Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Banks Powerpack system for v10 ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 12:06 PM
kenneBF250V10
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know.

I use to have the Banks Power Pack on mine prior to the supercharger and I liked it a lot. Power increase was good and the gas mileage increase was great.

However, once you start down the road of doing mods for more power you never come back, you always want more, which is what happened to me. I took the power pack off because I wanted more power. The headers eventually came off and I sold them but I still have the Ottomind in a garage somewhere.

Contrary to what some people may believe, I discovered that when I installed the supercharger the headers were hurting my low-end tq, which was proven on the dyno. The horsepower was up a little but the low-end went down. Heavy trucks like these need all of the torque they can get. I switched back and forth until I found the best setup which ended up being the stock exhaust manifolds a hi-flow cat and the Banks exhaust.

The Power Pack on a naturally aspirated motor works great. The exhaust is one of the best sounding in my opinion.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:13 PM
huntinzombie
Senior User

Love mine. I've had it on for about 2 years now and the only thing I would do differently is to forget the Otto-mind chip. I was not impressed with the power increase when I put it in. The headers, Y-pipe, and muffler are awesome; top quality stuff. I would get the system minus the Otto-mind and get a tuner from SCT. I have only heard good things about them.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Wolfboro
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone made a "US Patent Search" to see if any of the so-called performance kits are patented ? That would be an important step to protect a " really " working technology from being copied by others. Also , it could be an important justification in the decision making process .

Few years ago I heard that the said individual had been employed by Ford Motor Co. as a designer for decades . I had a US patent search and I did not encounter any automotive technology related patent owned by Ford Motor Co. as the said individual being the "inventor" . (If you do know any relevant patent , please let me know the patent number)

I found it a bit strange that someone who had worked in a world class , dynamic automotive industry environment for decades without a single patent under his belt . I may be wrong with my approach , but it is just another way of looking at it . I am sure that everyone is making the right purchasing decision and happy with the performance outcome .

Ken

Old 04-12-2008, 10:02 PM
OverEngineer
Senior User
Banks Kit Owner Responds

I have the complete kit installed with the 100hp "off road" only chip.

My milage used to be 6 to 9 mpg. Now I'm getting 8.5 to 10. I doubt the HP gain is that high. It is more responsive. Folks love the sound, which is tricky for a V10. A confirmed Chevy guy said..."first Ford he's ever liked the sound of"

For articulation my exhaust is bobbed prior to the rear axle. Everything seems to work well. The kit is well made. The Flange is the thickest of any I found on the market.

Overall, I'm happy with it

Old 04-12-2008, 10:25 PM
OverEngineer
Senior User
Big Tease

Very unfair! You have a Kenne Bell twin screw supercharger and the rest of us can't even find them - now that they're discontinued...

Originally Posted by kenneBF250V10
I don't know.

I use to have the Banks Power Pack on mine prior to the supercharger and I liked it a lot. Power increase was good and the gas mileage increase was great.

However, once you start down the road of doing mods for more power you never come back, you always want more, which is what happened to me. I took the power pack off because I wanted more power. The headers eventually came off and I sold them but I still have the Ottomind in a garage somewhere.

Contrary to what some people may believe, I discovered that when I installed the supercharger the headers were hurting my low-end tq, which was proven on the dyno. The horsepower was up a little but the low-end went down. Heavy trucks like these need all of the torque they can get. I switched back and forth until I found the best setup which ended up being the stock exhaust manifolds a hi-flow cat and the Banks exhaust.

The Power Pack on a naturally aspirated motor works great. The exhaust is one of the best sounding in my opinion.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:41 PM
tschram
New User
6.8L V10 headers?

I have a 99 F250 V10 and am not impressed at all with power, especially towing. If I go to headers and Y pipe do i still need the O2 sensor or will a new tuner delete that?

Old 05-05-2012, 06:58 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
You need the precat O2 sensors, the headers will retain those. If you have a post cat O2 and delete it you will need to turn off that particular O2. You do not have to delete any O2s with the Banks kit.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:30 PM
bigbadgixxer
Senior User
love my banks kit got a smoking deal from clark at autoanything top quality kit good gains mileage aroung 9.5 w 36" nittos

Old 05-08-2012, 07:59 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Back in 1999 I put a complete Borla exhaust on my F250 V10. Borla headers, Y and cat back. I also put in a drop in K&N filter and enlarged the snorkel opening thru the grill. (used a large Pineapple juice can lol) Around town it didn't make that much difference but on the hwy and towing it really did. MPG went up and less downshifting on hills. I would do it again in a heartbeat! The Hedman headers look just like the Borla's. Not a long tube but not shorties either.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:44 PM
tschram
New User
Thanks for all the input, sounds like its something worth doing. So is borla or hedman the best way to go, or is the banks kit without the ottomind the same. Also has anyone tried 5 star tuning on these early V10's with a 5spd manual?

Old 05-10-2012, 02:19 PM
HuntsDucks70
Senior User
Originally Posted by i eat hybrids
Someone up in the excursion forum put one on his ex v-10 before he sold it and said he didnt feel any gains. I think its not worth it.
so you don't have any personal experience but read about a guy, that......

i have had the banks power pack on my truck for over 10 years and my truck will walk away from my cousins truck (no headers, but cat back) when we play. never a leak, crack or any hint of a failure. i did the install in my driveway in one weekend. worht the money? to me yes, i really enjoy the gains. if you plan on selling the truck in a few years, then i probably would not do it. if you are in it for the long haul it is worth it.

good luck sir!

Old 05-11-2012, 12:08 AM
cay5628
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I did the Banks powerpack, the headers and exhaust are excellent, good workmanship, everything fits nice; the chip is kind of ho hum, I expected more. But did feel a difference with the whole package when towing the car hauler near it's 10K gvw across country. To me it was worth it, but I did end up changing out the gears several years after this install to accommodate 35" tires, which really made a difference. I am looking at the 5 Star tunes for the 2005 V10, it has better options than the Ottomind chip from Banks. I've had the banks stuff on my Excursion for 6 years plus now and don't regret it.