Help.. slow turn over after warm - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Help.. slow turn over after warm

Old 03-26-2008, 01:13 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
MBBFord is a splendid one to beholdMBBFord is a splendid one to beholdMBBFord is a splendid one to beholdMBBFord is a splendid one to beholdMBBFord is a splendid one to beholdMBBFord is a splendid one to beholdMBBFord is a splendid one to behold
I say it's the heat causing the problem.

I had the same problem (pretty bad too), then I put a heat sheild, and it doesn't do it anymore.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...&albumid=29225

Old 03-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Slow
Senior User
Slow is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've seen this too when I have my timing too far advanced. For some reason it fires over fine when cold (maybe slower combustion?) and then when warm it gets very slow. Using ported vacuum will help this if you want to run more advanced most of the time. That's what I'm doing now.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:35 PM
c4barnes
Elder User
c4barnes is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.c4barnes is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I fixed the exact problem last weekend on mine. It turned out to be the wire shorting on the inner fender well. It looked just fine, but when I pulled it off and looked at it, I could see just a small spot of green corrosion where it was shorting against the well, and a corresponding spot on the well itself.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:19 PM
78Ranger_GARedNeck
Senior User
78Ranger_GARedNeck is starting off with a positive reputation.
My truck was doing the slow starting really bad .My wire running to the starter was bad(insulation all the way off) about a month ago. I replaced this and its been fine until this week. All the wires for the starter and batt(and silinoid are new. I havent checked the connections really. I had the batt tested today and it was fine. The alternator hasnt been checked. I have the stock exhaust all the way.(except for a different muffler)
Ill check the timing and get back with yall.
How much is a starter roughly?

By the way. Im a GA boy. that was a GA bulldog tag..not greenbay. lol

Old 03-26-2008, 04:38 PM
ArcadeTom
Senior User
ArcadeTom is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 78Ranger_GARedNeck
My truck was doing the slow starting really bad .My wire running to the starter was bad(insulation all the way off) about a month ago. I replaced this and its been fine until this week. All the wires for the starter and batt(and silinoid are new. I havent checked the connections really. I had the batt tested today and it was fine. The alternator hasnt been checked. I have the stock exhaust all the way.(except for a different muffler)

Sure is a shame to have that tacky ole "G" on that good looking truck - j/k.
If you replaced the wires about a week ago, I woudl check them for tightness again. Its just about the right time for re-torquing.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:42 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
MBBFord is a splendid one to beholdMBBFord is a splendid one to beholdMBBFord is a splendid one to beholdMBBFord is a splendid one to beholdMBBFord is a splendid one to beholdMBBFord is a splendid one to beholdMBBFord is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 78Ranger_GARedNeck

Starters aren't expensive. I'd say around $35 or so.
I bought one at Napa when I worked there for $15 w/ my discount.

I had the same problem with my stock exhaust. It was still doing it when I put headers, so I put the heat sheild shortly after, and it's good now.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:20 PM
78Ranger_GARedNeck
Senior User
That starter wire has been there for a month and the other wires longer than that.(they were there when we got it 2 months ago) Ithink the Alt is good because it puts out fine.
The heat shield might work but my question is why is this just now starting to overheat the starter. The engine has gotten the same temp for years. It also is getting worse i think. I mean i can drive for shorter distances and its slower than it was the last time i did the same thing.
Like i said ill check the timing but i think since this is just starting to happen that its not the engine losing its timing. It runs fine.
Should i just get the stock replacement starter at NAPA or is there an aftermarket product better but not at an outrageous price?

Old 03-26-2008, 08:38 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
the little mini high output starters seem to work great, but they run around $150...

My little Napa starter w/heat sheild is working great.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:03 PM
78Ranger_GARedNeck
Senior User
Where do you get a heat shield and how much?

Old 03-27-2008, 04:13 PM
fatherdoug
Elder User
fatherdoug is starting off with a positive reputation.
Could probably fashion one yourself out of thicker gauge sheet metal and drill a hole for the upper starter bolt to hold it in place. Looks like MBBFord made his own?

Old 03-27-2008, 05:19 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
I made my own and it is working fine, but if it didn't I was thinking of combining it with wrap around heat shield like from summitracing or jegs

Here's mine:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...&albumid=29225

Old 03-27-2008, 06:47 PM
78Ranger_GARedNeck
Senior User
Thats pretty cool.. i think im going to just buy a NAPA starter though. I meen i dont think i need the heat shield because the starter was working fine a couple weeks ago.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:16 PM
69classic
New User
69classic is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 78Ranger_GARedNeck View Post
Where do you get a heat shield and how much?
Heat Shield:

JEGS 32000 - JEGS Universal Starter Heat Insulator - JEGS