1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

battery light

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 03:10 PM
41- powerstroke
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
battery light

hi everyone- i'm new to the psd world and on top of that i'm not the greatest mechanic. my battery light came on yesterday and luckily i was close to home. so i was going to replace my alternator today since my batteries look new. is there anything else i should check like a hidden fuse? the job looks pretty simple, but i would feel more comfortable if someone gave me step by step instructions. will there be any suprises along the way? and since we're on that subject, where can i get a GOOD repair manual? any advice would be greatly appreciated!

BTW: 1996 reg cab 4x4 7.3 with 166,000 miles.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:39 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome aboard. First check the connector on the alternator (the clips may need to be squeezed together to make good contact). This is a common problem. Before you replace your alternator take your truck to an auto parts store and have them check your alternator out put. Also have them load test your batteries seperately (you will need to disconnect them for this). You can get repair manuals on CD on ebay for a good price. Ford has good paper manuals, but they cost alot.