FuelmisterII????

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:31 AM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TchTchr
I have heard that argument and don't know the answer.
My point of view is that the risks of running a VO/#2, or what ever else you choose to blend with VO, are great enough that a careful cost/benefit analysis would show it isn't worth it.

I would consider straight VO with a proper truck mod or making BioD but blending I will not do.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Gun-Driver
Senior User
Originally Posted by guthrie&co
I am looking and thinking very hard about getting this system. What do you guys think about it and will it sustain a need or around 40 gallons a week max? Usually I will use less than that. I am open to hear all of your suggestions
Getting back to the original question. My buddy that started making Bio the same time I did went for the fuelmeister, I went with the hot water tank method. The fuelmeister in my opinion is nothing but a $2,900 mixer the same thing you can do with a hot water tank. In fact you still have to have a separate vessel to heat the oil in before you put it in the fuelmiester.
The only benefit to the fuelmeister is that it mixes the methanol and lye for you, but you still have to measure and pour in the lye and pump in the methanol.<O</O
The other reason I went the other way is I don't water wash, he does. I also use my cooker to extract the methanol from my glycerol, he doesn't. So he ends up using about 50-60% more methanol than I do over the course of time.<O</O

In my opinion its way over priced for what you get...
<O</O
cone tank w/ stand...............................$200.00<O</O
clear water pump..................................$25.00 harbor freight same pump<O</O
assorted brass valves............................$50.00<O</O
hose and clamps, fittings........................$40.00<O</O
hand pump for methanol.........................$40.00<O</O
starter test kit......................................$20.00<O: p</O
Timer .................................................. $10.00<O</O
!/4" clear tube/toilet bulb flush assembly.....$25.00 (Water wash system)<O</O

That’s about it I may have missed some other nickel/dime things but that’s it. If you subtract the $200.00 tank and replace it on the list with a free old hot water tank that’s about what I have into my set up.<O</O

In my opinion it's a rip off!!!<O</O

Old 03-01-2008, 09:47 PM
nelstone74
Senior User
The fuelmeister in my opinion is nothing but a $2,900 mixer the same thing you can do with a hot water tank. In fact you still have to have a separate vessel to heat the oil in before you put it in the fuelmiester.
The only benefit to the fuelmeister is that it mixes the methanol and lye for you, but you still have to measure and pour in the lye and pump in the methanol.
I would agree I don't have my own but I have done alot of reseach, starting with the prebuilt kits and settled on building my own (now I just have to do it) Here is a link of one design but google around a little and you will see many different designs. Most of the time DIY are called appleseed processors search that.<O</O

http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/photos/processors/40gallon01/beingsold/

Old 03-01-2008, 10:22 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am actually one of the few that has and still does both. I have 2 93 Dodge Cummins, 1 84 and 1 88 Ford IDI, and 2 2001 Powerstrokes. I mix 20-25% diesel with my Veggie oil and run it straight in the Dodge trucks, one tank system. It will crank on it in the coldest of the Arkansas winters, I have started them at 20 degrees. Since my Fords came with two tanks, I run veggie in one tank and no 2 in the other with only a heated fuel filter under the hood. I only run bio in my PowerStrokes, but I am going to add a Heated fuel filter to them and try them on veggie. If you use only good veggie, non hydrogenated and no animal fats. I like the winter time best for it because I can look at the restaraunts grease and tell whether its any good or not, if is not, it will be hard, or at least jelly. It will stay mixed, period. I don't like bio because of the health risks involved with handling methanol. It can be absorbed through the skin and cause blindness. I have ran enough straight unheated veggie in my Dodges I could buy a Brand new engine for both with the savings. I have decided to be the guinea pig and so far have had NO issues. I have been running veggie for about a year and a half or so, and I do a lot of riding. You can say what you want to, but thats just my 2 cents worth.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:09 PM
secondarychaos
Posting Guru
Well, One thing to keep in mind is you can find these things used for a reasonable price, like my father in law just got one for $900 bucks. came with a separate washing tank, and a 55gal drum of methanol. It's really nice too,
Keep in mind, when you buy one of these things, you are also paying for labor. Im in the process of building my own processor, and it's a decent amount of work. dont let anyone fool you into thinking that its super-easy.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Pocketrocketz1
Freshman User
Newbie here. Looking for clarification. I'd like to start making my own fuel. It's a bit difficult to keep it all straight. This is what i think I know from what I've read at fuel processing sites.

* WVO is Waste Veg., SVO is ?, VO is Veg. Oil. WVO, SVO and VO can be run straight through a running diesel engine without being processed, but the motor must be running and warm?

* If you want to run straight VO in your diesel full time, it needs to be processed with methonol. Is this considered BioDiesel? If I buy brand new cooking oil or find a waste oil supply, does one gallon of veg. oil make one gallon of usable fuel? I've heard that in some cases, processing is less then $2.00/gallon. Is it worth all of the trouble?

* Are there two tank systems that you can buy for all existing diesel vehicles? I'm looking to purchase a Diesel Excursion and make a little bit of my own fuel. What sort of mods will I have to purchase for the vehicle to do this?

Where would be the best site to read about my options because the sites I find want to sell me a kit, but they don't explain the process.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:06 PM
cangim
Postmaster
This was the same question I had as well, Gun-Driver, do you have more information on the one that you are building?

Old 03-07-2008, 09:34 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocketrocketz1
Newbie here. Looking for clarification. I'd like to start making my own fuel. It's a bit difficult to keep it all straight. This is what i think I know from what I've read at fuel processing sites.

* WVO is Waste Veg., SVO is ?, VO is Veg. Oil. WVO, SVO and VO can be run straight through a running diesel engine without being processed, but the motor must be running and warm?
SVO is Straight Veg Oil...some times folks call it Straight Virgin Oil - never been used to cook food. Which means you don't have to clean as much as WVO but you still have to treat it like WVO....motor at operating temperature before you try to use it as a fuel. Going off the top of my head it's 160 degrees is the minimum.

* If you want to run straight VO in your diesel full time, it needs to be processed with methonol. Is this considered BioDiesel? If I buy brand new cooking oil or find a waste oil supply, does one gallon of veg. oil make one gallon of usable fuel? I've heard that in some cases, processing is less then $2.00/gallon. Is it worth all of the trouble?
VO processed with methonal and lye is biodiesel...and if you don't blend it with regular petroleum diesel (dino diesel) then you have B100. I'm not a chemist, so I'm not 100% sure of the terms or what it does other than cause the gilercin to separate out of the oil. The gilercin is what will cloud the oil around 40-45 degrees F. I understand the proper term is "pour point"...the point at which the oil no longer flows on it's own. I don't know about the costs, I buy my B20 at a retail location, thus I'm trying to do my part to starve a terriost and feed a farmer. I have plans to go wvo/svo after the finance department approves my expendure request.

* Are there two tank systems that you can buy for all existing diesel vehicles? I'm looking to purchase a Diesel Excursion and make a little bit of my own fuel. What sort of mods will I have to purchase for the vehicle to do this?
I'd check with Vegistroke (http://www.vegistroke.com/) just from what I've read on different forums they've got the best set-up for Ford owners. I don't remember seeing a conversation kit for Excursions, but I'm sure he could help you out on that. Can't answer the question about the mods, haven't ordered my kit yet.

Where would be the best site to read about my options because the sites I find want to sell me a kit, but they don't explain the process.
If your thinking you want to go true biodiesel then this site could help you out from the processors to feed stocks....http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/

If you think you want to go WVO/SVO then this forum site could answer more of your questions by searching the forum...http://www.greasecar.com/forum.cfm. Hope these answered some of your questions.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:36 PM
TchTchr
Senior User
I have the Vegistroke system and it uses a FASS pump. Not only does the engine need to be at operating temerature, but the oil needs to be heated as well. Vegistroke has a forum now that is pretty helpful.