1995 5.0 - Platinum Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 06:27 AM
Double Tap
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings all,

I am posting this for my father, looking for some input on something he is considering.

He has a 1995 F150, 5.0, auto. It has about 60k mile on it, and he wants to change the plugs. No real problem with the way it is running, but could likely benefit (fuel mileage) from a change, and hopefully a preventative move.

Anyway..... He is wondering about the pros / cons of installing Platinum plugs. Some have told him that they have done this with no problems, but other have told him that if he does he would need to change the plug wires as well to a set that matches imp / resistance stats, etc.

So, what do you folks think? Is there any real advantage to doing this? Have any of you done this on the older engines, and what was the result?

Any first hand experience input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

DT

2002 F250 Lariat, White, SC, short bed, 5.4, 6sp, 3.73, 4X4 Off Road, Chrome steps, Tow Mirrors, 6cd, cab lights, 265 OWL AT's

Old 08-12-2002, 10:54 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post 1995 5.0 - Platinum Plugs?

Unless he changed them at 30k the standard plugs are more than worn out. I have used Bosch single platinums with no problems. Do not buy Autolites, they are junk and do not last. The ground electrodes burn away too quickly. The main advantage of platinum spark plugs is long life, up to 100k. Don't expect any increase in performance or mileage compared to a new set of standard plugs. Be sure to gap them according to the sticker under the hood, not the spark plug catalog.

Jim

Old 08-12-2002, 11:42 AM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your vehicle came with them from the factory, then you'll get the extended life out of them, but otherwise they'll last just as long as regular plugs will. If it wasn't designed for them, then it's not worth it. Personally, I know that Motorcraft plugs last longer than Bosch Platinums in vehicles where non-platinum plugs are OEM. TK

'77 F100, 302 (the aftermarket Prodigy), C4
Cadet Second Lieutenant John F. Daly III
South Carolina Corps of Cadets, The Citadel
The TorqueKing

Old 08-12-2002, 03:44 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post 1995 5.0 - Platinum Plugs?

I have gotten extended life (60k+) on both an '88 Ranger 2.9 and '91 Ranger 4.0. Both were not originally equipped with platinum plugs. There is no significant electrical difference, just longer lasting metals. The main reason most auto and truck makers switched to platinum as factory standard is to advertise longer tuneup intervals and also because of EPA mandated emissions warranty requirements.

BTW, Motorcraft and Autolite are not the same thing. Autolite is part of AlliedSignal, the same folks who ruined Fram!

Jim

Old 08-12-2002, 06:41 PM
restorit
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts