General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

utah students take matter into own hands

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:45 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
utah students take matter into own hands

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/20/cnnu.guns/index.html

Utah students hide guns, head to class

The senior at the University of Utah gets dressed and then decides which gun is easiest to conceal under his clothes.
If he's wearing a T-shirt, he'll take a smaller, low-profile gun to class. If he's wearing a coat, he may carry a different weapon, he said.

He started carrying a gun to class after the massacre at Virginia Tech, but the student says he's not part of the problem of campus shootings and could instead be part of a solution.

wow.....i think this is the state that still has firing squad as a means of death penalty as well.
<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!--endclickprintinclude-->

Old 02-21-2008, 12:05 PM
blue beast
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was a teacher down here that was carrying to school, Unfortunately she didn't take it seriously enough and "Forgot it" and somebody found it and her cell phone in the parking lot. She got fired of course. They should at the very least require all teachers to wear holstered tazers. The first rule of carrying a weapon is to actually carry the thing!! If it is in your purse, desk, brief case you are going to be the target
as you run to get it!!

Old 02-21-2008, 12:16 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Three items of note:

1. Concealed means concealed. Nobody's gonna see it. Nobody's gonna know about it.

2. Nothing says that a police officer has to protect you.

3. Personally, I'd rather be tried by 12, than to be carried by 6.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:22 PM
shawntxt
Senior User
Originally Posted by 00BlueOvalRanger
Three items of note:

1. Concealed means concealed. Nobody's gonna see it. Nobody's gonna know about it.

3. Personally, I'd rather be tried by 12, than to be carried by 6.
AMEN BROTHER!

Old 02-21-2008, 03:54 PM
rangersvt04
Posting Guru
we've been talking it class the past week or so about weather or not we should be allowed to carry in the class room. I guess that Michigan is thinking about revewing the
places not allowed to carry.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:57 PM
Buckarcher
Posting Guru

Actually from what I have read, the courts have specified that they do NOT have any responsibility to protect you individually. PD's are only charged with keeping the general peace.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:09 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
that interpretation comes from someone suing a police department somewhere claiming they were responsible for keeping her safe in regards to she had a restraining order against someone and he attacked her. (very fuzzy on the details). but the judge stated that the police are not for nor have to provide personal security for people.

the police do protect you to a point, but they are not your own personal security guard. as posted, "they keep the peace".

Old 02-21-2008, 11:45 PM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
I'm in class 4 hours a day, 4 days a week. I carry a HK USP .45 in with me every day.

I've read through all of my schools rules and regulations, no where does it say I can't carry. I have a CC permit, so the gun comes along with me where ever I go.

No security guard, police officer, metal detector, or regulations bring the piece of mind like having a piece at your side. Disarming innocent law abiding folks will never solve a thing, it just makes any would be criminal's job that much easier.

Leave it to "moral crusaders" to think that disarming us will lead to a world of puppy petting and flower picking, sorry hippie it just don't work that way. Living in this day and age I will continue to carry no matter what the laws say.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:29 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Buckarcher
Actually from what I have read, the courts have specified that they do NOT have any responsibility to protect you individually. PD's are only charged with keeping the general peace.
I think that's what I wrote.

Have a GREAT day!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:40 AM
f-150 on 22's
Senior User
Originally Posted by jimbo beam
I'm in class 4 hours a day, 4 days a week. I carry a HK USP .45 in with me every day.

I've read through all of my schools rules and regulations, no where does it say I can't carry. I have a CC permit, so the gun comes along with me where ever I go.

No security guard, police officer, metal detector, or regulations bring the piece of mind like having a piece at your side. Disarming innocent law abiding folks will never solve a thing, it just makes any would be criminal's job that much easier.

Leave it to "moral crusaders" to think that disarming us will lead to a world of puppy petting and flower picking, sorry hippie it just don't work that way. Living in this day and age I will continue to carry no matter what the laws say.
Got the same HK and I love it!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:01 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
[QUOTE=jimbo beam]I'm in class 4 hours a day, 4 days a week. I carry a HK USP .45 in with me every day.

QUOTE]

id tell ya it would be an interesting and different story than what weve been seeing......someone comes in and starts shooting, if jimbo has the bullets to stand up and take him down, before the gumen killed a bunch of people. that would make some headlines

Old 02-22-2008, 09:33 AM
MikeSmith
Junior User
Actually if an armed citizen stopped a mass shooting, it would barely make the news at all. Doesn't help the media's agenda.

Anyone remember the mall shooting a few months ago in SLC? It was stopped by an off-duty cop that was carrying. He could have just as easily been a private citizen.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Fords&Farmalls
Senior User
To me, it is encouraging to read something like this. I'm glad there are still places that you can still defend yourself. To me, its just a matter of common sense. If someone is shooting at you, you should be allowed to shoot back. Plain and simple.
Garrett

Old 02-23-2008, 12:16 PM
rednekrailroader
Senior User
That's the kind of place I'd like to go to school......