Ford 2.3L ...Seized Head

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 06:39 PM
seven up
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ford 2.3L ...Seized Head

Hi, Thanks for Looking. I need some advice. 2.3 litre four banger with dual plug head.

It's a roller rocker head. 54K miles. Well, went out and started it up and went back in the house. When I came out it had stalled.

Long story short the head is seized up and cannot be turned from the cam sproket...PB Blaster and all. I did notice the oil pressure guage was pegged below zero pressure until it warmed up..dumb#$% ... I figured it had to be the sender. No noises or smoke.

Is this a common thing ? It looks like I just sat back
and let the thing fry itself. It's a zero contact engine so the pistons and valves should be ok. I'm thinking cam bearings from an oil pump failure.

I never attempt working on an electronic engine so this is sorta frustrating.

Any ideas on how to proceed ?

Thanks.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Wouldn't that still be under warranty?
I just changed the cam out in my Courier, not sure how similar the engines are, but it was maybe a three hour job.
I'd be looking at a rebuilt engine, or a good running replacement, though, if you don't want to go through cleaning debris out and replacing about every bearing in the engine.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:26 PM
seven up
Junior User
No warranty. It's a '92. I'll try to grab another head from the yards if I can't figure out what's up with this one.

Thanks for your reply.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
I'd worry about more than the head if the cam seized. I'd really go for a whole other engine, or rebuild the one you have with a new head. You need to at least pull the pan and change the pump out, might as well do bearings while you're in there, especially since the oil pump died-

Old 03-08-2008, 10:33 PM
seven up
Junior User
Am I on the right track assuming it's the oil pump ?

I'll part it out before all the change is spent on an engine swap and then find out the computer doesn't like it.

Thanks for your recommendation.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:04 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Why wouldn't the computer like it? I've done full rebuilds on Toyota and Ford engines that are fully computer controlled, even swapped out the whole block from a carbureted Toyota into an EFI one with no problems. As long as the needed sensors are there, it'll be fine.
A Ranger or Mazda B2300, and possibly Mustang in the same year range should have the same engine for a swap.
And yes, if the oil pressure was really low then it smoked the cam, it probably needs an oil pump.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:05 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I'd be looking for something blocking the pickup tube. There was a time when the pan gasket material on 2.3 engines turned to little particles that were sucked into the oil pump screen, and blocked flow. Your cam bearings may be ruined, but the mains and rods may be ok. Remove the timing belt and see if the crankshaft turns over freely. If it does, either get a boneyard head or take yours to a machine shop for bearing replacement and refinishing of the camshaft. Lots less work and money than replacing an engine. Well, you could possibly find a complete used 2.3 for similar money, but you get what you pay for, as in who knows how bad or good that engine is.
tom

Old 03-09-2008, 01:40 PM
seven up
Junior User
I'll get the head off at least and go through the oil system, the pickup and pump. The valve cover is just laying there on top.

It's a square groove timing belt and that was in nice shape. Shredded it from cranking...so yeah it still cranks.

I'll look into repairing the mess and getting it going. Too many projects.

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Old Rob
Junior User
Minimally take it out and tear it down. CLEAN everything up and check for other wear. If you don't get it cleaned out, you will be right back where you're at now most likely. If you can find a good used head in the yards that would be cheaper than rebuilding yours. There are a lot of the dual plug heads around reasonably priced as the racers don't use them.

tech people at www.powerbyace.com may be able to help you also.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:57 PM
mustangman
Senior User
have heard when ford switched to aluminum oil pans i think in 91-92 ,the gasket used on the oil pan tends to break up,bad design material in the gasket,,well the bad news it plugs up the oil screen when it breaks in little pieces causing the death of the 2.3, hope on yours this is not the case,goodluck ,,,,,,the 2.3 is one tough motor

Old 03-15-2008, 06:06 PM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
FWIW, there was a slug installed in the oil passage at the Driver side rearmost area that is not documented in anything I have ever seen. I think it was to limit oil flow to the head or to limit leakdown after the engine was shutdown.
If anyone really knows, please chime in... Did I imagine the whole thing...
tom

Old 03-15-2008, 06:10 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pull it, break it down, and look at all of it.

Engines only sieze if there is no lube happenning. If that is true - WE ARE WAY BEYOND cam bearings here.

At a minimum you're looking at an engine R&R, full gasket set, and likely some machine work and new bearings everywhere.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:08 AM
Old Rob
Junior User
Originally Posted by tomw
FWIW, there was a slug installed in the oil passage at the Driver side rearmost area that is not documented in anything I have ever seen. I think it was to limit oil flow to the head or to limit leakdown after the engine was shutdown.
If anyone really knows, please chime in... Did I imagine the whole thing...
tom
There is an aftermarket restrictor that is put in the head behind the o pressure sender to limit oil to the cam and lifters. Used for racing, not really a good idea. I've built many 2.3's and have never encountered a plug in either of the two main oil galleys.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:52 PM
seven up
Junior User
I want to thank everyone for taking the time. I'll be starting on this soon and your posts will be a great help.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you can find one - think about rounding up a spare engine to build up as a standby or performance toy.

Quick Reply: Ford 2.3L ...Seized Head