Placermike
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good one Tom!

Old 04-06-2008, 11:01 AM
forddude05
More Turbo
OMG There was this guy that came in to my work yesterday wanting to rent a chainsaw..... He was like, "Ax Men! Ax Men!!!! Gotta cut me some timber!!!" I told my manager "He's gonna hurt himself. Like lose a hand hurt himself." Guy said he had like 3 trees to take down. I put the chain on backwards for him. The funniest part is, he said the saw cut great! Little things like that make my work week go along so much easier.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:39 PM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put my blade on backwards couple weeks ago, brand new skip tooth. Couldn't figure out why it wasn't cutting, just leaving a mark. Took a closer look and, well whata ya know. I had to have been distracted, i'll blame it on the kids. Cut much better after turning the blades around.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Eric C.
Elder User
Originally Posted by magusjinx
Who needs a saw? ... We just ask for another storm ... Not much can stand up in 149 mph winds ...
Where you live at? We're still cleaning up out where I live. The county came in and worked for 2 days on the end of the road i live on and then gave up. you want wood come on down. we'll let you have all you can cut and haul. i got to stop and check on a bigger saw on my way to the house this week end. The Poulan22 I got just isn't big enough for some of these things.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:47 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Eric C.
Where you live at? We're still cleaning up out where I live. The county came in and worked for 2 days on the end of the road i live on and then gave up. you want wood come on down. we'll let you have all you can cut and haul. i got to stop and check on a bigger saw on my way to the house this week end. The Poulan22 I got just isn't big enough for some of these things.
I would recommend a MS 290 Farm Boss with a 20"bar. Would run about $380.00. It has a 56.5 cc motor, and is quite a saw for the price. It is not intended for the professional user, but I think it would be more than adequeate for what you want to do. It will definately eat that Poulan up.

If you really want a great saw, try the MS 460!....One of the favorites of loggers in this area.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:59 PM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
I'm not a logger, but I do know that 460 is an awesome saw.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Eric C.
Elder User
I gotta get a real saw as the Poulan does a good job limbing and smaller stuff but you hit 20 inch it's just not got enough bar or pwoer. I got em bigger than that in the yard still.

I had a chance right after the storm to buy a used one that had just been rebuilt and didn't. Boy do i regret that one Live and learn.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Originally Posted by lostmybeer
I put my blade on backwards couple weeks ago, brand new skip tooth. Couldn't figure out why it wasn't cutting, just leaving a mark. Took a closer look and, well whata ya know. I had to have been distracted, i'll blame it on the kids. Cut much better after turning the blades around.
Don't feel bad!....I have been in a rush and have done it myself....Kind of felt a bit sheepish, when one of the loggers picked it up....I just explained that I repair them, I don't use them...LMFAO

Old 04-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Eric C.
I gotta get a real saw as the Poulan does a good job limbing and smaller stuff but you hit 20 inch it's just not got enough bar or pwoer. I got em bigger than that in the yard still.

I had a chance right after the storm to buy a used one that had just been rebuilt and didn't. Boy do i regret that one Live and learn.
If you want the very best smaller saw, get the MS260 Pro! As far as bar length and power, one of the biggest mistakes people do is to try and put a bigger bar on a saw that is not designed for it. The power ratio is just not there, and they kill their motors. At PA Power, we loved that, because it mean't we would be repairing or selling a new saw to them much sooner.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Eric C.
Elder User
How big can i go with that one and not kill it or me, I'll be useing it to clean up after the storms and such.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
If it were me, I would get one with a 3/8 rim sprocket, 20 in bar and semi skip chain. The motor is not overly large..I think just slightly over 50cc.

It does not weigh that much, so that helps remove some of the fatigue factor. Just remember that a skip tooth will provide faster cutting, less stress on the motor, but has a higher kickback quality than one of the safety chains.....You are probably looking at about $700....Remember this is a professional quality saw. With proper care, you will not need to buy another of that size. I have worked on some of the 026's that have been around forever. Usually the only major thing that happens to them is replacing the seal on the flywheel side.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:39 PM
MARTYSTOWRIG
Cargo Master
so you dont think putting a 24" bar on my 032 is going to hurt it do ya?

Old 04-07-2008, 09:42 PM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
C'mon, Marty, How many times does Mike and myself have to tell you? Good Golly, just do it.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:31 PM
MARTYSTOWRIG
Cargo Master
yeah yeah yeah.... Just need some $$$. I think it can wait for now.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:59 PM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Just like you trying to get me to go with a 4:30 diff. not gonna buy it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ax Men