GlowPlug Code and lack of power

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 04:23 PM
mikiey
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GlowPlug Code and lack of power

Hello all,
OK I have done some searching and am getting all kinds of answers from simple to things I dont want to mess with.

I have a 2000 Ex with 145000 miles on it. the truck has started to show lack of power, long warm-up, rough idle and now I have glow plug codes. The other day I pulled a P0676 and a P0683 code and am wondering if this could cause the power problems.

I dont have any smoke out of the exhaust.

Any Ideas

Tanks in advance

Old 04-05-2008, 04:44 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First off, welcome to FTE.
The glow plugs, whether they work or not, will not hurt your power. They only stay on for a max of a few minutes after first key on. The fact that you have GP codes could indicate you have a loose UVC harness and that would cause poor running. Check for loose plugs on the topside first. Also make sure you have good oil and it is up to level. Also a dirty fuel filter could cause rough running. Long warmups, don't know about that one. Boost leaks would also cause poor power perfomance.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:49 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Welcome to FTE. How long does it take to warm up while driving and what are the outside temps? How long have you had the X? As Barry stated the glow plugs won't affect warm up time or power. Sounds like you have a few different issues. What additional information can you give us?

Old 04-07-2008, 01:36 PM
mikiey
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahhhhh Mannn, New problem now the truck is having a hard time starting even with the heater pluged in. I have had this X for about 4 years and no problems. I am in So Cal so the temp here have been about 50deg or so. It is taking this thing about 15-20 min to warm up. If I do not let it warm up all the way it just compleatley looses power in the throttle. Yesterday It started reved up really high and the chuged down and died.

This problem is starting to worry me. Does this sound like an injector problem

Old 04-07-2008, 01:44 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Is your engine oil clean and full? Fuel & air filter in good shape? 50 deg. shouldn't be a glow plug issue.

If all those items are good, try unplugging your ICP sensor to see if it starts easier.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:24 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mikiey
///Snip///
Yesterday It started reved up really high and the chuged down and died.

This problem is starting to worry me. Does this sound like an injector problem
This really sounds like an oil issue. Low oil level, old dirty oil, or one of you high pressure oil sensor. Like Chris said unplug you ICP and try it. Check the little tin nut on the back of the IPR and make sure it tight. Check for codes if possible. Check your oil level in the HPOP before you attemp to start and after it has set for a while. Oil should be less than an inch below the top.
Haven't got to use these in a while, May help locate what we are talking about.

Attached Images