Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Stock Frame Drivability?

Old 03-04-2008, 06:47 PM
TheSovereign53
Senior User
TheSovereign53 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I really appreciate your post, bobby.

I am sure he will adapt well to the truck, he learned basically everything he could about engines at age 12, which isn't easy for him, being that living the nice modern TV-Computer lifestyle isn't conducive to that sort of knowledge. He's a real smart kid, and his driving style isn't causing as much concern as others.

Now, the truck will basically never get any freeway use, there's no reason to, and no need to.

But there's situations, like just the other week I was in LA on a road similar to the 4-laner running through our community, and I had to lock the brakes on my Honda HARD, and still had to take a hard left into the bike lane to avoid hitting the man who decided that stopping for no reason was a good idea. Of course, my Honda handled it like a champ, but how would one of these trucks do this? Would he run into issues going 40 miles per hour, and hitting the breaks hard, and turning off to the side of the road to avoid an accident?

Obviously, he wouldn't tailgate, he knows better, but what if he got t-boned? Wouldn't that essentially be certain death?

Old 03-04-2008, 06:54 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.
Sometimes you just have to trust in a higher power. He already knows not to tailgate, and with him knowing the limitations on the truck he will (hopefully) leave even more room between vehicles.
I try to get this concept through to my kids as well. In my 2005 F-150 I can drive it aggressively and hard. I know I have excellent stopping power and great handling. When I drive my 49 its a whole different ballgame. Even though I have great brakes and lots of power in the 49 I still drive it alot more carefully. My son is 13, his daily driver will probably be a 1967 Jeepster Commando. He too will have to learn to drive accordingly.

With some encouragement and good schooling on your part he will be fine (I know that won't keep you from worrying...thats what parents do....lol)

Bobby

Old 03-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by TheSovereign53
It's good to hear that you're okay after that whole deal!

Well, I figured, hey, there's no crumple zones, obviously, but the underlying truth is the whole darn truck is a crumple zone.

I'm surprised that your truck wasn't totalled.

I know you get a lot of points for hitting a vintage vehicle that fast and not totalling it. I think it's almost as many points as nailing a whole stoplight!

They must be winning.

Well, obviously highschool isn't the place to find the most talented drivers, but for the most part it's alright...Just the occasional 160 year old grandma on the wrong side of the road in her Ford Taurus.

I'll have to think about this one, you guys do make a lot of points, but I just don't know about the usability.
What MFlat is Stating here, is that Basically, If he Had been driving an Import, he'd be Dead right now if he hadn't been driving such a Solidly Built Classic Truck!

I was Plowed into by an "Olde Bat" driving an Import while making a left hand Turn in an Intersection when the "Olde Bat" driving same stated Import blew through a Red Light doing 45 Plus MPH & shoved my "Wee Beastie" back over 30' causing roughly $3,000 worth of damage to the Bumper, Fender, Vallance, Grille, etc., & The "Olde Bats" Import was totaled.
So what I'm stating is the same exact thing, if I'd been Driving Anything other than my Solidly Built Classic Mercury M-100 Truck, I'd Not be here typing this message to you, as I'd more than likely be Dead.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:04 PM
TheSovereign53
Senior User
Yes..Unfortunate isn't it. Worry worry.

Well, we've got 2 more years to see if he's still hell bent on old trucks. We'll see how it goes.

Thank you for all your help!

Also, now that I think more, we have done quite a lot of safety things. Gone is the in-cab tank, it's got an 8 gallon cell between the rails in the tail. Hopefully going to put 4 point harnesses in to prevent the steering column impailment, and the "WEE IM SUPERMAN" effect. That's pretty much all that can be done, unless I make it like Cher's Effie and put airbags in..but that's silly.

Anyone remember that truck?

Old 03-04-2008, 07:07 PM
TheSovereign53
Senior User
Originally Posted by Col Flashman
What MFlat is Stating here, is that Basically, If he Had been driving an Import, he'd be Dead right now if he hadn't been driving such a Solidly Built Classic Truck!

I was Plowed into by an "Olde Bat" driving an Import while making a left hand Turn in an Intersection when the "Olde Bat" driving same stated Import blew through a Red Light doing 45 Plus MPH & shoved my "Wee Beastie" back over 30' causing roughly $3,000 worth of damage to the Bumper, Fender, Vallance, Grille, etc., & The "Olde Bats" Import was totaled.
So what I'm stating is the same exact thing, if I'd been Driving Anything other than my Solidly Built Classic Mercury M-100 Truck, I'd Not be here typing this message to you, as I'd more than likely be Dead.
I don't mean to be discrediting your statement, but you have to be honest, an import has a HELL of a lot more safety features than an old truck.

ABS on pretty much all new vehicles, frontal impact airbags, side impact airbags, rollover curtain airbags, rollover protection incorporated into the unibody frame, crash protection pillars, etc.

Our trucks have...none of that, just crumply steel.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a very good reputation on FTE.
Sorry but w/ the Angle she Hit my truck @, if I'd been in an Import as well when the "Olde Bat" impacted, I'd be Very dead!
As she would have Plowed right on through, because of the Angle of the Collision & her Speed & continued Into the Passenger Compartment killing me w/ None of those modern safety features would have been effective in the Least!

I've made a study of NTSB Accident Reports because of my Training as a Volunteer Emergency 1st Reponse Medic & I specialze in Extrication of patients from Vehicles involved in Traffic Accidents & Car Stunts on Film Sets as a Set Medic usually brought in by the Stunt Gaffer in charge of the Film.
So I'm not just attempting to Blow Smoke Up someones **** hear.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:19 PM
TheSovereign53
Senior User
Those impact pillars still make a huge difference in terms of passenger cabin intrusion.

I understand though, sometimes the shear weight of the vehicle will save your life.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:24 PM
mtflat
Post Fiend
mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.
I know you'll do what you believe is right for your son, so I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other.

Here's a couple more tidbits to think on. I probably accept more risk than I should, but here's what I've found. btw, the accident was back in '02. Impact was hard enough that the glovebox emptied itself all over the seat beside me.

Brakes: I regularly make panic stops and make evasive maneuvers for deer around here that are bent on suicide. My system is the stock drum/drum setup it came with - only completely rebuilt with all new parts. I can lock up all 4 wheels on dry pavement. Haven't hit one yet! (thanks, God)

Gas tank: I still run the in-cab tank. In the accident above not a drop spilled. It would have been more at risk for rupture back between the frame rails which bent some.

Safety features: The stock seat absorbed all the impact. I lightly bumped my head on the rear window, but didn't suffer any whiplash.
I have 3 point seatbelts installed in the truck but I wasn't wearing them that day. I had a deathgrip on the steering wheel as it went spinning into the ditch.

Modern cars have many more safety features, BUT it's because cars are so much more lightly built. If they didn't have the gizmo's even a low speed crash would total the car and injure the occupants. I honestly believe its a toss-up. - Tim

Old 03-04-2008, 07:31 PM
TheSovereign53
Senior User
So the brakes seem to be adequate, I wouldn't mind throwing discs on the front, that would at least make it on par with 21st century production cars.

I've got a nice plastique racing cell, it will flex a good deal before cracking. It's got the sponge to hold fuel in better as well.

I do not know if I agree with cars being more lightly built, they do have a good deal more upper frame work than...no frame at all.

The Crown Vic is the last real American car, anyone know if it's got any upper frame structure?

Old 03-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
The "Wee Beastie" has all original Safety Features as well, Drum/Drum totally rebuilt, Copper type Hwy/Offroad L/T tires, Lap Belt, etc., she panic & normal stops just fine.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:04 PM
needhelp49
Elder User
needhelp49 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
my 67 mustang had drum drum and i beat that thing hard and stoping was never a big concern i thought discs were as much for heat disapation as much as stoping power my fil built a 550+hp big block camero and has no prob running the factory drums but the disc conversion isnt that pricy so go for it and ice a frozzen lake is the best place to learn what loseing control and raining her back in is really like and for the most part safe

Old 03-04-2008, 08:16 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold55 f350 is a splendid one to behold
im afraid i'd have to disagree with an import being safer . i once got hit , t-boned in a 64 f250 i had , by a kid street racing his honda . well long story short he bent the frame and really tore up the right side of my truck , but like bobby i drove mine home . he and his passenger went to the hospital in bad shape and there wasnt enough left of the accord to recycle for a 16 oz. bean can . im with the others on him learning to " drive " / race . i was racing at the age of 10 in carts etc. and eventually dirt tracking and drag racing . i think despite my age it made me a better , safer driver as i had more of an understanding of what i and the vehicles were and were not capable of . that doesn't meen however i didn't still do stupid crap .......

Old 03-04-2008, 09:17 PM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
The typical defensive driving training is indeed usually lacking, but more and more there are "accident avoidance" schools being given. Our autocross club usually volunteers to provide proctors at one or two a year. They concentrate on things like panic stops and how stopping distance can be reduced and control maintained by threshhold braking rather than locking the wheels, avoidance maneuvering (A plastic garbage can is unexpectedly tossed out in front of the car), returning the car to the pavement when a wheel drops off onto the shoulder without overcorrecting, and a run in a specially rigged car with hydraulic lift outriggers and bald tires on wet pavement.
Obviously as national level autocross racers ourselves (the AX in my user name) I whole heartedly agree that autocross is an excellent way to learn car control and awareness of your surroundings. I drove for 32 years before taking up AX and thought I was a pretty good driver, but the first couple runs on an AX course proved I had a lot to learn. I credit our training with keeping us out of several potential accidents, and in learning the only place fast driving belongs is on a race course.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:41 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.
AX,

The accident training you describe would be awesome and very beneficial, especailly the hands on stuff. I would very interested to see how I did in a course as you describe. I think it would be very telling and quite an eye opener.

Its a shame that none of it is taught in your standard, so called "defensive driving" courses. My opinion of the standard "defensive driving" courses is that they are a way for companies with large fleets to CYA (cover their a**) and make a showing to their insurance companies that they are proactive. The classes are typically 8 hours (long, grueling, monotonous hours) of lectures...........

........oops...sorry, I'll get off my soapbox

As I've said, I'm a big fan of taking the truck and the kid out in a controled area and thrashing on it for awhile to get a good feel for it and how it acts. Like anything, to be good at something it takes practice

Bobby

Old 03-04-2008, 10:02 PM
eman92082
Posting Guru
eman92082 has a great reputation on FTE.eman92082 has a great reputation on FTE.eman92082 has a great reputation on FTE.eman92082 has a great reputation on FTE.eman92082 has a great reputation on FTE.eman92082 has a great reputation on FTE.
I put both of my "kids" into performance muscle-car vehicles although they were fairly tame. We went out to a place where they could see what the car would do so they'd get it, and not try to discover it in public. We wouldn't let them have friends in the car for 6 months - Pissed them off - Oh Well...... Not gonna kill someone elses kid.......

If you have a good relationship with your kids, they generally come to understand what right and wrong is. They don't always abide by it, but you do your best. It's all you can do.

I had two words of wisdom for my kids.

1) Mom and I love you no matter what - forever
2) Don't do stupid Sh**

Beyond that, you just have to let 'em go and when she drove away in that '67 Fastback, I thought I'd have a heart attack. Hey - She's still around and gave me a Grandaughter .......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stock Frame Drivability?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.