Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idle/fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 07:37 PM
pimpstang18
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
idle/fuel problem

94, f150, 4.9L, unknown milage

at idle the rpm jumps up and down. just replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor. helped a little. then we tried to set the timing, first problem is the timing mark is on the bottom of the pully, has anyone ever heard of this?

the mark was of no help so we timed it by ear, when idle is fine it lacks power and throttle response, and throws black smoke out of the tail pipe, also misses when revving (but this fixed the idle) when idle is rough it runs fine unless you hit the throttle quickly then it misses and shoots out black smoke.

can't find a vaccuum leak anywhere, think it's some sort of fuel problem due to the black smoke but can't figure out what. i'm going to replace the fuel pressure regulator tommorow and see what happens.

anyone have any other ideas?

Old 03-09-2008, 08:53 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,250 Likes on 821 Posts
I've had all those symptoms on my '88 F-150 w/ 5.8L and I had to replace the idle air control motor, EGR valve and sensor and then ultimately the onboard processor. The truck wasn't giving any codes and no one could figure it out. Finally a Ford Tech suggested the processor may be bad. I bought a rebuilt one from a parts store and it still didn't solve all of my problems. Ultimately, I had found a chaiffed injector wire that was shorting everything out. After I re-insulated the wire, the truck ran like new one.

Tim

Old 03-09-2008, 09:56 PM
fmr9
Elder User
I have an idea. Are you familar with the spout connection and setting the timing?
If no, do a search and read all about it. Then set your timing and see what you have, and what codes are stored.
Good Luck Frank

Old 03-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Animalistic
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black smoke is too much fuel or oil burning. You realy need to set the timing as fmr9 says above. Doing it by ear these days just won't cut it. These engines are just too touchy. Do a search for "Timing 4.9" and follow the procedure. Even better, if you plan on keeping the truck, invest $15.00 and get the Chilton's for it. It will be worthless for troubleshooting but it will be a lifesaver when you need the steps to do something or the torque settings. Good luck.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:46 AM
Noneshere
Senior User
Possibly an internal vacuum leak by/from a weak PCV

Pull the PCV hose and plug it with a bolt.

Crank the engine and see if it smooths out.

Even if this is not the problem it should run smoother.

All to many times the PCV (from the crank case *oil/rich burn*) will be an internal vaccum leak.

Just because a PCV "rattles" dose not mean its good.

There is a spring on top of the weighted plug inside. if the spring is weak it will allow a weak vacuum to draw air from the crank case prematurly and can cause idling problems .

It's also possible to have a good idle with the plug wires in the wrong placement.....Only to have the simptoms you say missing ,blowing out the exhaust once the throttle is pressed .

Check your TPI setting and make sure it is set correctly with a meter.
This is the reason I tell people to purchase the $10 PCV instead of the $2 ones.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:42 AM
pimpstang18
Freshman User
thanks guys i'm going to try a few of those things today, i'll let you know how it turn out