Modular V10 (6.8l)  

new gears for towing

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 08:14 AM
OverEngineer
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 4:88 are the right choice for you. A quick question-what speed do you want to run in 5th gear? How fast do you want to climb those grades? How often is the trailer weight going to be on the heavy side? Depending on the answers, you may want to consider a taller set of gears. Different application-I switched from 4:88 to 5:38

Old 04-05-2008, 12:47 PM
frankovsky
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Monsta
That's odd... My Superchips tuner has provisions for both tire and gear choices. My 4.30's are going in as we "speak" and the 'puter is already programmed with 4.30's and the new tire height.

What version do you have?
I am boxing up to return the 1715 MAX MicroTuner which lists calibration of speedometer for tire and gear changes as a feature. However, the "editing tire height and gear size option setting" never comes up during the custom tuning settings portion of the tuning process. It just goes from "speed limiter" to "view custom opts" and skips gears and tires. The funny thing is that I think the speedo is actually accurate now. I had a friend pace me home from the axle shop yesterday and it seems close to accurate running about 62mph at 2200rpm. Is it possible that the truck (which I bought used lifted with 35s) had already had the speedo recalibrated and because of that the tuner didn't find it necessary to offer tire/gear changes? But now, with mixed signals from the drivetrain (=ABS light), the PCM will accept recalibration. I'm gonna try retuning before sending it back. I hate not being able to throw cash at something and make it work! Will report back this afternoon.
Matt

Old 04-05-2008, 02:43 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by frankovsky
I am boxing up to return the 1715 MAX MicroTuner which lists calibration of speedometer for tire and gear changes as a feature. However, the "editing tire height and gear size option setting" never comes up during the custom tuning settings portion of the tuning process. It just goes from "speed limiter" to "view custom opts" and skips gears and tires. The funny thing is that I think the speedo is actually accurate now. I had a friend pace me home from the axle shop yesterday and it seems close to accurate running about 62mph at 2200rpm. Is it possible that the truck (which I bought used lifted with 35s) had already had the speedo recalibrated and because of that the tuner didn't find it necessary to offer tire/gear changes? But now, with mixed signals from the drivetrain (=ABS light), the PCM will accept recalibration. I'm gonna try retuning before sending it back. I hate not being able to throw cash at something and make it work! Will report back this afternoon.
Matt
Frankovsky,

Click on the link below and read the thread. These guys know what there talking about when it comes to tuning and may help shed some light on the situation.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...and-gears.html

If it were me I would ditch the Superchips tuner and go with an SCT tuner with a custom tune. Mike @ 5 Star is currently doing a tune for my truck.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:30 PM
kappysworld
Senior User
Funny I just ran my Hypertech programer today wanting to change the gear setting as the manual says and it didnt come up as and option....Shift points, tire size, and sift firmness.... No gear change??? Kind of disapointing....Gonna call Hypertech on Monday as well as 5startuning.com see what I can do next.....

Old 04-06-2008, 12:16 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by kappysworld
Funny I just ran my Hypertech programer today wanting to change the gear setting as the manual says and it didnt come up as and option....Shift points, tire size, and sift firmness.... No gear change??? Kind of disapointing....Gonna call Hypertech on Monday as well as 5startuning.com see what I can do next.....
Didn't you read post #28? Check the first link...and read the explaination.

It is NOT possible to calibrate for gear changes on the SD or EX.

biz

Old 04-06-2008, 11:57 AM
kappysworld
Senior User
Originally Posted by biz4two

biz
I see said the blind man....

Thanks

Old 04-06-2008, 02:38 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by biz4two

biz
You must not have read the entire thread.

" What I have been finding is that Diesels its pretty much a given that you can not correct the speedo with out an add on of some sort. On gas vehicles I have been finding that it does not matter if its older , newer or even if its a Superduty or a Van. Its by the specific PCM or processor code that the vehicle is currently using. I just pulled up 4 different ; 2003 F250 V10 processor codes and 1 out of 3 of them the PCM controls the speedo. So to really know for sure is to look at the PCM code by vehicle to tell for sure. "

My SCT tuner does adjust for axle ratio and tire size. I know the trans was adjusted for the 33" tires on my truck because I could teel the truck shifted different and held the gear longer depending on throttle input. My speedo is spot on according to GPS BUT I don't know if thats because of the tuner or if the speedo was off from the factory with the stock 32" tires.

Hypertech, Superchips and Edge are junk tuners with nothing but canned tunes and few adjustable parameters.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:05 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by dkf
You must not have read the entire thread.

" What I have been finding is that Diesels its pretty much a given that you can not correct the speedo with out an add on of some sort. On gas vehicles I have been finding that it does not matter if its older , newer or even if its a Superduty or a Van. Its by the specific PCM or processor code that the vehicle is currently using. I just pulled up 4 different ; 2003 F250 V10 processor codes and 1 out of 3 of them the PCM controls the speedo. So to really know for sure is to look at the PCM code by vehicle to tell for sure. "
Why not post the PCM codes for all us FTE folks...so we all know what you know?

I'd like to see all the different PCM codes on our SD trucks...and the codes that do and do not allow for the GEAR change.

Thanks for sharing...

biz