Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I think I screwed up bad boys...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:13 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Unhappy I think I screwed up bad boys...

I was out working on the truck tonight again, put the bolts back in the rear yoke (need to get it rolling, out-laws (aka in-laws) will be here Sat. and we need the c/c to haul everyone) then got to looking at my exhaust. I have a new dual setup waiting to go in, but no time to do it before the out-laws get here. I have a Sawzall that I'm borrowing from the landlord and figured what the heck, let's get the party started. Made a couple cuts and I'll be danged if the muffler didn't fall right out! Being worried about whether or not there was more wrong, I jumped in and fired it up. Oh no... it sounds...

AWESOME!!!
Took it for a quick spin... oh dear lord this thing sounds great, and it runs better too! I may be sending my muffler back to Diamond Eye for an extra piece of pipe now
Oh yeah sorry, the screw up part was I noticed a hole in my Pete cover

Old 03-20-2008, 09:17 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Glad things are turning around for you Chase. Now give the sawzall back to your landlord before you get any more ideas.

I've developed a hole in Pete's cover too. Maybe I should have taken him up on the discount for 2 offer.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:20 PM
jrciii56
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its amazing to hear the difference in these trucks without the muffler. I took mine off after a couple of months. It will never go back on. Is you exhaust alumized or stainless. If it is aluminized a local muffler shop may have a piece to weld in their for ya. Congrats on the new discovery. Get a tip that is larger than the diameter of your exhaust. It will give the exhaust a megaphone sound making it sound even better!!!! Dont you just love distubing the peace!!!!!

Old 03-20-2008, 09:27 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chase, if you are that excited about this. What are you going to do after you get the DP-TUNER? I can't wait to find out.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:00 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by miller_feed
Chase, if you are that excited about this. What are you going to do after you get the DP-TUNER? I can't wait to find out.
ME EITHER! Wanna send me yours so I can try it out? On second thought better not, or I'll be ordering one up and my wife will probably kill me
My new exhaust is aluminized, I think I actually might be able to get it installed tomorrow before the out-laws show up. I'll probably run it that way for a while, then get a muff delete pipe and some tips.
I've still got a rounded off bolt in my rear yoke, but I don't think it will be too big a thing to get it out (hopefully). Maybe I can tackle that one tomorrow too. I still have a drone in the cab, but it seemed better with the anti-muff mod (though it was probably because I was listening to the pipe! )

Old 03-20-2008, 10:19 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

The good or bad thing about DP is, mine will not work on your truck. You have a 250 and I have a 350. Out gears are different and my truck is so much faster than yours.

Do the exhaust. Its so easy and bolts right up.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:21 PM
farmnurse
New User
As Far As Your Rounded Off Bolt, Take A 5/16 Or 3/8 Nut And Drill The Threads Out. Then Slide It Up To The Rounded Bolt And Weld It On. It Might Have To Be Done A Few Times But It Will Work. I Had 4 Manifold Bolts Broke In The Head On A D6h And Got Them All Out That Way. One Stud I Lost Count At 22 Nuts, But Still Got It Out.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:26 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Originally Posted by farmnurse
As Far As Your Rounded Off Bolt, Take A 5/16 Or 3/8 Nut And Drill The Threads Out. Then Slide It Up To The Rounded Bolt And Weld It On. It Might Have To Be Done A Few Times But It Will Work. I Had 4 Manifold Bolts Broke In The Head On A D6h And Got Them All Out That Way. One Stud I Lost Count At 22 Nuts, But Still Got It Out.
Good info. Check your Rep points.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:34 PM
jeff7825
Posting Guru
Nice idea. Reps sent.

Chase you could try an easy out bit.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:59 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
I'd do that in a heartbeat if I had access to a welder (note to self, a welder would make an awesome easter present to yourself) I plan on doing one of two things- (1) cut a straight slot in the head with my Dremel and try to use a flathead screwdriver to coax the bolt out or (2) the easy-out. I should go out and soak that baby in penetrating oil while I'm thinking about it actually!

Old 03-21-2008, 11:51 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts
One thing I need to mention. Chase and I have been messaging back and forth about the hole in his cover. I actually have two small holes in my own cover, both of which have come from where the filter body rests on something else. The bottom end rides on the fender liner, and has rubbed a very small hole at that location, and the other is a couple of inches down from the top end, right where the filter rests on the side wall of the stock battery tray box that is still in position.

Both of my little "wear holes" developed rather quickly, and neither have goten any worse. That's one of the beauties of teh polyester knit fabric.... no unraveling to worry about. Fortunately, too, both holes are not visible unless you take the filter out.

Here's another thing, downside of polyester knit, the fabric can snag rather easily. That's why I include the installation tip about using a Walmart/grocery store plastic bag for helping slide the cover over the expanded metal surface of the filter... to prevent those kinds of snags. In fact, the old, dirty "dummy" filters I use for test-fitting each cover are wrapped with wax paper to prevent snags or tears.

If you guys don't mind, I'd really like to see a few pictures of the hoels in your covers. Chase is already planning on getting me some shots of his this evening. if there is ever a hole that develops on a seam (which is not where Chase's or mine are), I need to know that for sure so I can deal with that in the mfg process. In fact, I have been contemplating that issue for a while and will be looking into some extra protection measures on that front, even though there have been no problems to-date with seams.

Anyway, don't hesitate to contact me about these kinds of things. Thanks, Chase, for giving me a heads up on your situation. I'd like to hear more about your situation, too, Chris.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:15 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
I'd like to hear more about your situation, too, Chris.
No worries about mine Pete. My hole came from rubbing against the long bolt on my new battery hold down bracket. It's a small hole like you're describing that happened rather quickly. I've sinced altered the bracket and rotated the hole to the bottom. There's a chance I may poke a few more holes while I'm playing with my airbox so I may be back in touch to buy another cover when everything's finished.

I never tried your Walmart bag trick as it seemed that wouldn't do anything for snags when removing the cover if I removed the bag as you suggested. I simply roll mine up, place it on the end of the filter and then unroll it onto the filter. To remove, I roll it up towards the top to prevent snagging.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:21 PM
TchTchr
Senior User
The holes in the covers remind me of my jeans when I was a kid. How about putting a patch on 'em like Mom used to do. (especially since you can't see it anyway)

Old 03-21-2008, 01:38 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts
I guess we can also think of them (the holes) as signs of a "working" truck, too.

Chris, as much as I hate the fact that you have the hole, I'm equally relieved regarding how it happened. Just let me know if I can help with anything.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:30 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
I've basically got my exhaust in as of right now, but waiting for tech support to call me back to figure out where the last two hangers are supposed to be. Once I get my hands clean I'll go snap a picture of the little hole in my cover. Come on phone ring, I want to hear that new exhaust purr!