Sponsored by: Moser

March Sales Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:19 PM
ArtsBest
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
March Sales Numbers

F-150 were down. However, Toyota Division Tundra full-size pickup posted best-ever March sales of 14,311, an increase of 16.8 percent over last March.

Don't really understand this because the Tundra extended I looked at was $41K+. Very nice truck indeed but also very expensive. And this isn't their highest priced Tundra. The crew is. There was a $3K rebate however but Ford was offering similar cash back. WHY the Tundra is selling so well under these adverse conditions is a mystery to me. Great truck for sure, but that great?

Old 04-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Because there are some people who don't really need a truck....who think toyota is amazing with whatever they build. Its the same reason people buy dodge minivans even though they're junk....because they believe that dodge is the minivan king.....are there better options?,,,,yes....do people still buy them?....yes....search ebay...theres an awful lot of them with 100-5000 miles on them for sale....

Old 04-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Seanhill69
Junior User
Toy March 2008 13196 on New (OVER PRICED) truck
Ford March 2008 54465 Combined F series (mostly 4 year old f-150s)

Old 04-02-2008, 12:46 AM
blitzkriegiowa
Senior User
they sell since it is something "new" and some ppl like haveing what others dont so they buy them, will probly see the same thing with ford next year (and hopfully longer then that)

Old 04-02-2008, 09:16 AM
heathk2003
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ryan50hrl
Because there are some people who don't really need a truck....who think toyota is amazing with whatever they build. Its the same reason people buy dodge minivans even though they're junk....because they believe that dodge is the minivan king.....are there better options?,,,,yes....do people still buy them?....yes....search ebay...theres an awful lot of them with 100-5000 miles on them for sale....

The same can be said about ford f-series buyers. Ford is known for making the #1 selling truck for 30+ years and people buy into that. Many of those years ford had the best product. Now with more competition, they may or may not have the best product but it doesn't matter because of brand loyalty. People will buy it because it says ford on the tailgate. Pretty harsh statement to say dodge minivan's are junk. My uncle ( a die hard ford man ) bought a 1991 dodge caravan and owned it many years before trading it on a preowned 2002 ford windstar. The caravan was very good and dependable for him. His windstar was a night mare. He had ac problems, needed a new transmission, ignition problems, and either a wheel bearing or brake problem. I know this because he came to me ( back when i sold cars) to unload the pos. He has been very happy in his 2005 dodge caravan that i sold him with zero issues. Just for fun i typed in 2007 ford f150 in my search on ebay. Wow there is a lot of them for sale with 100-5000 miles. I guess i should assume they are junk too?

Old 04-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by heathk2003
Just for fun i typed in 2007 ford f150 in my search on ebay. Wow there is a lot of them for sale with 100-5000 miles. I guess i should assume they are junk too?

Ford sold what....5 times as many trucks last year? or somewhere close to that......theres 2 times (almost exactly) more 2007 F-150's than tundras......somehow percentage wise more people keep their fords than their toyotas...

Old 04-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Ford sold what....5 times as many trucks last year? or somewhere close to that......theres 2 times (almost exactly) more 2007 F-150's than tundras......somehow percentage wise more people keep their fords than their toyotas...

another thing I like to point out about toyota's reliability, is, go to autotrader.com, do a search for each brand and count up the ones with over 200k miles... usually ford/chevy/dodge come out way ahead of toyota/honda/nissan - and that's sad considering how many more cars toyota sells than ford/dodge (and chevy if you don't count buick pontiac and gmc)..

Old 04-02-2008, 10:28 AM
osbornk
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ArtsBest
F-150 were down. However, Toyota Division Tundra full-size pickup posted best-ever March sales of 14,311, an increase of 16.8 percent over last March.

Don't really understand this because the Tundra extended I looked at was $41K+. Very nice truck indeed but also very expensive. And this isn't their highest priced Tundra. The crew is. There was a $3K rebate however but Ford was offering similar cash back. WHY the Tundra is selling so well under these adverse conditions is a mystery to me. Great truck for sure, but that great?
Toyota was still getting their supply lines filled this time last year. Many models weren't available last March. A year to year comparison is not accurate yet. It will only be accurate when a full up and running year can be compared to a full up and running year.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:50 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Fosters

another thing I like to point out about toyota's reliability, is, go to autotrader.com, do a search for each brand and count up the ones with over 200k miles... usually ford/chevy/dodge come out way ahead of toyota/honda/nissan - and that's sad considering how many more cars toyota sells than ford/dodge (and chevy if you don't count buick pontiac and gmc)..
That's because they're not for sale. If you want to debate Ford vs Toyota for reliability, I'm game as I own one of each's bread and butter line and you won't like what I have to say.

In any case, the Tundra is new and Toyota has a great reputation (like it or not, they do). So it's no suprise that they are selling like hotcakes.

The 08 F150 is getting pretty stale on it's 4th year with the 5.4 way behind and using a 4 speed auto with roots to the 80s.

Hopefully with the new 6 speed auto, pumped up 5.4 (It needs to be really pumped up), possibly a diesel (which I don't think will sell great with diesel 75 cents-$1 higher than gas), and a new interior it will sell very well.

Mike

Old 04-02-2008, 06:02 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Might be because some genius at Ford decided that they didn't need to make a minivan anymore
I have a handicapped son in a wheelchair and have to have a lowered floor minivan to transport him around. I retired my high mileage 96 Windstar and had to purchase a Grand Caravan because Dodge, Chevy, and Toyoto are the only brands of Minivans that are available with a lowered floor.

I would have gotten a Freestar that was converted, but they are not made anymore. So I now have a nice Grand Caravan with a lifetime powertrain warranty

Besides. What do 2008 model year sales have to do with the 2009 model truck????

Old 04-02-2008, 07:55 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
I would be curious to see the Tundra numbers strictly against the F-150 numbers for March '08. I'll bet they're closer than we think. The Tundra doesn't compete against the SD, if anyone is considering a 1/2 ton when they need a SD / HD, then they are a candidate for a frontal labotomy (spelling).

I'm guessing that Toyo will draw a few fledgling truck buyers that aren't rooted in a brand as of yet, but, I believe that they will primarily sell to Toyo loyalists.

Tim

Old 04-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
I doubt they'd be that close....drive around town....there aren't that many toys here.....drive through the walmart or the grocery store parking lot and you might find one tundra....you'll find 20 f-150s though....

Old 04-02-2008, 09:50 PM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
I know here in Northern colorado, the F150's outnumber the Tundra's about 50:1, and the Titan's about 100:1 We have as many trucks as cars in this area. The majority of them are Ford, followed by Dodge, then GMC and Chevrolet, then Toyota, and Nissan. In that order. I've seen maybe 8 of the Titan's. Before someone tries to be an ***, and ask me for statistical proof, I don't have any, so go away.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:06 PM
ArtsBest
Elder User
Tundra

There's one point being missed here trying to compare the F-150 to the Tundra. Toyota does NOT make a 4WD nor a V-8 with the regular cab model. Many sales are being LOST as a result to Ford/GM/Chrysler becasue of this lack-there-of.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
wow...if thats really the case we've got it good only not having a manual tranny available....no 4wd or v8 in a regular cab......toyota is pretty lame with that one...

Quick Reply: March Sales Numbers