All I know is that when I plunge that accelerator, I want that truck to feel as if it's been kicked in the rear by Godzilla.

I want that nice controlled feel that the deeper I depress the pedal, the faster she goes. If I floor it, I want it to launch me into hyperspace.

The supercharger will be the last thing I do to the V10.

Freer than stock breathing (intake/exhaust), a good chip and the right gears with a good ignition (and of course good lubing & fluids).

I want to do things in steps. Simple add-ons that don't affect reliability.

1. Cat Back, air filter, plugs, wires, fuel pump, fluids.

2. Chip, Headers, Free Flow Cat. Ignition System.

(Maybe...)
3. Supercharger, Cam Kit, Tranny Work.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:46 PM
MyEx
Junior User
Not for nothing, but I sure wish Ford made a new Excursion.

The Expedition EL is nice, but I'd love to own a new Excursion with the latest tech.

But, I'll be completely happy with my Ex!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:08 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Originally Posted by MyEx
Thanks a lot D.

I think I'm going to go with just 305's (32.7") to keep the stock ride height only lifting the rear a bit (maybe with blocks).

If anything, I'll want to soften the straight ride and definately tighten the suspension (sway bars).
305s will fill out the wheel wells. I have 285/75/16 (33s) on my truck with no lift. 305s are 1" wider than 285s. I have 3:73s but am eventually going to swap to 4:30s and a truetrac in the rear, maybe even an e-locker up front, but its going to be a while. My truck moves very well with 3:73s and the mods I have on it, but I want more.

I'd like to see an Excursion put back in production in both 2-Door and 4-Door models. The Expedition EL with its IRS and 5.4l is a brain fart in my book.

As far as oil goes I switched over to Motorcraft 5-20. I was running full synthetics but the MC oil is top notch and I got tired of pissing away 3X more $$$ by using full synthetic for no difference in power, mpg or anything. I run full sythetics in the front diff, rear diff, transfer case and tranny though.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:41 AM
kaboom10
Elder User
I'm running 4.56 w/stock 31.6 inch tires. Using the OD puts it back to about stock RPMs. I used to never use OD trying to get performance. Mike did my tunes from Home .

Old 05-04-2008, 08:11 AM
MyEx
Junior User
Originally Posted by dkf
305s will fill out the wheel wells. I have 285/75/16 (33s) on my truck with no lift. 305s are 1" wider than 285s. I have 3:73s but am eventually going to swap to 4:30s and a truetrac in the rear, maybe even an e-locker up front, but its going to be a while. My truck moves very well with 3:73s and the mods I have on it, but I want more.

I'd like to see an Excursion put back in production in both 2-Door and 4-Door models. The Expedition EL with its IRS and 5.4l is a brain fart in my book.

As far as oil goes I switched over to Motorcraft 5-20. I was running full synthetics but the MC oil is top notch and I got tired of pissing away 3X more $$$ by using full synthetic for no difference in power, mpg or anything. I run full sythetics in the front diff, rear diff, transfer case and tranny though.
Excellent to know (on the oil thing). I hear that a lot that Motorcraft is what should go into the Ex's over upgraded additives.

I actually saw an artist rendering of a 2 door Ex that was being considered for production and it looked a lot like a Bronco (in fact, it was going to be the new Bronco!). It was sweet!

The Exp El is a nice looking truck (especially from the front doors back), but again...I won't go backwards.

And, I love my IB Suspension! Had it on my '85 F-150 and it was bulletproof!