General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

NHL Playoffs Time

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
NHL Playoffs Time

Batter up !

er... I mean lets the puck outta here and in the net,.

What happened in Alberta today ?

Calgary In .. Edmonton Out

Old 04-04-2008, 07:31 PM
boxcar1974
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Bruins are playing for thier playoff life tonight. If they win tonight they are in. Been 4 years since they last made it. If they do make it they will face 1 of 3 teams. Pittsburgh, Montreal, or Carolina. I fear the Montreal match up even though it would be great for hockey in Boston. Carolina always play the B's tough. Pittsburgh has all those weapons but a shaky netminder.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:18 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,065 Likes on 4,165 Posts
Out of respect for Dennis...I'm going to post this in black instead of my normal signature blue. It's great to hear from another hockey fan...I grew up watching...argueably the best hockey player ever...Bobby Orr. I was a real fanatic through the eighties...a casual fan since. I'll be rooting for the Bruins as my Western Massachusetts friend...but...the B's can't seem to beat the Canadians for love nor money. If the B's play Les Habitants...it would be wise of the Black and Gold to have their golf clubs packed...they will need them sooner rather than later!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Secret Agent 069
Posting Guru
Vancouver is going Golfing again... Sad isn't it... the last time a BC Hockey team had their name on the cup was the Victoria Cougars vs Montreal Canadiens in 1925. The Vancouver Millionaires vs Ottawa Senators won the Stanley Cup in 1915...

But the CANNOTS didn't become part of the NHL until 1970, of which they have NEVER won the Stanley Cup...

Old 04-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Thanks Ken !

When it came to names I was a Bruins fans first, then the Maple Laughs and one year the habs.

Now I am just a fan of the Game

Ken have a look at this photo ..read the names and tell me what you think of that ?

click on the image to make it larger

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...ossmen1944.jpg

Old 04-04-2008, 11:35 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fricken Canucks. They better lose tomorrow.

At least the Leafs didn't get in either.

Pullin' for the Habs now.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:03 AM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by boxcar1974
My Bruins are playing for thier playoff life tonight. If they win tonight they are in. Been 4 years since they last made it. If they do make it they will face 1 of 3 teams. Pittsburgh, Montreal, or Carolina. I fear the Montreal match up even though it would be great for hockey in Boston. Carolina always play the B's tough. Pittsburgh has all those weapons but a shaky netminder.
Shaky?? Both Fleury and Conklin have 92% save averages and both have been playing well of late.
Hoping not to jinx them, I will say I like the Pens chances to go deep into the playoffs, if not all the way.
Malkin is a crazy Russian. Crosby is just getting stronger every day after his high ankle sprain. And the expected chemistry with Hossa is still developing as well.
I am looking forward to a great playoff series.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:47 PM
924x2150
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lets go flyers!
I was so happy to see Brodeur pulled out of the net during the Devils 3-0 loss to the B-Street bullies.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:32 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I see the Sharks made it this far.

Didn't they set a NHL record by not losing in the month of March?

At least that's what I was told by a Bruins fan/bud.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:53 PM
boxcar1974
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ckal704
Shaky?? Both Fleury and Conklin have 92% save averages and both have been playing well of late.
Well save percentace is not everything. Just ask Tim Thomas. He has played well and an average in the top 5 in the league in percentage. I would not call him a playoff goal tender. I still see him as a AHL caliber goal tender.

Not sure why but he seems to have a mental let down every so often.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:00 PM
LiftTech
Senior User
Go Predators!

They just barely squeaked into the last spot, and now it looks like we'll be starting the playoff series against Detroit.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:30 PM
BIGKEN
Originally Posted by Mil1ion
Thanks Ken !

When it came to names I was a Bruins fans first, then the Maple Laughs and one year the habs.

Now I am just a fan of the Game

Ken have a look at this photo ..read the names and tell me what you think of that ?

click on the image to make it larger

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...ossmen1944.jpg

Dennis...thanks for that photo...is that really your dad in the top row??? I'll be perfectly honest with you...I only recognize two of the names...Milt Schmidt and Bobby Bauer...who along with Woody Dumart...formed the Bruins famous "Kraut Line".

Old 04-07-2008, 05:33 PM
BIGKEN
Originally Posted by boxcar1974
Well save percentace is not everything. Just ask Tim Thomas. He has played well and an average in the top 5 in the league in percentage. I would not call him a playoff goal tender. I still see him as a AHL caliber goal tender.

Not sure why but he seems to have a mental let down every so often.
Remember Gerry Cheevers...save percentage meant nothing to him...he just wanted to let in one less than the opposition scored.

Looks like my worst fears have materialized...the Bruins face Les Habitants in the first round of the playoffs. At least they will probably be in Boston when they are eliminated...making it easier for them to hit the golf course!!!

Old 04-07-2008, 06:41 PM
boxcar1974
Postmaster
Maybe the power will go out in this garden like it did in the old one so we get spared in seeing the slaughter.

Did you see that Bergeron was cleared for full contact? Why would he want to do that. Take the extra time and go into the summer to get healthy.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Originally Posted by BIGKEN
Dennis...thanks for that photo...is that really your dad in the top row??? I'll be perfectly honest with you...I only recognize two of the names...Milt Schmidt and Bobby Bauer...who along with Woody Dumart...formed the Bruins famous "Kraut Line".
You got them.

Yes, My Dad was one of the Kraut Line's defencemen.

He was scouted by the Bruins in 1944 and at the endfof the war was personally asked by Milt to accept a contract with the Bruins because he felt my Dad was the best 2-way hockey payer he had ever played with. Dad talked at length about 2 guys of the infamous Kraut line.
My favourite story was when Dad got into a fight standing up with Milt to a couple of Navy guys in an English Pub one night that made a snide comments about Pansy Hockey Players.
I tired for the last 15 years to get some war file film with him playing.
I know there is some because on Don Cherry's old show he did a story on Milt and I saw my Dad on the ice with him but it was short piece.

Dad declined the NHL contract to come back to Canada and raise a family and become successful.

He did, They had me and my sisters.
He died a year ago a week from today.

Quick Reply: NHL Playoffs Time