Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Transmission Question

Old 03-12-2008, 08:44 PM
BanksPSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Transmission Question

I have a 2002 F-250 with basic upgrades... (air intake, 4" exhaust, edge w/ attitude stacked with Sniper programmer) The guys that tuned the Sniper programmer tweeked the line pressure and shift points on my tranny making it shift harder and stay in gear longer.

Ok... my question is:

When I am in lvl 5 (highest), full throttle truck shifts fine untill it shifts from 3rd to 4th gear. when it is shifting from 3rd to 4th it is having problems, it won't shift right in; it revs up then down then up again... finally it catches and I can continue on with my romping.
If I let off the gas, just a tad, it will shift just fine...

I was told it was the TC is this true?
What could i do to solve this problem?

Old 03-12-2008, 09:02 PM
ts_stroker
Junior User
it sounds like the torque converter is slipping. the only thing that i can think of is to go get a triple disc torque convert from ats. lil bit pricey but it will be worth .

Old 03-12-2008, 09:04 PM
fxstbchopper
Fleet Mechanic
Welcome to the FTE.

Yes I believe it is the TC causing this. Some tuners have programs to help with the problem I believe Jody at DP-Tuner is one of them that has worked this out. But someone with more info maybe able for chime in on this.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:10 PM
BanksPSD
Senior User
Thanks, I am willing to throw down about $1000 on a TC i just want to make sure that is the problem... I need to get one anyway, i plan on getting a Ball bearing turbo in the future.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:10 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My almost new torque slipped on lockup and DP Tuner cured it

Old 03-12-2008, 09:16 PM
fxstbchopper
Fleet Mechanic
I believe the program from the factory has a delay in it for the lockup going from 3rd to 4th and when you up the pressure say with a tuner it causes this to get real bad but like I said I believe Jody was able to work the delay out as Ray has said that his does not slip now with his DP-Tuner.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:22 PM
elwood73
Cross-Country
i want you to get a transmission cooler from a 6.o and a torque convereter and valve body kit from bts in arkansas, speaking from someone who who waited to long and cost them over 4 grand to fix my problem, trust me, if you plan on keeping your truck, this is in your best interest, pm me for my phone number if you wish

Old 03-12-2008, 09:29 PM
BanksPSD
Senior User
I have the 6.0 Intercooler it came stock with my truck... I will look into the valve body and the TC. thanks a lot!

Old 03-12-2008, 09:31 PM
BanksPSD
Senior User
Originally Posted by fxstbchopper
Welcome to the FTE.

Yes I believe it is the TC causing this. Some tuners have programs to help with the problem I believe Jody at DP-Tuner is one of them that has worked this out. But someone with more info maybe able for chime in on this.
How do i get in contact with these people?

Old 03-12-2008, 09:34 PM
fxstbchopper
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by BanksPSD
How do i get in contact with these people?
Here you go. And I do agree a VB would do you some good but I don't think you need a new TC. The VB would help with the pressure on the trans.

http://www.dp-tuner.com/

Old 03-12-2008, 09:52 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
give John Wood a call and explain your problem,he also has one of the best valve bodies
(760) 356-9421
he is the one that recomended I get the DP

Old 03-13-2008, 12:40 AM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Patty, from BTS will tell you to get the tuner first, find out what Hp you have, then order your VB. Brian custom builds each one specific to the truck/tranny.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:44 PM
elwood73
Cross-Country
when the torque converter blows, which it will, ford and dodge, they suck plain and simple, there not designed for stock let alone upgrade performance via computer chip program so on so forth, and when it does you'll have to replace both torque converter and transmission, when the torque converter goes, its turbine basically explodes into million of little pieces on fills your tranny with lovely little pieces of metal, in which requires you to obviously replace both, because seconds of little tiny sharp tiny metal wreak havoc on a mickey mouse factory built tranny, get a real torque converter and valve body, don't put it off, trust me it will bite you in the tuukist. my 4000 thousand dollars sense.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:42 PM
BanksPSD
Senior User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by elwood73
when the torque converter blows, which it will, ford and dodge, they suck plain and simple, there not designed for stock let alone upgrade performance via computer chip program so on so forth, and when it does you'll have to replace both torque converter and transmission, when the torque converter goes, its turbine basically explodes into million of little pieces on fills your tranny with lovely little pieces of metal, in which requires you to obviously replace both, because seconds of little tiny sharp tiny metal wreak havoc on a mickey mouse factory built tranny, get a real torque converter and valve body, don't put it off, trust me it will bite you in the tuukist. my 4000 thousand dollars sense.
Sounds good, I like the layman terms... I have been thinking about changing the TC anyway so i'll add the Valve body to my list.

How difficult is it to change the valve body? I'm semi mechnically inclined could i do it?

Old 03-14-2008, 12:46 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 241 Likes on 186 Posts
I disagree about the TC. 02 is a long ways away from new. A new trans is LESS LIKELY to break than an old one. If that breaks, what do you do with the TC? You have to send it back to the factory to cut apart and clean before re-welding it. $$$. Just get the VD and be happy. When your trans goes, change it all out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Question