what does seafoam do for my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 02:36 PM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what does seafoam do for my engine?

I have seen many threads here about running seafoam through you brake booster line. I was wondering what this does as a benefit for my engine and what is the best way to do it, I have seen a few different methods. Thanks for the input.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:39 PM
CLG34
Junior User
I think it is a fuel inj. cleaner that is fed in through the brake booster line rather than in the gas tank like chevron techron for example. Keeps everything nice and clean so you dont see a drop in performance or mpg or so they say.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Doofy Boots
New User
I put Sea foam right into my crankcase the day before an oil change. It doesn't harm the engine, but I wouldn't run it for over a day. It un-gunks and I could notice when the oil was draining out. Sea foam is the best, I use it in gas tank, before oil change in crankcase, right into my air intake. Make sure your in a well ventilated area if you put it into your air intake. Really smokey and stinky.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:33 PM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
I had issues of truck dying after start up first thing in the morning. I cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner, cleaned the intake with intake cleaner, and ran seafoam through the brake booster (serious smoke show!). After doing all this the truck has started great every morning. Hopefully it is not just because it is getting warmer out! The intake was very gunked up and judging from the smoke after the seafoam, that could only help also. Took a total of about an hour and twelve bucks.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Mtthwvn73
Elder User
I ran seafoam through my bronco, I think it would have worked better if it didn't have a couple of busted rings. It did seem to run better, but it was still missing a little bit.

I've been thinking about running it through my DD, but then I don't want to take a chance of messing anything up...

Matt

Old 03-15-2008, 07:17 AM
vze2sgxa
Senior User
Q1: What does Seafoam do for your engine?
A1: If used in the gas tank, it cleans the injectors as you drive. If used in the crankcase, it dilutes the lubricative properties of oil.

Q2: What does diluted oil in your crankcase do for your engine?

Old 03-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Mtthwvn73
Elder User
Q2: What does diluted oil in your crankcase do for your engine?
It will "clean" the sludge out of the motor.

It's like what a lot of the old timers used to do when they're hands were greasy...wash off with some gasoline. It's the best thing for cleaning off your hands (and giving you cancer). This is essentially the same concept. If there is grease or sludge built up in your motor, thinning the oil will thin out the sludge and let it drain out on your next oil change.

I've heard of one person on here that ran a half gallon of kerosine through their motor for 3,000 miles....I don't know how good it was for the bearings but I guarantee it cleaned it out. If itw as me I'd use diesel, just for the fact that it does have SOME lubrication in it.

Matt

Old 03-15-2008, 10:27 PM
rg200amp
Senior User
I have used sea foam in my brake booster, vacume line ( I have a 01 f250 V10).

Note: i have used shell 87 gas, and marvel mystery oil in my gas tank for the past 1000 miles.

I had a little smoke on start up, not much, but my motor did Idle smooth after.

My truck has 62000 miles on the motor. my friend has a 06 chevy cobalt, he uses Wawa gas with no additive. His car has 30,000 miles on it. with the sea foam, his car smoked a *** LOAD!!!!!!!!!!!

so i think my shell, and Marvel mystery oil keeps me clean.

BUT, the cobalt and my truck run better than before.

so, I am FOR SEA FOAM every once and a while.

I use Marvel mystery oil in my shell gas (4oz to 10 gallons of gas) non-stop.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:45 AM
vze2sgxa
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mtthwvn73
It will "clean" the sludge out of the motor.

It's like what a lot of the old timers used to do when they're hands were greasy...wash off with some gasoline. It's the best thing for cleaning off your hands (and giving you cancer). This is essentially the same concept. If there is grease or sludge built up in your motor, thinning the oil will thin out the sludge and let it drain out on your next oil change.

I've heard of one person on here that ran a half gallon of kerosine through their motor for 3,000 miles....I don't know how good it was for the bearings but I guarantee it cleaned it out. If itw as me I'd use diesel, just for the fact that it does have SOME lubrication in it.

Matt
Nothing in the Ford repair and maintenance manuals recommends that an owner or anybody dilute the engine oil for any reason. Ford's tribologists (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribology) probably have a different view of diluting engine oil in a running engine. Changing oil on a regular interval is recommended.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:07 AM
rg200amp
Senior User
Originally Posted by vze2sgxa
Nothing in the Ford repair and maintenance manuals recommends that an owner or anybody dilute the engine oil for any reason. Ford's tribologists (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribology) probably have a different view of diluting engine oil in a running engine. Changing oil on a regular interval is recommended.

True, Ford dose not recommend oil additives. that is because there are WAY to many out there. ford, or any auto maker will not say its ok to use oil additives because they would have to test every brand under the sun. (cost to much)

so to cover there backs, they do not recommend any.
This dose not make it wrong.

I have used Marvel mystery oil in my crank case for 400 miles before a oil change with great results.

I would use sea foam in the oil, 5 min. before a oil change if you think you need it.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Mtthwvn73
Elder User
Originally Posted by vze2sgxa
Who said it???

I never once recommended diluting the oil. All I was doing was answering the question. I think that if you have an old motor that's built up with sludge it wouldn't hurt it...heck, there's enough old grease in some of these old motor's that they'd probably be fine filled with nothing but kersone in the crankcase, but I never once recommended it to anyone.

I do think that it's good to run a little bit of seafoam through the brake booster about every 10K miles, but this is to keep the valves and the top of the pistons from caking with carbon. This is the reason why you see the smoke. It's from all the unburnt carbon that's inside the combustion chamber. I ran a whole can into my bronco and after I was finished with the last little bit the motor wasn't even hardly smoking. Ran a whole lot better than when I bought it even.

Matt

Old 03-19-2008, 09:22 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
In the booster hose, it may knock some carbon off of the valves or pistons, but do nothing for the injectors unless you put it in the tank. I use a bottle of Techron @ every 3000 mile oil change and have had no problems at all.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:38 AM
redford
Received 1,563 Likes on 911 Posts
Running it through your intake (via the brake booster vacuum hose) cleans the deposits left in the intake from the PCV system.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:16 PM
HARALSON COUNTY
New User
Seafoam

oK LETS SEE IF I ADD THIS TO THE INTAKE IT SHOULD CLEAN OFF THE PISTON AND THE INTAKE IF I RUN IT THROUGH THE FUEL TANK WONT IT STILL CLEAN SOME OF THE GUNK OFF THE PISTONS AND THE INJECTORS.
AND IF ADDED TO THE FUEL HOW MUCH DO I USE TO A TANK AND DO I STILL NEED TO CHANGE THE OIL AFTER THE TANK IS EMPTY.
THANKS

Old 06-21-2008, 06:44 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The dosage is on the bottle, I'd recommend not bothering with it and just get a motorvac (Napa service center or Midas), IT'll cost a lot more but it really does clean the engine out where seafoam is a tossup if it does anything.

Quick Reply: what does seafoam do for my engine?