1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 05:37 PM
crazyscott
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!!

i have a 1960 F-100 i just rebuilt the engine and trany. i am haveing a little troble getting the trany to slide back in. i do have the clutch lined up and have also tryed lubeing the input shaft with no luck. i was wondering if anyone had any ideas to help me get this backt to geather. i am hopeing to get it to the body shop soon. thank you for your time.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:59 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
How did you line the clutch up, with a tapered sliding metal thing, or a splined shaft out an old tranny, or a broom stick? All will work but it sound like its not lined up. You could try some longer bolts to carefully and cautiously lightly pull it in a little and then engage the clutch to center it?

Old 04-19-2008, 06:16 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the imput shaft is started in the clutch and you can push the clutch pedal in the clutch will center and you can alighn the imput shaft into the pilot bearing by wiggling the tranny around while someone hold the pedal in. Are you sure you have the correct pilot bearing?

Old 04-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Scott123
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by homade
Are you sure you have the correct pilot bearing?
I ditto that...I had an incorrect inside diameter pilot bushing supplied by a parts store once and there was no way it was going to fit the end of the shaft.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:25 AM
manglass
More Turbo
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Are you SURE you have it lined up exactly? If you are, are sure you have the correct clutch disc? If you did not test fit the pilot bushing (if you changed it) and the clutch disc to the input shaft before you put them in the truck it's time to take it apart and check. Normally not a problem, but compare the length of the throwout bearing to the old.

Lou Manglass