Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Engine cuts out with wipers

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 07:42 AM
chrissknr
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine cuts out with wipers

I once again am having problems with my 2000 F350 when driving in the rain with the wipers on. No engine warning light but truck will lose powersteering and engine dies but all electrical functional ie, stereo, lights etc. I am starting to get really frustrated because I have replaced the cam position sensor twice and filled the connector with die electric sealant and nothing seems to solve this issue. Wiring harness seems to be fine but if possible does anyone have a wiring diagram with the CPS and wiper motor, im inclined to think I may have a short when a chaffed or cut wire is exposed to the rain. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you have a problem in the steering column. The wiring in there of course.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:04 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
If it was being caused by something getting wet it would be doing whether the wipers were on or not. So you say you have all electrical functions. Does that include the blower motor. Seems to me the only ignition switch function that does not work in the acc position is the blower motor.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:09 AM
chrissknr
Freshman User
Markadeck, I actually havent looked at any wiring in the column itself but also heres something i find somewhat confuzing. If I manually turn the wipers each time ie turn the dial on and off each time then i do not have any problems so to say but if i set the wipers to a continuos speed and leave it there this is when the engine will cut out, but also if sitting at a stop light with no wipers on the engine will still cut off. This is becoming very complicated to troubleshoot because it is so inconsistent.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:16 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Does it have to be raining sitting at the stop light, or does it do it in dry conditions also. We're getting over my head here, and it is still the wrong time of day for the real experts to start chiming in.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:21 AM
chrissknr
Freshman User
To answer your question that if it was caused by something getting wet it would still do it without the wipers, but I was suggested to let the truck run in the rain without the wipers on and have had no issues what so ever, but if you walk to the truck and turn the wipers on, within 5 minutes the engine will cut out. Next I let the truck run in the shop out of the rain with the wipers on and had no cut out. . . but yes if the engine cuts out even the heater/ac blowers will be functioning. I have a hypertech programmer and even removed the programs and re-installed programs to see if there was any difference concerning this issue but no changes with or without the programmer. I hope im being clear and understandable with my discriptions but if you have any questions with my info please dont hesitate to call them out, your help is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:24 AM
chrissknr
Freshman User
No i have never had any issues with this truck in good weather. No stall no engine cut out etc . . . only in the rain. In good weather the performance is great.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:11 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I had a new windshield put in my wife's Expy a couple of years ago. It was a very dry spring and summer and we weren't driving it much back then so it took a while to notice anything until it started raining. It would do all kinds of funny things then. The wipers on the radio would quit. If I put it in neutral, with the wipers on, the radio would come back on. I thought it was the column or ignition switch because I didn't put together that it was the windshield because it had been months since it was installed, but it turns out that the windshield wasn't sealed properly and the water was leaking down the inside of the firewall and getting the fusebox wet. I had the company that did the windshield re-do the sealant and haven't had an issue since.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:15 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
I too have a strange electrical gremlin that I have chosen to live with because no one has any idea what causes it. My radio turns itself on when ever it feels like it, or switches to cd with no cd in the changer. Seems to do it only in cold weather and there is a buzzing sound coming from inside the dashboard when it does it. It's been doing it for years.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:43 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mark, yours, I would replace the radio,

Old 03-18-2008, 11:46 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Originally Posted by chrissknr
I once again am having problems with my 2000 F350 when driving in the rain with the wipers on. No engine warning light but truck will lose powersteering and engine dies but all electrical functional ie, stereo, lights etc. I am starting to get really frustrated because I have replaced the cam position sensor twice and filled the connector with die electric sealant and nothing seems to solve this issue. Wiring harness seems to be fine but if possible does anyone have a wiring diagram with the CPS and wiper motor, im inclined to think I may have a short when a chaffed or cut wire is exposed to the rain. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks.
I am trying to locate something that might be related here, but I have got nothing in the print that even seems related yet.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:49 AM
chrissknr
Freshman User
I think i just had an idea! the seal on my drivers side windshield is sticking out about a quarter inch on the vertical bar and maybe just maybe this is causing an issue, im going outside right now to see if this could be an issue.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:11 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
i would look for water, somwhere.. i see nothing in what I have to look at.. sorry

Old 03-18-2008, 12:28 PM
chrissknr
Freshman User
My seal was messed up but im not confident it will make a difference because even if the seal was allowing water to leak in, i dont see anywhere that it could get into the cab because all the seals route water down the door jam and exterior frame no openings into the cab. im definently not ruling the possibility out but i have a feeling it is something more than that.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:40 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Problems only when wipers are on and not just wet conditions? This is going to seem off the wall, but have your replaced your CPS? Seems way back on another thread, folks that were having similar issues all had parts store CPSs. Like Auto Zone, NAPA ect. We were trying to get to the bottom of the cause when the thread died. Some were thinking maybe some sort of interferance from the wiper motor to the cheaper form of CPS. If you haven't done your recall yet, now would be a good time to do in and rid that possiblity. If you have, then that shoots down this thought.

Quick Reply: Engine cuts out with wipers