1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

shop plans?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Gary E
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
OK, have done some more reasearch/thinking. Couldn't find any local lumber places with kits but did some estimating and it looks like a comparable wood building will cost 25% more, or in the neighbohrhood of an extra 10k. Also looks like it is cheaper to make the shop bigger and put the parking inside than to build a lean too off of the side. This also gets me a bigger shop to begin with and down the road if I need more space I can add the lean too. So I am now considering a 40x40 or perhaps a 50x50.

I have made a floorpan of sorts that can apply to both the 40x40 and 50x50 The 50x50 looks a little big and I am worried the 40x40 may be a little small.
I have it split up into 5 sections

Welding/cutting/work area, Includes welding table, workbenchs, wall tools, sink, dishwasher (for parts cleaner)

Paint Booth/Clean room area, who knows when/if I will get around to it but always thought it would be nice to have a place to paint cars and parts and perhaps another parking spot for a finished project (as if) could also rent out the booth for spare $$

Work area, the place the project truck sits and is worked on.

Lift area, will include a two post lift, for limited downtime projects

Parking area, for tractor, camper future travel trailer etc.

so the first 4 areas would be 15x20 for the 40x40 and 20x25 with a 50x50

the parking area will be 10xhowever long the building is.

What do you guys think?

Old 05-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great bunch of ideas guys but Gary, you gotta check this place out.

The Garage - The Garage Journal Board

You'll get lost in there for days like I did.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:25 PM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have found paint booths as cheap as $300-400. Since there's always "new" regulations, a lot of times, companies have to upgrade, and you can buy their old booths for next to nothing. No company will buy them, because they need to upgrade, too, but for a hobbyist, they can be ideal, AND a deal!

R

Old 07-09-2008, 06:32 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
With green almost done, and the 56 , 55 and 54 to play with, I need more space. So I've been looking for property where I can put up a decent sized metal building... MAN have prices gone crazy..

concrete near Austin is $8-12/sqft, and the building is $12-18k for 30x50.

so you're at 30k for a garage..
I just talked to one of the building companies, that is quoting $12-14/sqft for the metal BUILDING alone, no insulation, doors, delivery,

I was trying to go for 40x60, then one property made sense at 30x60..

now I think we've found a property with a newish, insulated, 14ft ceiling, 30x40. (power & water already present). and land room should I ever run into a bundle of spare money to extend..

Sam

Old 07-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Gary E
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I am singing the blues here too. I finally decided to pull the trigger and called up the metal supplier I had previously picked, the kit for a 40x50x16 with 4 roll up doors a man door went from $13538 too $16900 in just two months. So now I am considering what I really need again, crazy the price volitility we are seeing is so awful. Geesh maybe I won't be able to buy bread next year that will be $100 a loaf.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:49 PM
rcav8or
The bread itself won't be $100 a loaf......but the metal tie will be $80!!!

Yeah, the metal is what's driving the cost of them up. I'm lucky I bought mine when I did - 28 X 40, cost me $30,000, everything - concrete, insulation (I installed it), OSB walls (again, my labor), and all the plumbing, electrical, etc. Sure glad I bought wire when I did! that's gone up tremendously as well! But, if you don't buy now, it will only go up, when you look again.

You might consider looking at a traditional built-up roof - mine would have been more expensive then, but might be cheaper than steel now?? Just a thought...

R

Old 07-09-2008, 07:58 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,113 Likes on 820 Posts
I'm in the middle of two building projects. I'm having a building built for my business, which is no big deal, well it is but with some money I inherited I was able to put a down payment on a building and the mortgage isn't much more than what I'm currently paying for rent, so we are able to swing it. After we starting working with the developer the village we're end started imposing a bunch of restrictions and impact fees that raised the price of the building.

Then one of the farm buildings, a steel pole building, collapsed from the the weight of snow just before last Christmas. The insurance company didn't want to pay for it but for some reason they relented and paid 70% because the building was over 30 years old. Great! but a new replacement building is $44K, we're short about $7K plus extra cement work, plus my wife wants a fancier building than was up so more money. The builder informed us we should to sign the contract by last month because their price for the steel was going up another $500. Then the other day as the guys were drilling holes for the poles and running into some big rocks. The salesman informed me they were going to charge an additional $750 because it's taking longer than expected to drill the holes.

With building these two projects it may sound like I'm rolling in the dough but believe me, I'm not. I'll be lucky if I make through these two project. On top of all this the economy has to take a dump right after we signed all of the papers. It just never ends!

Old 07-09-2008, 07:58 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
my friend's dad went with a local garage builder that made it out of 2x6 construction and wood paneling on the exterior. He then went in and wired it himself, insulated it, and bought the cheap metal paneling that they sell at Menards.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:03 PM
rcav8or
$750 extra for the holes???? The company that did mine, spent almost a day, digging ONE hole - no extra charge. They knew that there was an old block building there originally, and that the basement and some of the walls were buried there. But the rest of the holes went just fine. Can't believe they charged extra - that's business...

R

Old 07-09-2008, 08:10 PM
LiftTech
Senior User
One more tip I didn't see mentioned- door size. Bigger is better. The shop I have was built before we moved in, and the door is too narrow to fit my dually through. Even though I have a nice shop, I'm forced to work on the truck either under the carport or outside in front of the shop. Definitely go big with the door.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:24 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,113 Likes on 820 Posts
Yeah Roger, you'd think they have it figured into every job and kind of average it out between jobs but I guess this company doesn't do it. This company is well known and were the only one of two that showed any interest in doing a small building like ours. All the other one didn't want to waste their time on our building, they build 100'X300' milking parlors for the big operations.

My business is going to have two 14' X 12 doors, plenty big for what I need. It's going to be sweet once it's built.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:30 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by LiftTech
One more tip I didn't see mentioned- door size. Bigger is better. The shop I have was built before we moved in, and the door is too narrow to fit my dually through. Even though I have a nice shop, I'm forced to work on the truck either under the carport or outside in front of the shop. Definitely go big with the door.
I didn't measure the door on this garage, but the PO has a dually he drove in last night while we were there..

Sam

Old 07-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by rcav8or
starting with the overhead radiant tube heater being too low, R
Mine where too,….until the chain hoist got wrapped around it,…… I have overhead heaters now!

Old 07-09-2008, 09:33 PM
birdman1
Elder User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm in the same boat, wanting to put up a building. The metal ones are not so pretty but the guys will put them up in a day or two. A friend told me that when the metal guys leave is when you go to work, because you can't hang anything on the walls(one thickness of metal) or hang shelves. You need to strip it out with studs and then sheath it with plywood, OSB, or something to attach shelf brackets, stuff holders and such. It would be great to have that shop in in one day though, man that would be nice. They offer the building with concrete floor or you pour to specs. then call them for building.
Best of luck with whatever you put over the toys. I'd settle for most anything out of the rain, right now.
later, Mike

Old 07-09-2008, 09:42 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

I HATE stuff on the wall..

Sam

Quick Reply: shop plans?