Need Timeing Help PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 07:37 PM
TheNomad
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:-X11 Hello every boddy. OK. First take it eazzy on me. I dont know how to do the timeing on my truck . i've looked in my book But they dont show how you do it. I know you turn the distributor. The timeing on my 79 302 is 8º BTDC. Can any one help me?
I geting a timeing light tommorow.
I know this might sound kinda sad. But i'm still learning
Any help wound be wonderfull. Thank you all for your time.

(May the Ford be with you)
I know that saying is used to much but hey it;s still cool.

Old 06-13-2002, 04:52 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Heres what you do with your timing: first, leave all vacuum lines hooked up, then turn the distributor clockwise with engine running until it starts to run a little rough or buck, back it off just a little, lock it down and test drive, if engine pings under accelleration back timing off JUST A LITTLE at a time until it stops pinging on test runs, you need to have whatever grade of gasoline in your tank that you normally run before setting the timing, after timing is set THEN you can adjust your carb.

Old 06-13-2002, 04:54 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

P.S. RETURN THE TIMING LIGHT,YOU DON'T NEED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-13-2002, 08:39 PM
TheNomad
Elder User

Thank you so much Supercab!
I did return the Light. and it runs smooth! now!.
Now all I need to do is get this carb tooned in.

Thank you again sooo much!

79 f150 Ranger

Old 06-14-2002, 07:28 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

If you need help on your carb. adjustment please just ask & I'll walk you through it, it is easy to do, are you doing a tune-up or something??

Old 06-16-2002, 03:33 PM
TheNomad
Elder User

Hello! Supercab. Thank you for the help. Well No I had got a new edelbrock carb and manifold. But befor I could put it on, I broke my foot. So now. I'm geting it put on. I got the timeing where I think it should be. But it dosent seem to have any guts. When I try and take off it dies.. Do you think its my carb. It's a 1405 4bbl

Old 06-16-2002, 03:46 PM
TheNomad
Elder User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 16-Jun-02 AT 04:47 PM (EST)]Thank you again Supercab

Old 06-17-2002, 03:52 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Nomad, Sorry to hear about your foot, hope it heals quick!
I'm not real familiar with Edelbrock carbs, if its a 600 cfm,its too much carb for a stock 302, I ran a 600cfm Holley on my stock '79 302 for a while, and found the same thing you have, your engine had better power with the original 2 barrel carb, I'm running a stock Autoline 4v carb from a '66 289 Mustang that has 480 cfm rating, it kicks *** pretty good pulling my big F150 Supercab on down the road.
The Edelbrock carb may also be a mechanical secondary type, and that will only be worse that a vacuum operated secondary type carb.
You might want to consider going back to your stock 2v intake & getting a Holley 500cfm 2v carb, I'm not sure if that Edelbrock carb can be jetted down far enough to work well on your stock 302.
It looks as if no one else has any interest in answering your questions on here, so you are welcome to Email me privatly if you want.
Good Luck!!!

Old 06-18-2002, 03:00 AM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru

There are no mechanical secondary Edelbrock carbs, they are all like the Cater AFB, they are strickly vacuum only. before I modified my engine, I used the Edelbrock 600 carb, and as long as you don't floor it everywhere, you're gonna get much better milage than with your 2 bbl. I've used all the carbs y'all are talking about, and here's what I got out of them:

2 bbl Motorcraft: 11.6 MPG
600cfm, 4bbl Holley 4150: 10 MPG
600cfm, 4 bbl Edelbrock 1406: 13-16 MPG
(your results may vary, this is just my independant result)

and every one of them was in near perfect mechanical tune, using O2 sensors to idealize jetting. The reason why you're saying the 600 is too much is because Holleys are so difficult to tune that they almost never run well on the street, and even when you can tune them well, they don't stay in tune for longer than a single race. the Edelbrock 1406 is the best carb to run on any street-driven small block V8, and it should run very well right out of the box. I went to a larger primary jet, just to make up for the added airflow in my engine, but other than that, my carb is in the same shape it was when I bought it 3 years ago. I'd look for ignition problems before I point the finger at the carb, though. And hope your foot gets better soon!

'77 F100, 302 (the aftermarket Prodigy), C4
Cadet Second Lieutenant John F. Daly III
South Carolina Corps of Cadets, The Citadel
The TorqueKing

Old 06-19-2002, 03:41 PM
teschwab
Senior User

the best 4 bbl carb ever built for fords was fords own 4100 autolite. now that i have that out of my system! i have a question how can a carb go out of tune. does the carb change or does the engine change.

Old 06-20-2002, 05:59 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Cuz CAR CRAFT said so!!!!!!

Old 06-20-2002, 10:49 PM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru

'cause I said so, I've owned both of them, and the Holley ran so good I couldn't keep the tires planted sometimes, other times it ran so poorly that it wouldn't idle at all, and wouldn't start if you let it die. All I did is put the Edelbrock on, not change anything at all, and it picked up my fuel economy, and never, never has "attitudes" or "fits". I've never used the Autolite, but I'm listening to what you're saying. I'm not speculating about this one, or even passing on unexperienced knowledge, I just know that Edelbrock carburetors will not act up, and perform more consistently than Holleys. I'll admit that in the hands of a Pro Racer, a Holley is more capable of bigger power at WOT, but as much as I love wrenching, I really don't want to fix it and retune it every time I drive somewhere.

'77 F100, 302 (the aftermarket Prodigy), C4
Cadet Second Lieutenant John F. Daly III
South Carolina Corps of Cadets, The Citadel
The TorqueKing

Old 06-21-2002, 08:46 AM
teschwab
Senior User

oh okay..... i love this site. by the way don't believe everything you read in chevy craft oops.. i ment car craft. seriously we know that the engine changes from the moment its fired to the moment it blows. i have heard people go round after round on the out of tune carb. i mean for instance if torqueking finds that the edelbrock carb works better and it needs very little attention once installed. i would think that the edelbrock is more flexible and forgiving as the engine wears. oh by the way the CUZ car craft said so is a real hoot. i laughed so hard my side hurt. thanks

Old 06-21-2002, 10:43 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

If anyone wants to....go & check out the Pony Carburetors web site, they specialize in the Autolite 4100 series 4v carb, the owner of the place shows that more cfm is not always better, it should be noted that the old HiPo 289, with 271 horsepower and 10.somthing to 1 compression ratio only needs 600 cfm of carbureation, and BTW my old,old,old rebuilt by a pro Holley runs great, been on the engine over 5 years, never had to re-adjust it, but then I'm not constsntly running down the dragstrip with my truck either.
I'll bet the Holley 450cfm 4v that folks use on the modified 300 inline sixes would be a good choice for an out of the box carb for a late low compression 302.

Old 06-22-2002, 08:59 PM
TheNomad
Elder User

Wow and all of this came from me wanting a little help with my timeing...

My bro has a Edelbrock and he has never had to mess with it.
My dad use to have a old chevy. 305 with a edellbrock never had to touch it. A farmer I ues to work with had a 78 250. I dont remmeber the engine size. I think it was a 460 I cant really remmeber. He put a holly on it. And all I can remmeber is him saying how much he hated that holly. Run like a dream one day and like a flameing pice of crap the next. My carb that came with my truck was a holly. And well I have a edelbrock now. And My uncle who is a ASE master mechanic Who WORKS FOR FORD! Told me to get a 600 CFM. He has a 1979 f150 ranger just like mine. And in his own words "michael dont get a holly your'll wish you hadnt" I would ask him but he stays so busy I cant get a hold of him. And well him liveing 2,000 miles away dont help much to. I have my timeing right now. It's just my carb is running way rich. And I dont really know how to tune it .

My your life be like the road
Long and wide and never ending

Quick Reply: Need Timeing Help PLEASE!