Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Another Catalytic Converter question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 05:52 PM
RockyMtnRanger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Catalytic Converter question

Ok I just got done moving to a non-inspection county in Washington State. Already got my Washington plates etc. I know that no one will probably condone my wishes due to the Federal Catalytic Converter Police, but what would stop me from removing the catalytic converter (other than illegal to do, so please no flames )? I have a 4" turbo back that is straight piped other than that darn CC. I guess the better question would be: What would constitute an inspection that could get me in trouble (by who??) for not having a CC??? Thanks for any responses.

Marty

Old 03-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Most states will only do a visual inspection for the kitty...you can just gut it out and run the strait pipe through the center of it.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:17 PM
RockyMtnRanger
Senior User
Yea that's all they did in Colorado Springs, was a visual. Since there is no inspection in my current location, I was just wondering if I'm overlooking anything that could get me in trouble. Either way that I do it, I'll still have to cut it out and re-weld it. Your suggestion probably would be the best of both worlds. Of course I'm always looking for the easiest way to do things

Old 03-03-2008, 08:05 PM
cangim
Postmaster
I am in the same boat, previous county actually did inspections and I had to put mine back in, minus the actual guts, but now I have a 4" turbo back. I still have the shell of the Cat just incase I move somewhere that gives me grief, if you have to cut and reweld, I'd say, put a 4" pipe through the center and reweld the shell around it, this way there will be no worries if you ever move again to a place that does inspections.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:12 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I didn't think the early 99's came with a cat unless it was a CA truck. Am I wrong on this? If not all 99's came with one, then how would the inspection station know?

Where I live they don't even look under the truck.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:21 PM
cangim
Postmaster
I don't know, but the inspection guy that failed me, looked at the build date and then some table base and said he could continue due to there not being a CAT in place.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:55 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by cangim
I don't know, but the inspection guy that failed me, looked at the build date and then some table base and said he could continue due to there not being a CAT in place.
I'm assuming they crawl under the truck and look so to speak, not hook something to the tail pipe? That's good information to have since this kind of stuff has a way of spreading.

Sounds like if you want it gone, then Lisa has the right idea.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:42 PM
cangim
Postmaster
No they just have a big mirror on the end of a broom stick. It is strictly a visual inspection. As long as you still pass for opacity, you are good to go. Where I was at you were allowed upto 40% opacity. With the chip turned down, I barely pegged the meter to 2%, so the second year tested I left the chip setting alone, 4.2% IIRC. So basically if you don't have diesel running out the tail pipe, you should pass. Granted you are supposed to do a snap throttle test like 6 times. I feather into it, didn't just flat floor until the RPMs come up. The other thing is he stated to go to 2600 rpm or so. I actually would let off as soon as it started to get close to 2000 rpm, enough inetia created it carried it enough. The only measurement comes from the sniffer at the tail pipe. No other connection made to the truck.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:56 PM
RockyMtnRanger
Senior User
Thanks for all of the responses. When I had the 4" put in, the shop cut the ends of the CC to where it was a 4" diameter. That way there was no need for a reducer. He did a good job, but since there is no safety or emission testing in my county, I think I'll cut it off, gut it, then weld it back on. I suppose I could just leave it off until I move to a place that does inspections. I was just worried that there was a circumstance that would get me in trouble that was not related to an inspection. I can't think of any off hand, so was wondering if anyone else could think of anything that I was overlooking.

Marty

Old 03-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by F350-6
I didn't think the early 99's came with a cat unless it was a CA truck. Am I wrong on this? If not all 99's came with one, then how would the inspection station know?
Actually, I have a '99 Colorado truck, and it came with a cat. Last time I got emissions, I watched the lady and she actually pulled the VIN to see where the truck came from to see if it came with a cat or not, and then crawled under the truck to see if it was there.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:31 PM
RockyMtnRanger
Senior User
Originally Posted by Smokin'
Actually, I have a '99 Colorado truck, and it came with a cat. Last time I got emissions, I watched the lady and she actually pulled the VIN to see where the truck came from to see if it came with a cat or not, and then crawled under the truck to see if it was there.
Hey girl how are you doing?? I haven't been on here a lot lately (retired, moving and buying a house). Can you believe that I had to move from our beautiful state? The wife is getting some specialized training up here that will greatly help here career. Now that she is supporting my fat a**, we'll need the extra money. Going from an average of 320 days of sunshine to about the same amount of cloudiness is a shock. One thing though.... our trucks absolutely love the low altitude. Along with the excess air and the DP chip, I'll be needing new tires shortly Hope things are going well for you. If everything goes right I'll be returning to the Springs area in 3-5 years. Take care and cya later.....

Marty

Old 03-04-2008, 02:57 PM
8tsixt
Elder User
My 2000 doesnt have a cat from the factory. It was sold in New mexico though and has been registered in California for many years.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by RockyMtnRanger
Hey girl how are you doing?? I haven't been on here a lot lately (retired, moving and buying a house). Can you believe that I had to move from our beautiful state?

Marty
I understand! I've had a lot going on lately too. Washington huh? How do you like it so far?

Not up to much, just bought a house and working up the plans to build a garage for the beast.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:42 PM
RockyMtnRanger
Senior User
Originally Posted by Smokin'
I understand! I've had a lot going on lately too. Washington huh? How do you like it so far?

Not up to much, just bought a house and working up the plans to build a garage for the beast.
So far the winter is very mild compared to Colorado. No snow to speak of. As a matter of fact there has not been a night that was below freezing. Nights are in the very high 30's with most being in the low 40's. If it stays like this, I'll like the winters. I also will be building a garage. It'll be fun to actually get to design one that has everything I want.... take care!!

Marty

Old 03-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Mike Norwood
Elder User

I am sooo glad that I do not have to mess with inspections or anything like that where I live. You people that have to mess with it have my sympathy.

Quick Reply: Another Catalytic Converter question