General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

carl edwards goes from 1st to 21st in standings docked 100 points

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 08:15 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
carl edwards goes from 1st to 21st in standings docked 100 points

heavy penalties coming down already

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/standings?seriesId=2

Carl Edwards is no longer the Sprint Cup points leader after NASCAR docked him 100 points on Wednesday for a rules infraction. Owner Jack Roush and crew chief Bob Osborne also received harsh penalties

Old 03-06-2008, 08:25 AM
jimdandy
Posting Guru
Edwards dropped to 7th in standings, not 21st.

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/head...gas/index.html

Several received the penalty for the oil cover, especially in the Nationwide series.

According to R/F, the cover was in place for the majority of the race, and a bolt holding the cover on failed in the last part of the race. They are considering an appeal.

Robbie Gordon got his points back after appealing his infraction. His fine was increased, however, and his crew chief is still on suspension. jd

Old 03-06-2008, 08:49 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
weird espn has him 21st and truex jr 7th

Old 03-06-2008, 09:35 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I could understand the money penalty maybe,but I really doubt he had any advantage over any other car on the track without the oil cover on there at a down force track like las vegas is. The other infractions on other teams were from daytona,where less down force is a good thing,so they may have had a slight advantage. I really doubt nascar changes their minds on this one,and 100 points is a ton to lose,looks like nascar just took a ford points contender pretty much out of contention or if he does make it back he will have to work his butt off and have some good luck!!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:55 AM
tewferford
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The biggest thing he lost was the 10 points for winning the race.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:17 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
If there was anytime of the season for this to happen, this would be it. There is still alot of racing left and the way Edwards is running ( momentum ) he will be just fine.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:11 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Too bad because it was obviously an accident. With post race inspections, no one would do that on purpose.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Buckarcher
Posting Guru
Nascar is quickly losing this fan.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:58 PM
cpe41
Senior User
At this point I certainly feel it was unintentional, just an unfortunate circumstance. I think NASCAR wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to make an example of the issue. The fact that it involved a Ford team, Roush/Fenway in particular, just made it that much easier for them to slap on a really big penalty. Especially since their poster boys, Jeffy and Jimmie, aren't off to such a good start this year. (Can't have a Ford, especially a Roush Ford, making the Chevy and Toyota boys look bad...)

I suppose I could rethink my opinion if evidence to the contrary is presented, but I don't foresee it. It's the old "life sentence for jaywalking" routine, IMO.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:40 PM
dawgs150
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Buckarcher
Nascar is quickly losing this fan.
too late for me.... havent been a fan for awhile

Old 03-06-2008, 07:48 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SMIGGS
If there was anytime of the season for this to happen, this would be it. There is still alot of racing left and the way Edwards is running ( momentum ) he will be just fine.

It's obviously a conspiracy by GMNA$CAR to keep Ford oppressed!!!

Old 03-07-2008, 06:45 AM
bigblock_drock
Elder User
YES!!! as soon as ford get its momentum going... BAM!

Old 03-07-2008, 09:21 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tewferford
The biggest thing he lost was the 10 points for winning the race.
Not hardly. the 100 points he lost could mean he is not in the top 12 when the last 10 races start and only the top 12 have a chance at the championship. the last position in has been settled by less than a hundred points quite a few times since NASCAR started the new points system.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:32 AM
VC-Racing
Freshman User
NASCAR has always had it out for Roush and anyone affialiated with his orginazation . Jack Roush alway been a avid racer for many, many years. I remember when he used to big a huge drag racer, and then we went to Cup racing. He's alway been vocal about how Nascar has given the edge to other teams.
When they started with this COT crap,I was immeditaly turn off by NASCAR. To me it's like watching a bunch of "ricers" run around the track. Not only that, I enjoy watching the emotions of the racers, when things go right or wrong, I liked the old days when they used to cuss and fight among themselves, this thing about supressing contraversy is making racing boring.
I'm confident, Carl will bounce back from this , because its early in the season . He's a member of one of the best teams on the track that will back him and give him the support and help needed. Not to mention the "Cat in th Hat", He's gives a lot of hands on knowledge to each and every one of his teams. I think ,if i remember he oversees all the engine tuning on his cars.

They may even be a chance for Nascar to overturn thier decesion, they finally used some commonsense in the Robby Gordon fiasco, and give him is 100pts back.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:36 AM
jimdandy
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DOHCmarauder
It's obviously a conspiracy by GMNA$CAR to keep Ford oppressed!!!
Unless you are speaking "tongue in cheek" the same penalties were imposed on the following at Daytona in the Natonwide series for the same oil cover infraction:

#14 = Ford
# 0 = Chevy
#64 = Dodge
# 1 = Chevy
#77 = Chevy

The #64 was reviewed, and the penalty removed. The cover was intact with all bolts in place, but has a slight bend on one of the corners. jd