Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

The HHO injection thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:32 PM
waynebo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The box i beleive can handle probally 190 degs or more,i put hot water to 125 degs and it was still solid with no effects at all..

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/PICT0002.jpg

Old 06-17-2008, 08:43 PM
waynebo
Senior User
Originally Posted by milehighhydroguy
Hey guys,
I did have the 7 cell units wired in series, the amp draw was rediculous, ocer 60 amps so i wire 3 cels together and then the remaining 4 cells on each unit, amp draw went way down and then i brought it back up with my electrolyte mix which is 4 TBLSPN potassium hydroxide to 2.5Gal distilled water.
I have turkey thermometers mounted on the outside of my units and so far they have reached 130 degrees so i would be leary of using a thin polyethylene container which i see in the pics posted by waynbo unless you have a PWM unit controlling the current so you amp draw/heat build up is low. I am STILL waiting for my PWMPOWER.COM pwm unit to arrive, who knows when that will be so i purchased another from D14 Lawton Style PWM
cant wait to get one ogf these hhoked up as well as my new MAP adjuster to lean it out at highway cruise to see if i can reach my goal of 30MPG!
Later
Tim
Thats what i was thinking that wiring parrellel is the only way to do it as in series voltage would drop with each following cell so out put would fall to each following cell,,i.e 12.5v to the first one 10.3v to the next one,and so on.Now with the pulse wave modulator it will be taking on a a/c voltage characteristics..Although not a sine wave still a pulsing frequency so ?? i dont know maybe series will be the ticket or ..Youv'e motivated me to get started,as time allows ------------------------I love this thread,,American ingenuity at work....

Old 06-17-2008, 10:38 PM
dustan52
Senior User
Originally Posted by milehighhydroguy
Hey guys,
I did have the 7 cell units wired in series, the amp draw was rediculous, ocer 60 amps so i wire 3 cels together and then the remaining 4 cells on each unit, amp draw went way down and then i brought it back up with my electrolyte mix which is 4 TBLSPN potassium hydroxide to 2.5Gal distilled water.
I have turkey thermometers mounted on the outside of my units and so far they have reached 130 degrees so i would be leary of using a thin polyethylene container which i see in the pics posted by waynbo unless you have a PWM unit controlling the current so you amp draw/heat build up is low. I am STILL waiting for my PWMPOWER.COM pwm unit to arrive, who knows when that will be so i purchased another from D14 Lawton Style PWM
cant wait to get one ogf these hhoked up as well as my new MAP adjuster to lean it out at highway cruise to see if i can reach my goal of 30MPG!
Later
Tim
Are your driving a gasser? A map adjuster is not needed for my diesel is it?

I am in the process of building my smack.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Consider your truck battery.
6 cells wired in series, 2 volts per cell = 12 volt battery

So with a constant electrolyte strength and plate spacing, a 6 cell HHO generator will divide the 13.5 volts by 6 and use 2.25 volts per cell.

In my first test I hooked the negative to the long center plate, and a positive to each long side plate.
Spacing was .125" between plates that are 2" x 15" x .125".
The way it is, there are 4 cells per side wire series, and the two sides are wired parallel, so I was running 3.4 volts per cell and drawing about 20 amps per side for a 40 amp total draw.
I was making a liter of gas in 45 seconds.

Right now I have about 3/4 the stuff I need to change the spacing between plates to .0625" and add several more plates to each side.
Still waiting on another handfull of nylon washers so I can put it all back together.
If I was thinking right that night, I would have changed the wiring so positive went in one side plate and negative went in the other side plate to see what difference 8 cells wired series made in draw and production.
But I was tired and didn't think everything through before I tore it apart.
I may stick it back together just so I can do that while waiting on more parts though.

My original plan had a setup like that, with every other plate being either positive or negative.
But to much of my reading research has led me to believe that setup will have temperature problems.
So I went with the change in an effort to drop the voltage between plates to under 2 volts, just didn't have enough parts to get 7 plates on each side.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:24 PM
twtcad
Senior User
Dave....how are you isolating the + & - plates from the all thread you have holding the plates together? This is why I went with a nylon bolt & sleeve to hold all the plates together. I plan to do some more experimenting with mine Wednesday evening as I will be home alone for the evening.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:12 AM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
I was wondering the same, and it looked like the metal was bent at the base and probably shorting out a couple of cells too.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:58 AM
subliminaltrips
Junior User
you could also use rubber grommets like they sell at your local head shop for water bongs to go around the all thread. just throwing my old school stoner idea out there, not that i condone such activities any more. that type of grommet would be perfect though.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:39 AM
dlmcbm
Junior User
This is a huge thread here and i am trying to take it all in. anyway has anyone played with the spacing of the plates? I see that most are using .125 spacing. I just watched a video (youtube i think) that they had .010 spacing using electric tape and seemed to get nice size bubbles from it. Just thought i would throw that in there. maybe you all have done it already.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:08 AM
subliminaltrips
Junior User
i would think that tape would cover up the suface area ? and the closer the plates are the more apt to shorting out i would think.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:18 PM
lowell75
Senior User
Originally Posted by waynebo
The box i beleive can handle probally 190 degs or more,i put hot water to 125 degs and it was still solid with no effects at all..

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/PICT0002.jpg
Action Products makes a model #5601 the same LxW but about 4 inches less hieght. It would probably mount along the underframe nicely and be a good place for it... Where to buy??

Old 06-18-2008, 01:47 PM
waynebo
Senior User
Originally Posted by lowell75
Action Products makes a model #5601 the same LxW but about 4 inches less hieght. It would probably mount along the underframe nicely and be a good place for it... Where to buy??
To much if you ask me,and a little short
http://www.theoutdoorworld.com/products2.cfm?id=3392

Hers another box that i like..Sportsmen’s Dry Box - SDB-0

http://www.ammoboxes.com/atvdrybox.html

Old 06-18-2008, 04:00 PM
RARE_1
Junior User
I just did some math in another thread. If anyone can correct it please do.

It actually got me more excited! If only it could get me more time!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ml#post6265167

Old 06-18-2008, 05:00 PM
lowell75
Senior User
Originally Posted by RARE_1
I just did some math in another thread. If anyone can correct it please do.

It actually got me more excited! If only it could get me more time!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ml#post6265167
If I were to look at playing around a saturday with a fruitjar , wires and baking soda or sitting back with a six pack I think the latter has got it! I do think that putting togeather some stainless steel plates in a reasonable container with some adequate #10 AWG wiring maybe hooked through a starter solenoid (from JY ) hook to a switch the driver might operate with an indicator lite would be a worthwhile project. Spending some time and couple hundred geathering up and putting togeather a system that won't destroy your electrical system or corrode everything in sight that could potentially mean 20% better economy on the road sounds interesting!! If it works more fine tuning could be in order... and you would have something to build on (more plates ).

Old 06-18-2008, 05:55 PM
FORD MEGA CAB!!!
Elder User
I havn't read the whold post, don't have time to, but what type of metal was most sutible for the plates. I may try expirementing with it some. Thanks

Old 06-18-2008, 06:07 PM
lowell75
Senior User
Originally Posted by FORD MEGA CAB!!!
I havn't read the whold post, don't have time to, but what type of metal was most sutible for the plates. I may try expirementing with it some. Thanks
Definitely read everything here... and there are some good pointers to other sites. I found a couple of sellers of 316L plates already cut on EBAY.

Quick Reply: The HHO injection thread