Bio Price

Old 05-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Knotwild
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No matter what you use or how you make it, the cost is going up. Companies here that sell WVO feedstock have gone from $0.50/gal to $1.10/gal.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:28 AM
TXHillCountry
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Knotwild
No matter what you use or how you make it, the cost is going up. Companies here that sell WVO feedstock have gone from $0.50/gal to $1.10/gal.
True, but only for those buying WVO feedstocks from commercial sellers.

For those still acquiring WVO direct from restaurants, it's still pretty much free (time and driving expense not withstanding).

Old 05-05-2008, 11:06 AM
MLCRI$I$ II
Tuned
$4.49 for B100 (Amerigreen brand) in Lancaster, PA this past weekend.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
I'm probably not going to run bio for a while after running it 90% of all miles last year. The place I get mine was $3.29 about a year ago and has steadily increased it to $4.73 when I went there the other day. I probably would have sucked it up and payed but the smarty pants owner changed it to a card-lock system that you have to get all set up for. Now the only station I know of within 25 miles of anywhere I go is driving me away. It's Western States Oil in San Jose on 10th street. I am gonna miss them. I truly believe that we just need a little competition in that market to drive prices down.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:10 PM
tazo
Elder User
Originally Posted by Fat Diesel
I'm probably not going to run bio for a while after running it 90% of all miles last year. The place I get mine was $3.29 about a year ago and has steadily increased it to $4.73 when I went there the other day. I probably would have sucked it up and payed but the smarty pants owner changed it to a card-lock system that you have to get all set up for. Now the only station I know of within 25 miles of anywhere I go is driving me away. It's Western States Oil in San Jose on 10th street. I am gonna miss them. I truly believe that we just need a little competition in that market to drive prices down.
Biodiesel.org - Distributors

Here is a list from the NBB. There has to be someone close to you.
I agree that there needs to be more competition. Biodiesel should just not cost so much. I was yelled at from my sister/secretary for my fuel bill last month. She said wow! The price to go green is ridiculous. I believe in Cal in order to buy B100 you need to be a BUG member.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:59 PM
adambomb
Posting Guru
yeah im a BUG (biodiesel user group) member but have never been turned away if i forgot my card.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:01 PM
travisg96
Junior User
There has to be something that you can get oil from that will grow like a weed. I have heard rumors that they could get oil from stubble left over from the grass seed production. there have to be some sort of grass crops that would grow in area's were other food crops won't. That would be the answer to the food VS fuel discussion. If you could find something that you can get more than on yearly crop from that would reduce the cost also.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:28 PM
seizure911
Senior User
Biodiesel in boulder is $5.99 a gallon. Years ago, I met one of the founders of a now larger biodiesel company. Back then diesel was 1.69 a gal. He told me about biodiesel and how at that time they were making it from wvo at a cost of about .60 a gallon. I asked him where they sold it and how much cheaper than diesel it was. He told me they sell it for 2.69 a gallon and told me the same response I get from most "green" businesses-"people should be willing to pay more for it because it is good for the environment." I get this same response everywhere from "green" suppliers. It is all about the $$$, if they were really about being "green" they would sell it for less and have more people use it, make less per sale but the same overalll as their sales would increase. Unfortunately, green=greed. They are worse than big oil.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by travisg96
There has to be something that you can get oil from that will grow like a weed. I have heard rumors that they could get oil from stubble left over from the grass seed production. there have to be some sort of grass crops that would grow in area's were other food crops won't. That would be the answer to the food VS fuel discussion. If you could find something that you can get more than on yearly crop from that would reduce the cost also.
There is it is called Camelina

Old 05-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru

Better yet is algae

Old 05-14-2008, 01:16 PM
travisg96
Junior User
Originally Posted by Phydeaux88

Better yet is algae
Yes that is good. But will you be able to grow it anywhere in the US or just where the weather permits.

Also, can the biomass left over after extracting the oil be used in fermintation for ethanol?

Old 05-15-2008, 12:20 AM
travisg96
Junior User
Just went to the Sequentuial station and Bio was $4.79 gal.
Eugene, OR

Old 05-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Yes that is good. But will you be able to grow it anywhere in the US or just where the weather permits.
I believe camelina grows best in cooler climates; however, algae grows best in sunbelt areas. The point is there are many crops that are better sources of oil than corn and soybeans. Many of them will grow in areas not useful for food crops. If folks had done some simple research, instead of the kneejerk response we've experienced, the corn for ethanol problem would not have occurred and food prices would not have risen to astronomical levels.

can the biomass left over after extracting the oil be used in fermintation for ethanol?
Yes it can also be used as animal feed.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:46 AM
howardq99
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I saw this video on another Biofuels web site....

Valcent Products Inc,. - High Density Vertical Bioreactor - HDVB - Fri May 16, 2008

"Valcent is a company in Texas that claims they can grow algae to produce oil yields of 100,000 gallons per acre using their High Density Vertical Bioreactor."

Disclaimer: Valcent is a penny stock company that I do not own. I just thought it was a good example of a company thinking outside the box.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:33 AM
travisg96
Junior User
Per acre? As I recall the last time I saw something on algae they weer growing it in bags in the desert. At that rate you have a whole lot of unusable space to grow your product. I think I may look into their stock because something has to change drastically to lower the cost of fuel. Although they already have the price at $4.75 and somehow I can't see it getting any cheaper corporate greed being what it is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bio Price