2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roush Kills Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 01:21 PM
the_harleyryder
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Roush Kills Engine

Well, not even 10,000 km on the Dealer installed roush internally cooled supercharger, and cylinder #4 has no compression, #6 piston melted, and a hell of a tick coming from the bottom end..... new engine is the only fix. Caused by nothin other than roush's supercharger, I am left footing the bill for a new engine, no recourse from roush... I heavily recomend never dealing with this company, Im out at least $14,000 for the dumbest decision ive made in a long time, clicking onto Roush.com....

Old 03-25-2008, 01:28 PM
ZRXKUMA
Freshman User
I'm now confused. What year is the truck and how many miles on the truck? The supposed advantage of Roush is the factory warranty.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:33 PM
BandBFord
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting...

Roush has a 36/36 warranty from the original inservice date so your stating that they will not honor that or that the vehicle is out of the warranty period?

Old 03-25-2008, 01:34 PM
DaMole
Posting Guru
I'm confused also. Roush is supposed to carry a 36,000 mile warranty.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:39 PM
the_harleyryder
New User
No, the truck was an 05, had about 96,000km on it when the roush kit was put on, so the warranty from roush only coners the charger itself for 12 months or 12,000 miles. The pcm screwed up on the truck a couple times, causing it to run lean, but they say the charger never failed, so there is nothing they will do. So I guess just take warning when adding a kit to a vehichle that is no longer under ford factory warranty, and I think if i had a supercharged truck near end of warranty, I would be selling.... I never even had the chance to drive this thing like it was charged, nuthin but problems from two weeks after install...

Old 03-25-2008, 01:43 PM
DaMole
Posting Guru
What did the dealer that installed it say? Did they offer any help? It sounds like a PCM problem that was not addressed caused the problem.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:48 PM
BandBFord
Senior User
Pcm...

Has anyone been able to diagnose the PCM problem? (I extremely curious about this because I have been tossing around the idea of buying one). I know some of the folks on here run them and seem very pleased with the overall performance.

I would really interested to know if the program was at fault, the PCM was just defective or some outside source caused the failure? Were you using a custom program (or programmer)? Have you talked with Roush and had them assist in determining what the actual problem was (or is)?

Old 03-25-2008, 02:53 PM
dartguy699
Senior User
several questions come to mind--how was the truck driven? if you keep the pedal to the metal then likely what you had happen is a given-especially with the mileage on your truck.
also was the lower engine beefed up for this install? if not then the above comment would also apply again with the mileage on the truck.
third the roush warranty just says that the supercharger is warranted --not warranting that the engine will not blow.
in my opinion adding an aftermarket performance unit like this is just asking for a big problem since the eengine is not designed or intended for this type of use (or abuse if not driven sensibly.
just my 02 worth
jim

Old 03-25-2008, 03:58 PM
4DOORSR
Senior User
Sorry to hear. I'd be pissed too. Did the truck not throw a lean mixture code? You would think it would considering it melted a piston.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:12 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by the_harleyryder
No, the truck was an 05, had about 96,000km on it when the roush kit was put on, so the warranty from roush only coners the charger itself for 12 months or 12,000 miles. The pcm screwed up on the truck a couple times, causing it to run lean, but they say the charger never failed, so there is nothing they will do. So I guess just take warning when adding a kit to a vehichle that is no longer under ford factory warranty, and I think if i had a supercharged truck near end of warranty, I would be selling.... I never even had the chance to drive this thing like it was charged, nuthin but problems from two weeks after install...
I'm confused... you say the PCM screwed up a couple of times, causing it to run lean. What does this mean? What happened? Who installed it?

Old 03-25-2008, 06:36 PM
tomdoggie
Senior User
Why would anyone put a supercharger on a truck with that many miles.

Is the bottom end strong enough.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:42 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't think the motivations ought to be questioned... no different than someone buying a truck and deciding later to lift it, build it for off-road, etc. Its their toy... they play with it the way they want.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
first off...you said it was a problem from two weeks after it was installed...then you said you drove it 10,000 km's till it blew? why would you do that? secondly.....hundreds if not thousands of people have rouch chargers installed.....even ken on here has one on his truck and hasn't blown the motor....so i think it may have other factors than just the charger...

Old 03-25-2008, 08:37 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Roush products are fine....

Originally Posted by the_harleyryder
Well, not even 10,000 km on the Dealer installed roush internally cooled supercharger, and cylinder #4 has no compression, #6 piston melted, and a hell of a tick coming from the bottom end..... new engine is the only fix. Caused by nothin other than roush's supercharger, I am left footing the bill for a new engine, no recourse from roush... I heavily recomend never dealing with this company, Im out at least $14,000 for the dumbest decision ive made in a long time, clicking onto Roush.com....
His Fords do quite well in NASCAR, and he's a long-established name in the automotive world. His products and workmanship are tested daily in motorsports all over the world. I remember Gapp and Roush running in Pro Stock in the 70's.

When you modify any engine--particularly with something that increases the stresses on that engine by 50%, you need to be aware that there are risks involved, and if something, like your fuel mixture, is not right, it can get catastrophic mighty quick. I've known drag racers to blow up an engine during the first weekend of racing, and the warranty they have is typically "if your engine blows up into a thousand pieces, all the pieces are yours"...

I'm sorry to hear that you're out of a pile of money, but, as they say, that's racing... Hell, stock motors blow up too; I had a timing chain let go on a 305 small block Chevy in my '86 GMC van back in 1990, 42k on the motor, and it was toast. Just driving down the freeway.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:02 PM
deisele75
Elder User
Sorry to hijack this thread, but what would you guys say is the point of no return for adding a supercharger to an engine (Mileage wise)? Under 50K?

Quick Reply: Roush Kills Engine