Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Vibration while turning!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 03:14 AM
paulcurr
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration while turning!

First of all, I am a newbie for actually posting here at FTEF, however over the last year I have learned a lot of valuable info. from the very informed people on this site. I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to help other people with there delemas. Let's keep the Ford name alive and proud! So, here is my problem; I am getting a vibration from the rear end when turning corners, it is worse when I pull a trailer. I really have to accelerate very slow when I am pulling to avoid major vibration. The entire truck vibrates violately if I accelerate too quickly. When I am running without a trailer I don't normally feel anything out of the ordinary all. I have a 2002 SD long bed super cab, which I bought used a year ago. It has a limited slip rearend, automatic trans. and long bed. Can anybody help me? Thanks for your time and patience!

Old 04-15-2008, 08:19 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could you describe the vibration in a little more detail? Is your rear axle a limited slip unit?

My advice would be to start by looking at what kind of shape your shock absorbers are in.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:31 AM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by paulcurr
First of all, I am a newbie for actually posting here at FTEF, however over the last year I have learned a lot of valuable info. from the very informed people on this site. I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to help other people with there delemas. Let's keep the Ford name alive and proud! So, here is my problem; I am getting a vibration from the rear end when turning corners, it is worse when I pull a trailer. I really have to accelerate very slow when I am pulling to avoid major vibration. The entire truck vibrates violately if I accelerate too quickly. When I am running without a trailer I don't normally feel anything out of the ordinary all. I have a 2002 SD long bed super cab, which I bought used a year ago. It has a limited slip rearend, automatic trans. and long bed. Can anybody help me? Thanks for your time and patience!
Try changing the fluid in the rear ,, look for shavings in the fluid ,, Friction modifier added ?...

Old 04-15-2008, 03:05 PM
paulcurr
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, first I will answer some questions. I just had my trans. professionally built about 1,800 miles ago and the vibration never changed. I do have gages and watch them closely. My trans fluid is still bright red and smells new. I have AFE intake, AFE 4" exhaust and a DP tuner, which rocks by the way. I just checked my leaf spring and they are in good shape. I also put new Reflex shocks on the truck about 5,000 miles ago. I also changed my transfercase fluid when I did the trans. Other than that I don't know what has been done to the truck.

I am going to explain my vibration a little more in detail. When I turn and accelerate slowly with a load it seems to vibrate a little. If I accelerate like I would like to, the truck actually shakes hard as if you were in an earthquake. The heavier the load the worse it gets. When I run without a load, I barely notice it unless I put the hammer down around a corner, from a stand still.

Sounds like I need to change the rearend fluid. What kind should I use? It does have the limited slip, however, it doesn't seem to work real well.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:02 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Any chance it has a real locker in it, instead of the stock clutch-based Ford Traction-Lok?