N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Am I the only one his happens to?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 06:45 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I the only one his happens to?

SO I got my rear coil overs for my '36 today and started making a plan...sorta had it formulated on how I was going to make the rear crossmember, but needed the shocks in order to verify what size holes to drill and what size bushings and spacers i needed.

So...I get the shocks, do some measuring, get it all figured out...and start calling around for some stuff...the local "Industrial Supply" place in town, really isn't sure what a bushing or spacer is, even though "we're just like Grainger and McMaster Carr"..

Yea, right...so not wanting to drive to Modesto today, I figure I'll just make what I need....so I spend another hour or two looking for stuff, give up and decide WTH, I'll just make'em out of 1inch round bar...which I nearly trip over daily...

Couldn't find any...so broke down and went into town and spent 4 bucks for a short stick of bar, made a few bushings and spacers, drilled out the crossmemember then had to go out back for soething, and stumbled across a piece of 1inch round bar nearly identical to the one I went into town and bought....

So, not wanting that to happen again, I scooped it up and went into my Dads shop to tuck it away so I could find it again, and guess what? Found 4 bushings exactly like the ones I spent an hour making...

You know what I hate? Watching Mythbusters and seeing them go into thier inventory place, seeing all these boxes/totes on shelves, all labled up...all they doo is go look through one or two totes on the shelf and pfind the part.

Well, time to down a cold one and get back out and weld things in

Old 02-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Mecinoid
Elder User
What type of coil overs did you finally get?

I know what you mean about searching for stuff. I spend more time looking for stuff and I only have a 1/8 of what you have out there.

Nice to see your keeping busy .... maybe I'll make a run over this weekend if your around.

You realize Mythbuster isn't real, right? It's kinda like WWF. All set up. Lol !!! They get the gaffer/grip to find the stuff then they stand and pretend to do the real job. It's not the real world you and I live in.

Got to go on a high note .... I'm cracking myself up today

Be safe, be kewl.... AJ

Old 02-22-2008, 07:41 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I'll be around after about 1pm tomorrow (have sotfball stuff with the 10YO) and will be around all day Sunday...so feel free to make a run.

C'mon, now, Jamie seems like a control freak, I'd bet he had the warehouse and stuff set up long, long before MB's tapped on his shoulder

I love that show, I even watch the re-runs, trying to pick up something I missed before.

I gotta get a life

Old 02-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Mecinoid
Elder User
Yeah, your probably right. I'll ring you later and I can let you know what my plan is.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:55 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Check my edit...I'm around tomorrow afternoon and all day Sunday

Old 02-22-2008, 08:03 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
BTW...unsure of the brand I got (they are adjustable)...procurred them from the HAMB...used, but with "little use"...who know's...but the price was right and the length was just about what I thought I needed...so I should be able to get things setup/mocked up for the rear suspension...better to blow a C-note on "maybe it'll work", than 4 bills on something new that I need to change out later anyways.

The guy I bought them from siad they were a few years old, only a few K-miles, under his 36 Coupe......might be a little too much spring rate for my pickup, but should be close.

No evidence of leaking on the shocks...plus the springs and shock body are chrome..so it's gotta be cool, right?

Old 02-22-2008, 10:16 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Well, it was just too wet, damp and cold to stay in the shop too long, just kept staring a sipping and said to heck with it, I'll pick it up tomorrow...maybe AJ will show up and I'll have him hold the smart end of the tape measure

Old 02-23-2008, 01:54 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
You remind me of #4 in Multiplicity. Not sure about tomorrow afternoon. Wifie might make it Monday for me.
Some things to do around here I'm afraid. I'll know more in the morning. Not all hope is lost for this weekend though.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:39 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Scratch Monday-plus for a bit, I have to call in for Jury Duty Sunday night, I kinda have a feeling I'll get picked since I blew'em off last time.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Mecinoid
Elder User
OK, I emailed you before I saw this. Maybe for the best ... Our focus should be elsewhere perhaps ... for the time being.

Glad to hear your keeping busy. Let us know how the '36 comes along.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:39 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I replied, no issues, looks like I goofed on my JD dates, I don't call in until Monday...hope to have the chassis done by then and on to the Transfer.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:49 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
OK, if that's the case I'll show up at 10a Monday and we'll see what we can get done on the '36 / Transfer or whatever else you feel the need to do.
;-)

Old 02-26-2008, 12:37 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
Ahhh, I didn't show .... my appologies to Mike. Just couldn't sleep all last night (worried about getting a job still) and had some things come up today that might lead to a job.

Mike - My sorries ..... I hope we can still hook up sometime this week. Not for the headers ... that could wait ... just to give us both a break I think. I'll call in the AM and if your not doing Jury etc... we could set something up tomorrow or later this week or next.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:58 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
No worries AJ.

Bring the headers when you come, I'll keep you up to date on Jury Duty, I don't call back in until noon today.