1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

No start after Edge programming

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 07:08 PM
MTNWOODY
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No start after Edge programming

Earlier today I posted a thread about throwing codes playing around with my Edge Evo. I put my truck on the safe tow program and had a little fun with the new found power. Well this afternoon I decided to bump it up a notch to the "Race" program just for the ride home from the fuel station. Programming went fine but when I went to start it, it just cranks w/o firing up. There is a clicking sound coming from the valley behind the fuel filter, maybe under the turbo outlet to the intake manifolds. The programmer reads comm. error and to verify the key is on to access the pcm. Uh oh! Can't even program it back to stock. Any ideas...

Old 02-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Todd525
Posting Guru
Check your obd port. usually what happens is when you push the connector in, it pushes a wire out of the plastic seat. This throws the comm error. Try the wiggle test. See if it helps

Old 02-13-2008, 08:21 PM
MTNWOODY
Senior User
My truck was so hot earlier I didn't get my ear close enough to realize the clicking sound is coming FROM the turbo assembly somewhere and not under it. This is with the key on. It's still cranking pretty well but I also noticed no WTS light. It always comes on for at least a couple seconds? What's wrong with my truck???

I also checked the OBD port and did what I could to look for any sign of a loose connection. I even wiggled the wires and port around a couple times. The connection seems pretty good. When I run the diagnostics (same programmer, same plug) it shows no codes and no error message. I am stumped. I know there are better tunes out there but I didn't think this thing would shut down my truck.

Help!?!

Old 02-13-2008, 08:27 PM
blake 7.3L
Senior User
I would contact Edges technical support and see what they have to say. They are pretty helpfull. Sorry I can't be more help, I have not had this problem nor do I want too. Good Luck!!

Old 02-13-2008, 08:28 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Sounds like you could of blown the fuel heater fuse.
Check both panels.(all fuses)
Check you fuses and disconnect the fuel heater if needed.

Could be the edge itself

Bill

Last edited by MADVAN; 02-13-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:42 PM
IceboxFX
Tuned
Exclamation

this happened to my friends truck, his PCM was freezing. contact edge and ask them to send you the stock programing. they kept sending him new programmers and eventualy he asked for a refund... ask for your money back and get a DP tuner.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Todd525
Posting Guru
if its clicking under the hood and no wts light, woulnt that indicate a bad GPR or low voltage? Could be whats casuing communication eror to if its reading amp loss. Just a thought.

Hold on a sec, do you see volt drop on the dash when you try to cycle for a cold start? Or does the gague wiggle back and forth??

Old 02-13-2008, 09:02 PM
MTNWOODY
Senior User
Thanks all. In the morning I plan to check on the possible electrical issues as well as call Edge. I was thinking that lately it's been cranking a little slower when cold and after it fires up it shows low volts for a few seconds then the needle jumps above 12amps for a while then settles. I'll check it out and report back tommorrow.
Hungry, tired, and soon to be poor(er) if my PCM's fried. Paranoia has set in...I need some food.
- Ish

Old 02-14-2008, 04:38 AM
dauto
New User
I had the same issue last year with edge in a 97 f250.If you call the tech support they will give you a few things to try, they ended up sending me a stock writer to reprogram to stock-it did not work for me. But mine only communicated enough to remove the stock prog. it never took a upload.I ended up replacing my Ecm(they reimbursed me for it and the programer) I put super chips in w/no prob. When it was down my shop scanners would not comm. w/the ecm either.Also low voltage during programing would cause this.Charge your batts. and try again.

Last edited by dauto; 02-14-2008 at 04:51 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:07 PM
MTNWOODY
Senior User
Moving in the right direction today...
I contacted Bill from powerhungryperformance.com and he did all the legwork with Edge. They called me and are overnighting a programmer with my stock tune and hopefully updated (by Edge) tunes for my truck. Power Hungry is offering custom tunes for Edge hardware and with a firmware upgrade they are able to put 5 custom tunes on the Evolution. Costs almost the same as a chip...however for those of us with a programmer by Edge. It's an option. Bill helped me out a lot. I will be having him do some custom tunes for me.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Todd525
Posting Guru
I have the edge tuner already, what is he expecting with a cutom tune? Whats the price?

Old 02-14-2008, 03:03 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Originally Posted by MTNWOODY
Moving in the right direction today...
I contacted Bill from powerhungryperformance.com and he did all the legwork with Edge. They called me and are overnighting a programmer with my stock tune and hopefully updated (by Edge) tunes for my truck. Power Hungry is offering custom tunes for Edge hardware and with a firmware upgrade they are able to put 5 custom tunes on the Evolution. Costs almost the same as a chip...however for those of us with a programmer by Edge. It's an option. Bill helped me out a lot. I will be having him do some custom tunes for me.
Cool!
Hope it works out for ya!

Bill

Old 02-14-2008, 03:26 PM
MTNWOODY
Senior User
Originally Posted by Todd525
I have the edge tuner already, what is he expecting with a cutom tune? Whats the price?
$50 for the firmware (new OS) and $50 a tune...
The website has a truck information form you fill out and fax to him about your truck, mods, etc. Then you work with him on what you want to do. I'm sure it's a similar process to what the chip guys do for us. Bill was a lead developer for Superchips and the Evolution and other Edge products. Like I said above, he paid it forward with me and I am going to have him do some tunes for me. I will let everyone know how it goes.

And Bill, thanks for your input, too.

Last edited by MTNWOODY; 02-14-2008 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Thanks to Bill
Old 02-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Jordon_81
New User
Yes, please update me with what happens. I just installed the edge evolution programmer last night and same thing happened. I just came on here to see if this happened to anyone else and sure enough. Installed fine but truck just cranks over and no WTS light. I have to wait till Monday to call edge and we`ll see what they have to say. Worst case if i need the truck soon there is a local shop that will flash the stock program back on but for 82 bucks!!

Old 02-16-2008, 10:06 PM
MTNWOODY
Senior User
Jordan,
Edge will send a stock programmer overnight. Monday's a holiday for most and if Edge has the day off it might be Wednesday before you get it. You will need to plug in the programmer you have now and note the code in the upper left corner, it was the second line on mine. This is your stock flash. Edge will need it. The customer service was great. However, I think this happens a lot to OBS trucks with the Evolution, they even note in their troubleshooting section that the programmer may expose "existing" defects in the vehicle's PCM and cause the vehicle to be disabled. I guess it's our trucks that are defective and the programmer is just exposing this for us...doh? Good luck Jordan. If you decide to keep the programmer, check out the website above. They might be able to help out.

Quick Reply: No start after Edge programming