leftmost timing cover bolt

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2002, 06:17 PM
bjoern
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just noticed a coolant leak at the leftmost (facing the engine) timing cover bolt (where one of the water outlets for the pump to engine is - see image). A mechanic had broken off the bolt as he replaced the water pump. What kind of bolt goes in there? Is it a stud from the egine block or is it a bolt that goes through both water pump and timing cover into the engine block?
What do you suggest I can do to fix it?

http://brembs.net/cars/t_cover.jpg

Old 01-06-2002, 08:40 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,700 Likes on 1,375 Posts

Should be a bolt, I think it's 5/16-18 but who knows how long. They are all different lengths. This is a real job on a ford, just because there are so many bolts. Count yourself lucky he got the alternator bolt out of the alternator.

Needless to say, you are going to have to take it all apart again. But this time, you will have to pull the timing cover off too. This also involves taking the front bolts out of the oil pan, and loosening the rest of the oil pan bolts to be able to get the timing cover off. Once you strip down the front of the engine, hopefully there's enough of the broken bolt left to get some visegrips on it and try to get the broken bolt out. If it breaks off again, or is flush with the block, you will probably end up drilling it out. If it is stuck enough to break off, I doubt an e-z out will get it out. The problem is, drilling it out and re-tapping the threads is a touchy job, because you need to keep the drill in the middle of the bolt. While your in there, check the timing chain, and go ahead and replace it if it never has been done, because it's probably a plastic gear and these will fall apart over time.

Old 01-06-2002, 11:20 PM
airharley
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-Jan-02 AT 00:23 AM (EST)]Funny you would have the same bolt snap on you that did on me. I ended up going to NAPA auto to buy the new ones for $.22 a piece. The only size they didn't have was the 7" bolts you will find on the bottom of the water pump inlet and outlet holes coming from the block. To find the length without removing the bolts, measure from the front of the block to the flat machined surface of where the bolt goes then add 1/2".

As for your question of what it goes to. It goes through the water pump and the timing cover. Also the reason it broke off is the bolt threads sits exposed in the coolant passage and they fused to the block. It took three drill bits to finally get through the broken shank. Oh yeah the bolts are grade 8 and 5/16th. Like Franklin2 said take your time. And DON'T forget to center punch the bolt shank. If the shank is fused to the block try to grind it down until you have a flat surface to center punch. Otherwise you will end up missing the center and drilling the block. And be careful not to disturb the mounting surface on the block.

Old 01-09-2002, 07:35 PM
bjoern
Senior User

Thanks for all the tips! I'll keep them in mind as soon as I get around to fixing it. Probing the hole where the bolt was, I found out one good thing, though: apparently the bolt snapped in the water pump and not right at the block. That means I should be able to weld another bolt onto it to get it out. Phew, that should make things a lot easier!

Old 01-10-2002, 03:01 PM
airharley
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not use channel locks. You will find out a lot faster if it fused to the block or not. Otherwise you just spent time welding for nothing. Another thing is if it snapped in the water pump you shouldn't have to remove the timing cover to get at the bolt. Once the bolt snapped all of the torque was removed from the bolt. So it should just back out.

Old 01-10-2002, 03:20 PM
bjoern
Senior User

I'll definitely try to get the bolt off with (locking) pliers before I weld something on it. But if it's stuck, it's not as bad as it first looked. I'll also try to get the bolt out without pulling the timing cover, replace it with a new bolt and see if it's tight. That might be a little tough, though since it's most likely just a small piece to hold on to.
I'll just have to get the parts for the worst, take the water pump off and see how far I get

Old 01-12-2002, 12:17 AM
Franklin2

Welding on the bolt is not that bad of an idea, since heating and cooling the bolt may help free it up in the block.

Old 01-12-2002, 06:40 PM
bjoern
Senior User

That's exactly what I thought, too...

Old 01-19-2002, 09:37 PM
Franklin2

Old 01-20-2002, 08:56 PM
bjoern
Senior User

Thanks to you guys I managed to fix everything in one weekend! We had to use a torch to heat the two bolts (one aparently from the previous owner) that were stuck to get them out. Check out the webpage in my sig for details. I even managed to find some bolts to replace the broken ones. I also installed an electric fan, since everything had to come off anyway
So thanks again, that was a huge help! I just love this site!