1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to stop dinger when engine is started ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:13 PM
jeffdoerr
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
how to stop dinger when engine is started ?

anybody know what the 6 dings are for when you start the engine. I would guess seatbelt, but I shut off the factory belt-minder a while ago. Anyway, the dinging is getting very annoying and becomes a problem when I am on the phone or talking to a customer. I either need to find a way to shut that off or at least make it a little quieter.

thanks.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:12 PM
WesDaBest
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it was the seatbelt. Mine doesnt do the full six dings if I buckle the seat belt and if its buckled before I start the truck it doesnt do it at all.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:16 PM
redford
Received 1,628 Likes on 952 Posts
This is from the 2006 owners manual:

Airbag readiness: If this light fails
to illuminate when ignition is turned
to ON, continues to flash or remains
on, have the system serviced
immediately. A chime will also sound when a malfunction in the
supplemental restraint system has been detected.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:53 AM
JOE-M
Elder User
Do all your warning lights prove out when you turn the switch on? The parking brake being on 1 click or more will cause a warning chime every once in a while. It will continue to do it every few minutes. Sorry but I don't remember how many chimes it is.
joe

Old 03-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Sebs
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe it's the seat belt reminder that is still dinging at you. Here is what the 2008 owners manual says about the belt minder feature.
"The Belt-Minder feature is a supplemental warning to the safety belt warning function. This feature provides additional reminders to the driver that the driver’s safety belt is unbuckled by intermittently sounding a chime and illuminating the safety belt warning lamp in the instrument cluster."
So, you've only disabled the additional annoying reminders. I'm with you though, I'd like to eliminate the dinging completely. I suspect that it's all done in the computer and there is no simple way to do it.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Camo4x4
New User
The belt minder only comes on after you put your truck in gear and start driving. I turned off my belt minder too and my truck still has the six beeps when I start it, but it stops when I buckle my seat belt. Or when I start my truck with the seat belt already clicked, it doesn't do it at all. I don't know what its for or why it does it, but try strarting your truck with the seatbelt already fastened and hopefully that will fix it. Be nice to stop the beeping completly without worrying about it though.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:23 AM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
read your owners manual!

In it you will find the section that will direct you to resolve the stupid dingers you hear.
You need to cycle the key a few times and go through some programing hoops but ALL those features are "programable" (at least in my model and year truck)

I believe it is in the 'safety / security' chapter but don't quote me on that.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:05 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts
And for those of us who don't have a manual? Also, I was wondering if you could just run a jump wire from one side of the seat belt wiring to the other to complete the circuit, maybe making the seatbelt minder shut off? Anyone know if that would work?

Old 03-20-2008, 12:19 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 307 Likes on 157 Posts
Sounds like the air bag light is blown - the 6 dings has been discussed here before - check it - turn the ignition key to ON without starting the engine, all lights should light including the air-bag light.

Did you buy this truck used? I wonder if the air bag deployed at some point and instead of replacing the air bag, they just removed the air-bag light.

Originally Posted by redford
This is from the 2006 owners manual:

Airbag readiness: If this light fails
to illuminate when ignition is turned
to ON, continues to flash or remains
on, have the system serviced
immediately. A chime will also sound when a malfunction in the
supplemental restraint system has been detected.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:22 PM
tawilson1152
Junior User
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
And for those of us who don't have a manual? Also, I was wondering if you could just run a jump wire from one side of the seat belt wiring to the other to complete the circuit, maybe making the seatbelt minder shut off? Anyone know if that would work?
I was able to download a manual from the Ford site for my '06, and I have followed the disable seat belt chime procedure and still have the dings and my airbag works and goes off after a few seconds.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:35 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts
The 6 dings are telling you to fasten your seat belt. If you have already fastened the belt, then you have a malfunctioning belt latch switch.

The belt minder only comes into play after you are driving. If not disabled, it will continue to give you a reminder every minute or so. Most guys do disable that. The 6 dings at startup are NOT the belt minder feature.

There is no programming function that I am aware of that will disable the 6 dings upon startup. That warning is probably federally mandated.

You can just wear your belt. Or, fasten it behind your seat if you are looking for facial reconfiguration via impact.

Bill

Old 03-20-2008, 06:14 PM
jeffdoerr
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
it is the seat belt reminder that is dinging. I shut of the belt-minder feature a long time ago, its just the dinger that sounds during start-up. I noticed today that if I press in the seatbelt release, the dinger stops. I may experiment with crossing a wire to stop this, unless someone can point me to the actual little spearer that causes all the loud noise.

save the 'wear the seatbelt' argument for someone that cares. I dont, and I will not. If it were up to me there would be no more helmet laws either. Last time I checked, I was free white and 21. That means it MY choice, and NOT yours.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:46 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 307 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffdoerr
save the 'wear the seatbelt' argument for someone that cares. I dont, and I will not. If it were up to me there would be no more helmet laws either. Last time I checked, I was free white and 21. That means it MY choice, and NOT yours.
Yes, you are totally free to do whatever you want - including having the air bag put your face out the back of your head.

If you don't wear the belt, DISABLE THE AIR BAG. The air bag (actually, it's cover) will do a lot of damage without the belt.

But I do agree with you in regards to the laws enacted to "protect" us.

Having been in a few front-end accidents, I'll wear my belt, thank you very much. One of my best friends refused to wear his belt - you should see the scars on his face after 20 years when we were both in the car (I was driving) and someone pulled out in front of me. His face ate the windshield. And shattered the windshield, too. My shoulder had a red mark about 1 inch long. Guess who lost the most blood? Guess who would have been on the front hood, the pavement, or in/on/under the other car if I hadn't slammed on the brakes as fast as I did? I have 5 more examples of accidents I've been in, where if I wasn't wearing my belt, it would have been a LOT worse - as in I wouldn't be here

One thing about this subject just jiggled something in my brain. The ABS light being bad, doesn't that produce a BEEP and not the typical seat-belt ding? (although I think my seat belt ding is a lot more than 6).

Old 03-21-2008, 03:07 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by krewat
One thing about this subject just jiggled something in my brain. The ABS light being bad, doesn't that produce a BEEP and not the typical seat-belt ding? (although I think my seat belt ding is a lot more than 6).
Mine is 6. Counted them yesterday before posting. I actually hear them everyday because I wait for my glow plugs lamp to go out before I start, and then buckle up.

Totally agree too that the government should stay out of this. We don't need no stinking laws to make us wear our belts. Doesn't stop me from giving what I consider to be good advice to my friends here at FTE. I guess the OP didn't appreciate my advice. Shoot, I don't always wear mine either. But I know I should.

Bill