General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

How should i go about doing this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 01:01 AM
godblessmud
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How should i go about doing this?

Long story short, myself and 2 friends are going to move to my friends grandpas ranch in eastern WA this summer. Its 15 miles outside of the nearest "town" (which consists of...a general store, a bar, and a church) We are going to be working for the Forest Service doing land maintenence (clearing trails/brush to prevent fires). Anyways because we are all underage, the forest service cannot provide us with guns as they normally would (for protection against whatever animals/deranged individuals we might run across) But the ranger advised us to bring some if we could...

So im turnin 17 in march here, so i cant buy a rifle/shotgun on my own. Im thinking that a Remington 12 guage shotgun would do me good since i have a ton of experience with them (they what we use on farm), and the ability to shoot buckshot OR slugshot is a nice choice to have. Anyways, how would be best to go about aquiring such a weapon? I might be able to borrow/buy one from my boss on the farm (who might as well be my dad)....Ive got a gun on my birthday list for my parents but idno how well that will turn out...

Any thoughts/ideas? I was talking about the laws with a friend of mine who is a cop, and he seemed to think that it was illegal to BUY a rifle under the age of 18, but to possess one that has been given to you is fine. can anyone confirm this? Also, does anyone know if i need a permit to carry the gun in my truck?
Around here we dont worry about many of these laws and such, but between here and where we are moving is alot of big cities where officers might not be so willing to turn a blind eye...

Old 02-29-2008, 04:49 AM
phil6608
Post Fiend
You should not need a permit to carry a gun in the car/truck.
It must be in plane view ,unloaded and any and all ammunition should be in the trunk or bed of vehicle.
Not sure about buying a rifle under 18. But they do a background check on everybody.

We got my father a 22 rifle for Xmas and it took my sister 4 hours to pic it up.
Hand guns have a 5 day waiting period.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:50 AM
tewferford
Post Fiend
It would be easier to mail it to the final destination and only deal with one set of state laws.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:01 AM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,596 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Very carefully. The technicalities of possession etc can quickly earn you real trouble. The state usually has some info on a web site. The NRA can research if you are a member. Local sheriff might be helpful. You need to confirm with the locals in a specific manner, detailing what you are doing.

Good luck.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:20 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by phil6608
Hand guns have a 5 day waiting period.
Not for me.

In Indiana, I can walk out the door of a gun store with a purchased handgun the same day because I have a carry permit and am old enough. But, one cannot get a carry permit in IN until he/she is 18, and cannot buy a handgun until he/she is 21.

This is the problem with asking for legal advice on a forum like this. The OP is asking about state gun laws in Washington, while the person I quoted above was giving advice based on gun laws in Delaware.

You could check the NRA's website as they have a central location for linking to the various state codes dealing with gun laws (I think).

Jason

Old 02-29-2008, 09:10 AM
phil6608
Post Fiend
I thought the Federal 5 day law was for all over?

You with a permit to carry is a totally different situation...lol Good for you by the way!!

Old 02-29-2008, 10:48 AM
shawntxt
Senior User
I DONT HAVE A CC PERMIT BUT WITH A DRIVERS LICENSE i can walk into any gun store here in az and walk out with an ar 15 or ak 47 in about 15min.i can also carry my glock 17 on my hip anytime i want as long as it is not consealed.god i love this state

Old 02-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Terms of employment may sway things in your favor.

Personally, if I were going to attempt anything like that job I'd want a Paraordinance doublestack .45 in an uncle Mike shoulder holster.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:04 PM
bczolone
Elder User
First off Washington State laws are different; for example they are stricter in Seattle or that county, however where you may be it may be much different. Being under 18 you legally must have written permission to have the gun in possesion and must have an adult over 21 present should you choose to use such weapon. Lastly will you be employed by the USFS?...or working for a sub contractor? That will shift the liablility. I can assure you without proper documented training and certification the USFS is not going to issue weapons or sanction that you carry such. Be very wary.

That said I agree that I would want some sort of side arm to carry in wild and remote areas.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:55 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Man Im always amazed when i hear how the gun laws are down in the states compared to up here! They are so much stricter up here.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:01 PM
caseys
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
The following quotes in brackets are from godblessmud's initial posting in this thread:

[“We are going to be working for the Forest Service doing land maintenence (clearing trails/brush to prevent fires). Anyways because we are all underage, the forest service cannot provide us with guns as they normally would (for protection against whatever animals/deranged individuals we might run across)”]

Forest Service “youth” jobs are supervised by an adult who will be there to legally and responsibly protect you on the job.

[“But the ranger advised us to bring some if we could...”]

I doubt that a Forest Service Ranger would suggest a underage person could bring a weapon to a Forest Service job...does not make sense they would risk losing their jobs.

[“So im turnin 17 in march here, so i cant buy a rifle/shotgun on my own.”]

True, you can not.

[“Im thinking that a Remington 12 guage shotgun would do me good since i have a ton of experience with them (they what we use on farm), and the ability to shoot buckshot OR slugshot is a nice choice to have.”]

Define what “tons of experience” means at your age.

[“Anyways, how would be best to go about aquiring such a weapon?”]

You do not until you are old enough to legally do so.

[“Ive got a gun on my birthday list for my parents but idno how well that will turn out...”]

Sounds like your parents do not think it is a good idea to give you a gun for your birthday.

[“Any thoughts/ideas? I was talking about the laws with a friend of mine who is a cop, and he seemed to think that it was illegal to BUY a rifle under the age of 18, but to possess one that has been given to you is fine. can anyone confirm this?”]

Thinking is different than knowing. One thought is to do some “homework”. Here are some links to the RCW where you will find the answers to your questions:

RCW 9.41.040
Unlawful possession of firearms — Ownership, possession by certain persons — Penalties.

RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.

RCW 9.41.080
Delivery to ineligible persons.

RCW 9.41.070
Concealed pistol license — Application

[“Also, does anyone know if i need a permit to carry the gun in my truck?”]

You are too young for a permit to carry in your truck. Please read the following carefully:

RCW 46.20.265
Juvenile driving privileges

RCW 9.41.040
Unlawful possession of firearms — Ownership, possession by certain persons — Penalties.

[“Around here we dont worry about many of these laws and such, but between here and where we are moving is alot of big cities where officers might not be so willing to turn a blind eye...”]

...and for good reason keeping people safe from irresponsible possession and use of a deadly weapon.

Each state in this country has different laws regarding the use and possession of weapons. You will be best served by “studying” and understanding the laws of the State of Washington since these are the laws that pertain to you and your questions.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:38 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by preppypyro
Man Im always amazed when i hear how the gun laws are down in the states compared to up here! They are so much stricter up here.
Are they more strict than IL's laws?

Old 03-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My son went from the police academy to work for the sheriff's dept. He was twenty at the time and I had to sign for him to buy his gun.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:52 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jake00
Are they more strict than IL's laws?
Believe it or not, yes.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:26 AM
whitebenz
Posting Guru
I worked for the Forest Service in the early 90's untill I went out on the buy out program. We were not allowed to cary any guns at that time UNLESS you had been certified by the U.S.F.S. period. That was not an easy thing to do, you basically only did this if you were going into U.S.F.S. law enforcment. On the lines, Or clearing firelines, as that sounds like what you will be doing, you don't want any one to have a weapon as if you go off the line to use the restroom you may be shot by some trigger happy idiot thinking you are a cat or bear. You don't want to play with those rules dude, they are federal and any thing federal cannot be expunged and sticks with you forever. Use your brain and if your superviser thinks it is a good idea, your both idiots. I can make some calls and find out the legality of your intended actions if you need. Just because your smart enough to use the weapon doesn't mean your smartenough not to use it. Think very carefully about it.

Quick Reply: How should i go about doing this?