Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wander, suspension, beat the dead horse.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 01:32 PM
HowieE
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Landyot Radius Rods
Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar
Firestone Airbags
2006 ATC Custom Trailer w/Hensley Arrow Hitch

Of these 4 items how would you rate each as to it's contirbution towards a stable ride towing and the first 3 as to none towing?

Old 03-08-2008, 02:32 PM
bnuvp
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
V code and B code springs are front and rear Ford OEM leaf springs found on the F250. The coding (in this case V and B) signify what rating the springs are.

The Excursions came with crappy springs from the factory. The consensus is, Ford did so to appeal to soccer mom's, whom they thought would be their target customer. The Excursion springs were meant to offer a softer ride, unfortunately this also created what us Excursion owners call "Steering wander."

The first way is to remove the Excursions OEM springs, replacing them with the V/B codes found on the F250 (refer to parts list in my old post, quoted above), which removes the offending spring, which causes the problem.

The tapered blocks can be added when the spring swap is done. Some Excursion owners didn't add the block when swapping the springs and they discovered their Excursion sat ever so slightly higher in the front.

When the blocks are added, replacing the OEM blocks which are smaller, the increased size of the tapered block will now give an Excursion a very slight rake, which is more visually appealing to most people.

Stewart
What is the cost of doing this fix? My wife has lost her nerve driving our EX due to the wander issue that probably caused her to spin out on some ice.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:06 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by bnuvp
What is the cost of doing this fix? My wife has lost her nerve driving our EX due to the wander issue that probably caused her to spin out on some ice.
Just FYU, I've posted this many times on the forum, and quite a bit of information regarding the wander that plagues these big beasties is available by using the search button. But to answer your question, it cost me $639.10 for the V/B code springs and tapered blocks. I installed them myself, so there were no labor charges.

I also added new Bilstein shocks and a Hellwig rear sway bar when I did the springs.

I do have to ask though, how does your Ex handle when it's on dry pavement?

How many miles are on your Excursion?

I ask because, while the OEM springs on the Excursions are too soft, which creates the problem, the wander can be exacerbated by worn ball joints, steering box problems, or a few other items.

I bring that up because you asked about the spring upgrade, contributing the common wander problem to the spin-out on the ice. Who knows, you may not have much of a problem and your tires may have contributed more to the spin out than the wander issue.

What I'm getting at is, while it was easy for me to deduce my problems were only related to the OEM springs, if I were you, I would make sure there were no other contributing factors involved with the problems you are experiencing.

Check this thread out. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/604469-steering-wander-improvements.html?highlight=ball After reading it, do a search by user name and type in X_Hemi_Guy. That's Joe and he's got a ton of documentation regarding suspension problems and upgrades as it relates to the daily driving of the Excursion as well as towing heavy loads with the Ex.

My posts pretty much document only the spring issues the Ex have, Joe's does a great job of looking at other aspects. His posts and mine usually one-two punch the problem.

Stewart

EDIT: You don't even have to do a search. I forgot Joe posted in this thread already. Just scroll up to post number 8 and you'll get some great info.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:44 PM
bnuvp
Senior User
Truck has 118K, stockexcept for replaced ball joints, calipers, rotors and various bushings. The ball joints and tires are good and the alingment is within Ford specs. We did find a bad RF wheel bearing after the accident which probably contributed. The wheel had a lot of play in it. I'm leaning towards a steering box problems since it seems to come and go, especially on cold days.

On dry (or not) roads the steering becomes stiff. It will vear left or right with the slightest steering input. I've found that I'm best to keep my hands off the steering wheel and it goes straight, though that can lead to other obvious problems. Lately it has been much better. I did bring my tire pressure up to 60 pounds and replaced the serpentine belt. I was interested in the alignment specs someone mentioned. I don't know much about these specs, I would like to pass that info along to the guy who does that work for me.
Thanks.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:52 PM
VR6Nutt
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a quick question to tag on the end of this thread as I have similar issues with my Ex. 7.3. Are the ford part numbers stamped on the springs themselves? Because I found a used set from a F250 for sale. Talked to lister and he wasnt very coherent in answering my questions. So I'd like to make sure the parts are correct when I go have a look. TIA!

Old 03-27-2008, 06:16 PM
CanadianSmokie
Elder User
Bob, tell your alignment guy to order you a set of camber/castor adjustable shims. set them to the most positive castor setting while still maintaining proper camber. On mine it increased it by 2% positive which made a huge difference in the stability and 'weight' of the steering wheel at speed.

Also, from how you described your steering inputs, it sounds like your steering box is overtightened causing it to bind. But, then again, maybe its just your steering is so close to the lower spec for castor, you're essentially driving a shopping cart...

Old 03-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Stewey
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to second what Smokie said. I just had all the ball joints replaced and installed Moog caster/camber shims. By far, this is one of the best mods I've done. My Ex just keeps getting more fun to drive.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:51 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadianSmokie
The castor settings on the X's are set up like shopping carts making corrections very twitchy. Buy a set of adjustable castor/camber shims and rake it out as much as you can (typically 2 degrees or so) makes a big difference in steering weight and highway tractability.

This along with the stiffer springs and a steering box adjustment should make your X a true pleasure to drive.
funny to look back at the threads where everybody is still guessing at how to cure wander and see that the solution was know st the time by some but the popular notion was “weak springs”.

glad FTE was able to make it out of the dark ages.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:56 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Dang this is an oldie

Old 09-17-2018, 12:42 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
funny to look back at the threads where everybody is still guessing at how to cure wander and see that the solution was know st the time by some but the popular notion was “weak springs”.

glad FTE was able to make it out of the dark ages.
What's funnier is how ALL the Excursion Internet forums basically propagated the same "logical deduction" for many, many, MANY years and how long it took before someone, in this case fastang50, who had previously bought into the "group think" to say "hang on a sec, time out, lets look at this from a castor stand point" which got us started down the enlightened pathway!

Stewart

Old 09-17-2018, 12:43 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
Dang this is an oldie
Please show your ID at the entrance so we know you're not an impostor!

Stewart

Old 09-17-2018, 01:13 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
What's funnier is how ALL the Excursion Internet forums basically propagated the same "logical deduction" for many, many, MANY years and how long it took before someone, in this case fastang50, who had previously bought into the "group think" to say "hang on a sec, time out, lets look at this from a castor stand point" which got us started down the enlightened pathway!

Stewart

I can think of at least one forum that would have know better,

Old 09-17-2018, 04:26 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
I can think of at least one forum that would have know better,
Yes, but that aint an Excursion forum. I was careful not to generalize.

Stewart