2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 Cam Phaser Malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 11:59 PM
Kevin_JG
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation '05 Cam Phaser Malfunction?

Yeah i recently took my 2005 F150 5.4L into the shop for a ticking in the motor. I had thought that a lifter went out or a lobe on the camshaft was worn. After diagnostics they told me that the Cam phasers on each of the front double over head cams were the cause of the engine noise. they replaced them but said that the ones they had installed will probly do the same thing and or more noise than the initial ones.. after about 2 weeks i can hear a ticking again.. they told me that all of the F150s with that motor made the noise.. Does anyone else have this problem? the noise is between 750 RPM and 1000 RPM ..

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-19-2008, 01:23 AM
felixr
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, mine made it as well (I dont have it anymore for unrelated reasons)
I also heard that it was a common malady(sp?)
It was pretty loud when you popped the hood
sounded like teeny tiny clanging as opposed to ticking since it was so bad
took a mechanic's stethoscope to a fuel rail and almost blew my ear drums out . . . sounded like there were hundreds of those midgets from ***** wonka playing flight of the bumblebee on the spoons

trusted mechanic said it wasnt hurting anything

Old 03-19-2008, 01:28 AM
Kevin_JG
Freshman User
so im guessing yours still has this pathetic racket as well? =/

Old 03-19-2008, 01:31 AM
felixr
Elder User
no i got rid of that truck . . . it was an 05 with 72k miles and almost zero oil when i got it from the stealership

i returned it

i now have an 04 with 31k miles from a major dealer

i havent heard any noises yet thankfuly

Old 03-19-2008, 01:36 AM
Kevin_JG
Freshman User
ahh, ok .. well i hope you the best of luck with your '04 , i hear they have a few quirks to them, and ive always been told to never get a 1st year edition of something.. i just hope these phasers wont mess anything up major.. i got a edge programer installed now, and i really dont wanna tear anything up, lol

Old 03-21-2008, 03:37 PM
badfl97
Junior User
Mine has been doing this since brand new. I braught it back they said same thing just a loud motor because plastic valve covers. I just live with it now, kinda sounds like a diesel expecially at drive throughs. Truck has 54000.miles on it and still runs great.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Kevin_JG
Freshman User
yeh, mine has 52k on it.. runs awsome too, just when your sittin in line at mc d's or something you can hear it echo off that wall.. makes me sick cause it sounds so nasty

Old 03-22-2008, 10:36 AM
badfl97
Junior User
I know it is the most agrivating sound but like you said truck still runs awsome. I had ford do work on my wifes explorers rear end, and it never rode the same after they did the work I actually had to get rid of the truck because it drove me nuts. So I will live with the drive through diesel.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:51 AM
Chris_R
New User
me to

2004 screw cab FX4 bangs like a diesel when it warms up.

The truck has 69k on it and no warranty left, I did contact Ford Motor Company about the problem, i dont want to spend 2 grand on a fix that might not work.

I have read stories about them changing motors under warranty for this problem, youd think Ford would step up, after all...this engine was SUPPOSE to be more quiet and better running than the older 5.4 liter.

I doubt i'll get anything free...if you all send them a note with your problem, and let them know... it's worth a try, maybe they might engineer a perminent fix for the dreaded ticking.

C

Old 03-26-2008, 05:23 AM
BandBFord
Senior User
Oh the noise...

Mine is in the shop as I type to have the cam phasers and lash adjusters changed under warranty... we'll see if it helps when I get my truck back.

I Hope so...

Old 03-26-2008, 09:32 AM
FS-150
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kevin_JG
Yeah i recently took my 2005 F150 5.4L into the shop for a ticking in the motor. I had thought that a lifter went out or a lobe on the camshaft was worn. After diagnostics they told me that the Cam phasers on each of the front double over head cams were the cause of the engine noise. they replaced them but said that the ones they had installed will probly do the same thing and or more noise than the initial ones.. after about 2 weeks i can hear a ticking again.. they told me that all of the F150s with that motor made the noise.. Does anyone else have this problem? the noise is between 750 RPM and 1000 RPM ..
I had mine replaced @ 12,000 miles. I now have 51,000 miles and still quiet. Are you sure the ticking is not just the injectors? Bad cam phase sensors usually make more of a "knocking" sound, and it is usually heard under 1k RPM and after the oil temp has warmed up.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:57 AM
JimTex
Senior User
Originally Posted by FS-150
I had mine replaced @ 12,000 miles. I now have 51,000 miles and still quiet. Are you sure the ticking is not just the injectors? Bad cam phase sensors usually make more of a "knocking" sound, and it is usually heard under 1k RPM and after the oil temp has warmed up.
Yep, that is what I was thinking. All these engines make the ticking noise, especially heard at idle, coming from the injectors. The cam phaser is more of a knock coming from the front of the engine, and is heard more after warm up.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:53 AM
jimvh2
Junior User
My 05 is at the Ford dealer right now.

97,000 miles on the clock and it's sitting there waiting for the inspector to approve it. They have given me some flak about my aftermarket oil filter and will deny if there is filter media in the engine (indicating a filter came apart).

I have complained about this since 50k and have been told that it was normal injector noise. if they deny this i'm going to go nuts. Right now i'm patiently waiting......

The service writer asked me to give them the service records, i scanned and emailed every service receipt from the first one until my most recent service 3 weeks ago. She commented how organized I was and was suprised that I had every receipt. i thanked her and asked if she thought that a small claims judge would be equally impressed.

We'll see.....

Old 04-06-2008, 10:08 AM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
My 08's not making any noise, but it's still new. I've heard some of the ones with cam phaser issue, and it's really not that bad. It might drive the person sitting in the cab nuts, but it doesn't bother the person next to you at the light.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:49 AM
Chris_R
New User
My Reply From Ford

Yea My 04 FX4 truck is as smooth as silk when cold in the morning and only starts to tick loudly when warmed up. I have exchanged letters with Ford a few times, below is the last answer i was given.

Apparently if its a safety issue, they HAVE to do something...however if it is a quality issue...they are not so willing.

I bought a new Taurus back in 01, i was standing beside the car...BOOM, the front tire went flat, upon inspection the front spring busted, sending a chunck of coil spring in the side wall of the front tire. The car had about 20K on it. Ford re-called all the cars and put new springs, and spring guards on the front of the cars

Last week i spent over $400, puting new springs on the back..why?..because they were broken in two or three pieces...BUT since the back springs didnt fly into the tires..no re-call...You see if they can get sued for safety problems...huge re-call..if its just poor quality..no re-call.

Same spring problem...no re-call?

I know there are 20-30 year old cars and trucks out there that have NEVER broken a coil spring.

I reckon if the poor designed cam phaser caused the truck to stall in traffic, then we would have no problem getting Ford to fix the problem, however if it is just a quality issue...to freakin bad.

I Fail to see how Ford says "Quality is Job #1"

Dear Chris,

Ford and the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA)
work together to proactively identify areas of concern through
investigation of consumer and dealer feedback. During an investigation Ford
cooperates fully with NHTSA. Ford does not speculate on the outcome of
any current investigation or future actions. Due to our rigorous
safety standards and constant testing, not all issues result in Field
Service Actions or Customer Satisfaction Programs. If a program is announced
on a specific component, Ford will notify you by mail. Please keep us
informed of any address changes.

Quick Reply: '05 Cam Phaser Malfunction?