Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New guy here.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 12:09 PM
luvnoil
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New guy here.....

I have spent days pouring over the information available on this site. I now have a much better understanding of my diesel. Thank you all!

Now, I have a few items that I still don't fully understand.
The first is that I disconnected the red hose going to my wastegate actuator. Do I understand correctly that this is good for standard driving but self defeating in situations requiring higher fuel usage due to defueling?

My truck started running really rough over a year ago and the dealer installed some sort of "fix" for the wiring harness. I noticed slightly less power after. Is there something other than the "fix" that should have been repaired or replaced?

I get vibration when taking off from a stop. This only happens if I get on it and stops about the time it changes gears. It was just noticeable when I got the truck and is obvious now. I have read all about the u-joints, splines and yokes. Not a mechanic though.
I also notice a "hop" between 40 and 50. That's the best way i can describe it. The truck just sort of bounces. Not all the time. When it happens the only way to get it to stop is to speed up or slow down.

I thank you for you input in advance.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:36 PM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
Welcome luvnoil you came to the right place . But give us some info on you truck ,what year , what model , drive train ,miles , modifications.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:38 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
welcome to FTE! For specific questions....you'll get alot more responses if you post a new thread about them, that way everybody can see what the topic is before opening the post. Don't be afraid to ask any questions, we're all here to share knowledge.....that's the best part of FTE! Always tons of guys willing to help out!

Old 04-22-2008, 12:55 PM
luvnoil
New User
My truck is a stock 2002 F250 extended cab, standard box.
My mod is a K&N intake.

When I bought my truck I had no idea what I was getting. I just new that I wanted a powerstroke diesel. It was low miles and felt good. I discovered that the factory intake had been scavenged off of it and a conical air filter was just clamped onto the inlet.

I do plan on upgrading to the most highly recommended air intake when I find out what that is.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:58 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I think you'll find that the Napa 6637 air filter is the most commonly used mod around here. It's got great filtration, definitely a LOT better air flow then stock, and gives you a great custom look after ya get a custom cover made for it by a member on here! It's much cheaper then most brands of filters too. You'll be learning ALOT of stuff on here....better buckle up! lol

Old 04-22-2008, 01:01 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Get rid of that K&N ASAP. Most of the people here have a very negative opinion of K&N when used on a diesel. It lets too much fine particulate into the intake tract which eventually "dusts" the turbo. Many of us have gone to the 6637 Mod. Look here: Click link You can get it cheapest from here: Click link It's about 2/3 of the way down the page.

It has begun...PMS will take root in you my son. Feel the power of the DARKSIDE!!!

Old 04-22-2008, 01:10 PM
luvnoil
New User
Will that filter fit on the intake tube that came with the K&N?

BTW, I have a suspicion that there is already something up with my turbo. I just don't have a place to work on it. And I don't have the know-how yet.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:30 PM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by luvnoil
Will that filter fit on the intake tube that came with the K&N?

BTW, I have a suspicion that there is already something up with my turbo. I just don't have a place to work on it. And I don't have the know-how yet.
The 6637 fits on a 4" tube

Old 04-22-2008, 01:40 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by HKusp
Get rid of that K&N ASAP. Most of the people here have a very negative opinion of K&N when used on a diesel. It lets too much fine particulate into the intake tract which eventually "dusts" the turbo. Many of us have gone to the 6637 Mod. Look here: Click link You can get it cheapest from here: Click link It's about 2/3 of the way down the page.

It has begun...PMS will take root in you my son. Feel the power of the DARKSIDE!!!

I LOVE your new sig line!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:34 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome to FTE you are going to love it here

Old 04-22-2008, 08:42 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I also notice a "hop" between 40 and 50. That's the best way i can describe it. The truck just sort of bounces. Not all the time. When it happens the only way to get it to stop is to speed up or slow down.

I thank you for you input in advance.
Welcome to

I had what I called a tromp which sounds similar to your bounce or hop. Mine was between 43 and about 48 MPH. The tires were out of round. Had the tires trued and it went away. If they used a whole lot of weight balancing your tires then they may be out of round.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:42 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I love it here!!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:47 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck is a stock 2002 F250 extended cab, standard box.
My mod is a K&N intake.

When I bought my truck I had no idea what I was getting. I just new that I wanted a powerstroke diesel. It was low miles and felt good. I discovered that the factory intake had been scavenged off of it and a conical air filter was just clamped onto the inlet. (kinda sounds like the 6637 mod doesn't it, scavenged is such a harsh word.)

I do plan on upgrading to the most highly recommended air intake when I find out what that is.
There is nothing wrong with the 6637 though.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:02 PM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the site please read my sig. below for useful K&N info....

Old 04-22-2008, 09:06 PM
farmdad
Posting Guru
Welcome to FTE. Yes, the 6637 will fit on the K&N pipe. Might have to encourage it a little but it does fit.