Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 09:10 AM
evan_nugget
Laughing Gas
Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts
Well I hit my big six with some oven cleaner about 2 weeks ago and popped the hood today to check the oil and see what's leaking. Looks like I've got a leaky pushrod cover gasket.

Heck of it is, though, I only lose about 1/3 qt of oil every 4,000 miles. So I probably won't mess with it.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:16 AM
ZombieF150
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Replaced the thermostat,gasket bled the cooling system system,changed out the belt tensioner idler pulley and put on a new serpentine belt. Put the old one in the toolbox "just in case"

If you ever go to bleed your cooling system,invest in one of those spill proof funnel kits designed for it. Gawd it makes it so much easier to get the air out. put the proper size cap/connector combo on, insert funnel, fill it about half way and start the engine, as the thermostat opens the funnel being the highest point in the system allows the air to come out and it is replaced with coolant.refill as needed, run til no more bubbles come out of the system,shut of the engine,plug the funnel with the included funnel plug and empy it back into your coolant jug. remove cap and adapter,replace with regular radiator cap. no muss no fuss.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:32 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ZombieF150
Replaced the thermostat,gasket bled the cooling system system,changed out the belt tensioner idler pulley and put on a new serpentine belt. Put the old one in the toolbox "just in case"

If you ever go to bleed your cooling system,invest in one of those spill proof funnel kits designed for it. Gawd it makes it so much easier to get the air out. put the proper size cap/connector combo on, insert funnel, fill it about half way and start the engine, as the thermostat opens the funnel being the highest point in the system allows the air to come out and it is replaced with coolant.refill as needed, run til no more bubbles come out of the system,shut of the engine,plug the funnel with the included funnel plug and empy it back into your coolant jug. remove cap and adapter,replace with regular radiator cap. no muss no fuss.
A vacuum fill system is also a great investment. Apply vacuum. Let is sit and verify no air leaks. Then open the vacuum line in the coolant jug. It'll suck in what it needs, no adding, no worries about air pockets, no having to recheck for leaks after filling.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:47 PM
Ddaybc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been having some difficulty opening the drivers side door so I bought the reinforcement plates for both doors from Bronco Graveyard and installed them today. They are noticeably more SOLID now. No more difficulty in opening the door. Well made and a perfect fit.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:42 PM
Richard S
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good for you ~ glad to get that done I'll bet ```

Old 03-06-2019, 05:42 PM
jplinville
Posting Guru
I found a guy about 2 hours away that had a truck come to him from Oklahoma, that was ripe for the picking. I went down, and came back with both doors, the hood, and the tailgate. They aren't the right colors, but that can be changed. Since I have an XLT Lariat, with manual doors (I don't think that combination is common) I need to see if it has the right plug and power in the kick panel to operate power doors, seeing as these new ones are power. If not, I'll be swapping the guts around starting this weekend. I'm hoping I can find the Bright Regatta Blue Metallic in a spray at the parts house to spray the inside of the doors...they're currently red, and I need blue.

The new doors don't have a lick of rust on them...they're perfect parts. I'll likely go back next month and grab up the fenders, too. Mine aren't bad, but I hate dealing with holes.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:27 PM
Inside Man
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jplinville
I found a guy about 2 hours away that had a truck come to him from Oklahoma, that was ripe for the picking. I went down, and came back with both doors, the hood, and the tailgate. They aren't the right colors, but that can be changed. Since I have an XLT Lariat, with manual doors (I don't think that combination is common) I need to see if it has the right plug and power in the kick panel to operate power doors, seeing as these new ones are power. If not, I'll be swapping the guts around starting this weekend. I'm hoping I can find the Bright Regatta Blue Metallic in a spray at the parts house to spray the inside of the doors...they're currently red, and I need blue.

The new doors don't have a lick of rust on them...they're perfect parts. I'll likely go back next month and grab up the fenders, too. Mine aren't bad, but I hate dealing with holes.
You might want to scuff the crap out of the red paint and use a LT. Grey primer on it. Other wise that red paint is gonna be really hard to cover up.

Good luck. Hope it goes well. I to would rather replace panels than do patch work.

Post pics of your process as well as before and afters if you have the time.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:58 AM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I finally found some alloy rims- Ford original, no less. The older lug pattern is surprisingly hard to find. The truck is no beauty, but they help some.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:12 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by FLgargoyle
I finally found some alloy rims- Ford original, no less. The older lug pattern is surprisingly hard to find. The truck is no beauty, but they help some.
I think the truck has a nice classic look. Hey those Firestone's, isn't that what originally came on these trucks?

Old 03-07-2019, 09:01 AM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
Received 226 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Benztechnc
Hey those Firestone's, isn't that what originally came on these trucks?
Dropped the spare off my 1986 F150. This Firestone Supreme was original to the truck. This is only the second time this tire has been dropped out. Only other time was maybe 10 years ago for gas tank work. It spent about 5000 miles on the right front before being rotated to the spare tire rack. Went to 30/9.50 Michelin shortly after that. Yes, this truck has never had a flat tire! Still has air!

Old 03-07-2019, 09:14 AM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Firestones won by default. The truck came with two brand new ones on the front, and worn, mismatched tires on the back. When I found the rims, I purchased two more matching F'stones, and had the whole shootin' match mounted. I wish I could figure out an easy way to finish removing the clearcoat. About half of it has come off, but I'd have to remove all of it to put even a cheap paint job on it. I also need a drivers side door, as mine is cracked up by the mirror, and has numerous small dents. The rest of the truck is straight and rust free. It runs and drives nice with only 137K miles on the clock.

Last edited by FLgargoyle; 03-07-2019 at 09:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-07-2019, 10:46 AM
jplinville
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Inside Man
You might want to scuff the crap out of the red paint and use a LT. Grey primer on it. Other wise that red paint is gonna be really hard to cover up.

Good luck. Hope it goes well. I to would rather replace panels than do patch work.

Post pics of your process as well as before and afters if you have the time.
I planned on it. My paint job will be a cheap one. I'm doing it with Rustoleum, using roam brush for nooks and crannies, and a foam roller for everything else. I did this to another vehicle in the past, and it still looks good after 7 years.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:15 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
on my 89 5.8 f350 ive been coplaining all winter about 5mpg, went to time it last night, and i had left it at TDC this whole time after rebuilding the heads and installing new head gaskets and stufff! geez louise... now its timed at 10 deg.. got its giddy up back, hope to see a improvement in MPG which im sure i will! sometimes you forget the simple stuff i guess.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:46 PM
lisagoud
Posting Guru
Old 03-12-2019, 08:44 PM
S2K0331
New User
Bought a 97 F350

Hey y’all! Just picked up this 1997 F-350 5.8 with 69k miles! My first truck ever but I previously had a 1989 LTD crown vic so this truck brings back a lot of nostalgia. Pretty clean inside and out, typical rust but I’ve got big plans.

I already changed the door speakers and the rear cab speakers are up next tomorrow, super easy to work on though compared to my past cars!

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?