General Automotive Discussion

So any older dakota drivers here?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Caleb1
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So any older dakota drivers here?

I am onna really tight budget and lookin for a cheap fixer up 4x4. I love fords but cannot get my hands on one. I found an 1992 dodge dakota for 500 bucks that runs but needs qoute "minor" tranny work. it has a v6. Hav any of yall drove these? what do you think? did this year still have the sluggish 3.9? are any aftermarket lift kits available? Thanks in advance. I appreciate any info especially on gas mileage. Thanks!

Old 03-08-2008, 12:41 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a 91 Dakota with the 3.9 and it is going stong with well over 150,000 miles on it (bought by a niece). The 92 was the first year of the Magnum engine that had a lot more power than mine. They are good trucks but with something that old, it depends entirely on the condition and how it has been treated. Brand doesn't matter as much as condition.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:19 PM
gezn2
Junior User
Originally Posted by Caleb1
I am onna really tight budget and lookin for a cheap fixer up 4x4. I love fords but cannot get my hands on one. I found an 1992 dodge dakota for 500 bucks that runs but needs qoute "minor" tranny work. it has a v6. Hav any of yall drove these? what do you think? did this year still have the sluggish 3.9? are any aftermarket lift kits available? Thanks in advance. I appreciate any info especially on gas mileage. Thanks!
I've got a '91 2WD with the 3.9 and 5speed, it's been a damn decent runner and I've been pretty happy with it until some recent electrical 'issues', the only time I've felt *too* short on power was when I was pulling 1500 lb of scrap up hills on a trailer With mine, 22+ MPG isn't unusual in warm weather with a full load of tools and assorted crap......
'92 was the first year of the 'Magnum' engines and the added controls kicked up power output a bit, the automatic trannys have been getting a reputation for being a bit sensitive, they last better with some extra cooling and *always* use MOPAR-spec ATF. The GETRAG manual is damn-near bulletproof in this application if you keep it full of lube
These trucks, like all mopars of the same era, are quite prone to develop electrical 'gremlins' but in most cases you can work around them
There are lift kits and dress-up parts available.
It doesn't measure up to FTE, but the forums at Allpar have been fairly helpful keeping my old crock running, you might be able to find some useful info over there.......

Old 03-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Caleb1
Posting Guru
Hi I appreciate the info. I may call about it tomorrow. I really want a 1rst gen ranger 4x4 with 2.9 but I just need somethin to get me out of this ratty car im im drivin. farm boys dont belong in honda's.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:29 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Hi I appreciate the info. I may call about it tomorrow. I really want a 1rst gen ranger 4x4 with 2.9 but I just need somethin to get me out of this ratty car im im drivin. farm boys dont belong in honda's.
Hey what's up Caleb; I just wanted to add that I would be extra careful about first-gen Rangers with 2.9's; make sure you check it out really good. Definitely look at the oil if you find one. Early 2.9's are prone to head gaskets cracking; it was an issue they had to go back and fix. The reason I say this is because my first truck was an '88 Ranger with the 2.9, it only went to about 110,000 or so before the oil was chocolate milk, and the heads seeped oil from somewhere so bad that the front of the engine was in a while cloud the last couple weeks I had it. Sold that thing for 200 bucks! I miss it though, it was a cool truck none the less!

Old 03-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Caleb1
Posting Guru
Yeah I hope I can find a good one with no bad haskets and cracked heads. If I do I'll be allrite as long as my heat gauge works. I just love the "classic" look of the early rangers, somethin the s-1o's and dakotas never had.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:50 AM
gezn2
Junior User
I hear you, there's no good place to keep the toolbox
Early Rangers were good 'runners' but they're mostly gone around here in WI, the 'tinworm' got 'em I'm not sure where you are but keep an eye out for soft cab mounts and such....

Old 03-11-2008, 08:28 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> but needs qoute "minor" tranny work.

There is pretty much nothing "minor" about transmission work if it is an automatic. Figure $1400+ if you do not rebuild it yourself.

> *always* use MOPAR-spec ATF

I agree and just want to chime in it is ATF+4 that you usually need. If the person had put in Dextron III you can pretty much kiss the tranny good-bye. I caught it in time for one person that added it to their Voyager and dropped the pan and drained everything, but, it still slips now.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Caleb1
Posting Guru
Hey! I appreciate everyones responses! If it I buy it and the trannys bad im gonna grab one from a junkyard. I know plenty of people around here out in the country to get one from for around 150-200 bucks. Well I will let yall know what I decide. I called and left a message but they havent called back yet. Might be sold.