Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

IDM mod. Does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 02:52 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for the info Scott..let me get this strait..you de soder the resister that is built into the board shown in pic where the green and yellow wire is..and them 2 wires are added in with a new resister correct?? if so..i see the resister has a brown stipe on one end..if i did this just like the pic...witch way does the brown stipe on the resister go??? or does it do its job ether way?? i know diods only work one way..im not great with electronics so please excuse so many questions...

Old 04-06-2008, 02:59 PM
twtcad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ron.....adding the wires are only for a switch to turn the mod on/off. It is not necessary and is not recommended on the site with the pics from what I read. As far as resistor direction, I'm not sure......if you do not get an answer here, I would ask the supplier if it goes both ways........LOL

Old 04-06-2008, 03:19 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by twtcad
ron.....adding the wires are only for a switch to turn the mod on/off. It is not necessary and is not recommended on the site with the pics from what I read. As far as resistor direction, I'm not sure......if you do not get an answer here, I would ask the supplier if it goes both ways........LOL
All you need to do, is remove the original resistor, and solder in the correct resistor as listed
above for your model IDM. (Should be a sticker that lists the model near the connector).
In the pics I have, you would solder to the same place on the board that the green and yellow
wires are soldered. You shouldnt use wires or switches.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:35 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Awhile back I did some analyses of the IDM vs injection timing that might be of interest here. All the nitty gritty can be found in the link below, and I'll just summarize a few points here.

pulse width and pcm/idm signals
https://www.ford-trucks.com:80/forum...m-signals.html

Originally Posted by mustang_gt_350
...Ok, I spent some time with some help of a friend playing with the IDM and a scope today. From the way it looks the PCM is sending 2 signals per injection event to the IDM.
I also Measured the output voltage while runing and was very shocked on how low the actaul output to the injectors are compared to what i have read the working voltage is. My stock 120 IDM was only putting out 66 volts to the injector Noting near the often qouted 120 volts...
Originally Posted by ernesteugene
...I read that the IDM has it's own little onboard computer/microprocessor, and that the PCM sends the IDM digital words which instruct the on and off time for each injector pulse. I think the two signals you see are the one word for on and the other word for off. Also, the off pulse is reverse polarity to drive the solenoid in the off direction.
Originally Posted by ernesteugene
...The PCM programming controls the Injection Time IT*=crank degrees, and the injection Pulse Width, PW*=crank degrees. These parameters control the timing and the amount of fuel injected, and this in turn tailors the peak combustion pressures in the vicinity of TDC, and this is what determines the cylinder MEP and resulting HP.

To program for maximum HP, you want to control the IT* and PW* to maximize MEP at each RPM. Of course the Ford PCM programming has to worry about other things as well, including emissions, MPG, and reliability.

At 3000 RPM, for example, each crank deg is 55.55 usec. At 3000 RPM, an impulse (zero time width) injection at 30* BTDC, is followed by a 20* ignition delay, then a 5* delay as pressure rises to a maximum, so maximum occurs at 5* BTDC. The actual pulse width, PW, is about 555.5 usec, so that fuel is injected over a 10 deg interval of crank degs. Therefore, fuel injection occurs from 30* to 20* BTDC, then 10* to 0* BTDC for initiation of burn, and maximum pressure at 5* BTDC to 5* ATDC, and this gives maximum cylinder MEP and thus HP.
It's clear to me from the above, that the IDM mod will advance the "effective" timing some, and therefore the use of this mod should be accounted for in the overall tuning, as in with a DP program.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:02 PM
TchTchr
Senior User
Originally Posted by ron's power stroke
i see the resister has a brown stipe on one end..if i did this just like the pic...witch way does the brown stipe on the resister go??? or does it do its job ether way?? i know diods only work one way..im not great with electronics so please excuse so many questions...

It doesn't matter which direction you solder the resister. Current through them flows the same. The stripes on them indicate how much resistance they provide.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:20 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by TchTchr
It doesn't matter which direction you solder the resister. Current through them flows the same. The stripes on them indicate how much resistance they provide.
thanks Brad....

Old 04-06-2008, 05:22 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
All you need to do, is remove the original resistor, and solder in the correct resistor as listed
above for your model IDM. (Should be a sticker that lists the model near the connector).
In the pics I have, you would solder to the same place on the board that the green and yellow
wires are soldered. You shouldnt use wires or switches.

Ron. I just added some pics to my galley covering this very thing. Dave is on his way over here now, so by the end of the evening this gallery should be a fairly inclusive step by step how to....that's what I'm hoping for anyways.

2001 Ford F250 4x4 - IDM mod

Old 04-06-2008, 05:23 PM
twtcad
Senior User
Awesome.....you guys rock!

Old 04-06-2008, 05:32 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cookie88
Ron. I just added some pics to my galley covering this very thing. Dave is on his way over here now, so by the end of the evening this gallery should be a fairly inclusive step by step how to....that's what I'm hoping for anyways.

2001 Ford F250 4x4 - IDM mod
thats very nice Scott...as soon as i can rep you again... i will....thanks a lot for taking the time...

whats this Gene is talking about?? i have a DP...

Old 04-06-2008, 05:48 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
whats this Gene is talking about??
Injector pulse width. It's the amount of time the PCM commands the injectors to stay open. By doing this mod you increasing the IPW a tiny amount, thereby effectively advancing the timing an equally tiny amount. His contention would seem to be that your chips tunes should be adjusted to compensate for this.

IMO, seeing that we are likely talking about less than a millisecond difference, I don't know that it would be necessary to bother with it.....but your best bet would be to ask jody if he compensates for it or not.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:42 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Might I suggest a bulk purchase of both the resistors? I just priced five resistors delivered....$1.09 for the resistors, $5.00 handling, $2.32 postage for a total cost of $8.41 or $1.68 each.

I then priced 200 of the resistors...$16.68 for the resistors, $5.00 handling, $2.32 postage for a total cost of $24.00 or $0.12 each

EDIT: I just found out that the total cost to me would be almost exactly $40.00 (for 200 of each resistor)...no handling charges!!! So that makes them $0.10 each...5 mailed to you for $1.00, and that includes postage.

I'd be willing to do it if there is enough interest to make it worth our while...Any interest?

Old 04-06-2008, 08:27 PM
twtcad
Senior User
Originally Posted by nlemerise
Might I suggest a bulk purchase of both the resistors? I just priced five resistors delivered....$1.09 for the resistors, $5.00 handling, $2.32 postage for a total cost of $8.41 or $1.68 each.

I then priced 200 of the resistors...$16.68 for the resistors, $5.00 handling, $2.32 postage for a total cost of $24.00 or $0.12 each

EDIT: I just found out that the total cost to me would be almost exactly $40.00 (for 200 of each resistor)...no handling charges!!! So that makes them $0.10 each...5 mailed to you for $1.00, and that includes postage.

I'd be willing to do it if there is enough interest to make it worth our while...Any interest?
I only need one and I'd be willing to pay the $1.00 for it. Just pm me your addy and I'll send you the money.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:52 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
ill take you up on that too..ill get 2 of each..then im coverd with what ever IDM i have...great idea and offer Neil...

Old 04-07-2008, 09:11 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
We need more participants to make it worthwhile...I'll wait and see how many others go for the idea. If I just had 7 people (8 including me) I could send twenty-five of each for $5 or so. Then those people could seed others with them.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:27 AM
twtcad
Senior User
Come on everybody......you know you want one......LOL! What ever works for you Neal.....I'm not in a rush, I still have plenty more mods on my list to do!

Quick Reply: IDM mod. Does it work?