Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Engine Flush Add Additive

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:57 AM
johnsjsj
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Flush Add Additive

THIS LAST YEAR WHEN GETTING MY EMISSION INSPECTION TEST AND STICKER (REQUIRED IN COLORADO) I WAS TOLD BY THE HEAD ASE CERTIFIED MECHANIC THAT I SHOULD PUT IN AND RUN SOME "BG PRODUCTS - QUICK CLEAN" AND THEN CHANGE MY OIL AND THEN, PUT IN "BG PRODUCTS -- MOA (advanced formual)"
MY QUESTION IS, HAS ANYONE EVER USED THESE? WERE THEY GOOD OR BAD TO USE?

Last edited by johnsjsj; 03-07-2008 at 09:01 AM. Reason: MISSPELLING
Old 03-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Noooooooooo don't do it. Nearly all oil additives are either 1) bad for our engines and interfere with the HEUI operation, or 2) do absolutely nothing.

Regular oil changes keep these engines surprisingly clean. Besides, no oil additive is going to help you pass inspection. Save your money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-07-2008, 10:06 AM
VC-Racing
Freshman User
YES , DO NOT use it.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:19 AM
RogueSpear2023
Elder User
Another vote for don't use oil additives, if you really feel like doing something change to synthetic oil, my engine runs so much smoother now and actually will start when the temperatures go below -25 up here in the north country.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:51 AM
jrciii56
Elder User
I agree dont do it. Most oils have a great detergency package that keep you engine clean.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:30 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Why not run trans fluid for a hundred miles if you have to and then drain it out.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:51 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go back and kick the HEAD ASE CERTIFIED MECHANIC in the nuts and tell him to go find a sucker somewhere else

Old 03-08-2008, 06:27 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Go back and kick the HEAD ASE CERTIFIED MECHANIC in the nuts and tell him to go find a sucker somewhere else
I totally agree, this jerk is on some kind of commision deal the the supplier of whatever snake oil he is trying to peddle. You should print this thread, and hand it to him just before you apply the medicine suggested in the above quote.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:29 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aklim
Why not run trans fluid for a hundred miles if you have to and then drain it out.
Would one of these 10k dollar engines actually make it 100 miles on tranny fluid in the crankcase, or is this sarcasm of the steepest kind? This is even worse than the additive salesman. Some folks on here might actually try this.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:21 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by Markadeck
Would one of these 10k dollar engines actually make it 100 miles on tranny fluid in the crankcase, or is this sarcasm of the steepest kind? This is even worse than the additive salesman. Some folks on here might actually try this.
Sorry. Didn't mean to imply that we fill it with ATF. Just thinking a quart or two wouln't hurt provided you are just tooling around and not working the hell out of the engine.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:35 AM
TchTchr
Senior User
I had tranny oil get into the crankcase because of a busted vacuum modulator diaphragm (a couple of quarts). Although I probably wouldn't do it on purpose, it seemed to really "clean up" the engine. I drove it 3 1/2 hours on a road trip home like this - not knowing what was going on of course. It seemed to idle and run smoother after I fixed the problem and changed the oil. Engine and tranny are doing fine - those old W123's are tough!

Old 03-08-2008, 11:58 AM
IABill
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

At work (City of Des Moines) we just switched to BG full syn 15-40 for the diesels and hi-lo 30 for all else cept the cops crown vics. We started this process 6 months ago using oil testing on certian diesel powered test trucks IE: snowplows & garbage packers & 6.0 strokes. on the test trucks we did use oil pretreat or flush on the test units with no adverse effects.

I like many of you have been anti snake oil from the start but after seeing the benifits to the 6.0's we have have I have changed my point of view.
We also started using the intake cleaning program for the 6.0 and OMG what an improvement we have dramatically reduced the number of EGR failuers/plugs.
Have not seen a big change in the cummins or international powered units we have flushed.
But we have had no problems with the test units yet.
B-4 switching syn we are able to start them all without using the plug in block heaters another added benifit of the full syn. prior to that if it was below 15+F and it was not pluged in it would not start.
Our goal was to dramatically extend oil change intervalls still gathering data on how far to push them out......

The above is not a BG endorsement. But just opperational observations from using the products we/I intend to continue testing as I am a skeptic at heart.
Also if we start losing motors I would be the person having to answer WHY......
Hence the 12 month impelentation timeline...Cause I like my JOB!!!

Old 03-08-2008, 12:09 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can understand the use in your situation/application, you guys had some maintenance issues and are taking the steps to correct the problem. But, the original poster's situation was someone pushing a sale when he went in for an inspection sticker and no maintenance issue IMO. and not recommending a product because of an oil analysis report issue.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:16 PM
IABill
More Turbo
Question

If anyone has ANY data or information on the BG oil flush program causing failuers of any kind please forward it to me @ whvoitel@dmgov.org

As far as the tech pushing the flush sounds like a guy that gets paid by the hours he bills out.....

Old 03-09-2008, 12:47 PM
IABill
More Turbo
Question

Still looking for data??????
As many of you guys who were flaming flushing, one would think there is valid reason for your point of view........

Quick Reply: Engine Flush Add Additive