Sponsored by:

1993 5.8 EB, Dead Horn and Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:09 AM
TimmyAbrams
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 5.8 EB, Dead Horn and Cruise Control

I tried to search this, but I could find nothing for my model year...I hope this is not a repeat.

1993 EB, 5.8, 155k. The horn and the cruise control do not work. Just went out one day, and I have no idea what it could be. I have read on previous posts about a clock spring, but when I went to search for that part, nothing came up in any inventory. Is there a different name for it that I am missing?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Tim

Old 02-13-2008, 09:39 AM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

First I had a 3-2 code on the air bag light. A month later the cruise quit. A month later the horn. Clock spring fixed all. Be sure to disconnect the battery at least 30 minutes before you work on in to make the air bag safe. Yes, there is another name for clock spring but I can't think of it now.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:03 PM
autx790
Senior User
If i'm not mistaken, the horn is linked in with the cruise control module. Mine shorted out thanks to the recall, and so at one point i unplugged the wire harness going into it and that caused my horn to stop working as well. so maybe you could check those wires

Old 02-13-2008, 10:22 PM
mrknight01
Senior User
you might want to check at autozone.com they have a lot of info in their Vehicle Repair Guides that might help.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:25 AM
TimmyAbrams
Senior User
is there going to be any voltage across any wires or continuity once a button is pressed to help diagnose what happened? I called ford yesterday after pulling my vin up on the ford recall website...the website said that there is an open recall on my car for the cruise control. I called my local ford stealership, and they told me that no support is offered to cars and trucks that are older than ten years. Is this true?

Last edited by TimmyAbrams; 02-14-2008 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Trublufords
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
93 with an air bag??????? When a truck comes in with air bag light on or no horn, or no cruise I plug an airbag simulator into Clocksping wire connector at base of steering column for bag light.Normaly replacement of clockspring fixes these three problems!!!(clocksring replaces old brushes under steering wheel base that keeps contact on bottom of wheel when it turns- in crashes steering wheel pushed up losing contact between brushes and wheel-electric contact- and air bag would not deploy---horn and cruise would also be inop if you could still drive it, clockspring has a wire ribbon in it that is centered in it and mounts on a flat spot on the steering center main shaft under steering wheel,Stay away from used clocksprings unless you removed it with the wheel straight ahead and tape center so it will not turn OR internal ribbon will be ripped out on a left or right turn if ribbon is not centered in the plastic housing it is mounted in)only seen airbags in 94-96 Broncos LOL Blue

Old 02-14-2008, 11:19 AM
wileec
Tuned
The Cruise recall is for our years so YES the dealership should fix it. Remind them that if they refuse (get it in writing) they are responcable for the insusing fire.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:31 PM
HorseDriver
New User
I think the cruise recall is only for the switch on the brake master cylinder. I had my replaced under the recall and that was the fix. BTW - I need a new clockspring too. The good news is that my horn still works - cruise control...no.

Also - Autozone / Oreillys carries the clockspring for around $50

Old 02-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Trublufords
Senior User
The 93s get the cruise deactivation jumper harness kit and it mounts down on a block on the frame, rear of left front tire, 94s and up are on the master cylinder. We have had a national back order on parts but they started coming in last week(2-7-08) untill then we had to unplug wires to switch and tape off plug--manditory if it came into a Ford Dealership!!!

Old 02-15-2008, 03:49 PM
TimmyAbrams
Senior User
no, there is no airbag in a 93 EB. So- I'll talk to the lovely people in the service department again to see if I can get this in writing...otherwise, any more ideas?

Old 02-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Trublufords
Senior User
You could have a blown fuse,Bad horn(s)Bad switch on steering wheel, brush set under steering wheel bad-worn out or cracked broken ring made onto bottom of steering wheel, or bad horn relay in eng. comp. fuse box-Thats for horn prob!!! Cruise could be electronic speed servo on left inner fender(see alot), fuse, brushes, switch, or bad cruise deactivation switch(Ford Recall jumper mounts to this---We ONLY replace(press. switch) if it is leaking brake fluid Start at the basics by looking in your owners man. for fuses and relays and check them first!!!! LOL Blue

Old 02-17-2008, 04:28 PM
TimmyAbrams
Senior User
okay, I'm an idiot...evidently I unplugged the cruise control module (drivers side, just above the code reader plugs). The horn is tied into that switch. Plugged back in after a little exhaust work and fluid changes...the horn works again. Still no cruise. I will post again once I talk to the local dealership. Is it true that dealerships will not honor recalls on cars that are older than ten years? I might need some back-up on this one. I will be disputing-

Tim

Old 02-18-2008, 06:58 AM
Trublufords
Senior User
Recalls are SAFETY issues THEY ARE ALWAYS GOOD(Ford programs have milage and time limits) regardless of how old your vehicle is! Toll free call to National Transportation Dept will confirm!! Don't have number handy right now BUT any owners man. out of any make car-truck will have the # in it. LOL Blue PS try known good cruise servo on you ride- see alot of bad elec. servos!!!!

Old 02-18-2008, 08:01 PM
TimmyAbrams
Senior User
Thanks...the service dept was closed today, I'll try tomorrow...and I'll use the old "I think that the NTSB may want to know that your are not honoring SAFETY Recalls" line if things start to go bad.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:11 PM
benshere
Posting Guru
brake switch

On one of these threads, I posted about the same problems on my 93 5.8 Bronco.

On this year that switch is down on the drivers side frame pretty close to the exaust manifold. not on the MC. Apparently it is on the recall list, same problem, but maybe not as prone to catching fire because of location.

It is in a "T" ftg on the brake lines and screws in like any other pressure sensor. It has 2 wires going into it. It is one 12V source to the CC. Applying the brake interrupts the 12V to the CC. However, the brake interrupt will allow you to use the "reset" button without having to restart the CC.

The plastic portion of the switch, where the wires feed into, disentegrated and would not allow that voltage source. I dont think the heat from the manifolds burned the plastic, didnt appear burned or melted. It looked to me like the wrong composition of plastic that would not tolerate petroleum products and diseintegrated. I replaced the switch and re-routed (and added length) the wires for safety. This was all before I was aware of this recall. You should verify that this switch is the one on the recall!!

BTW---how the hell do you spell disentegrated?? (dosnt look right to me!)

Quick Reply: 1993 5.8 EB, Dead Horn and Cruise Control