1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Tire Sensor Pressure Fault

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 08:31 AM
armytom
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Sensor Pressure Fault

I have a 2006 Ford Expedition with 15,000 miles and I keep getting the tire sensor pressure fault light.

It's intermittent, some days it won't come on and some days it will come on after I drive for 20 plus miles and will go out on it's own and come back on.

I never had this issue until Ford fixed one of the tires (had a nail in it).

I took it to the dealer and they said since it's intermittent there really is nothing they can do. I told them to replace all 4 sensors but they are telling me that Ford will not allow them to do this. The only way for them to fix this is to come in when the fault light comes on.

I told them that this was not possible since the light is intermittent and will go out before I reached the service department. Also, I can just drop everything to drive in.

So, the service manager had a great idea of putting in Nitrogen (cost me $30) and said that should fix the problem and would refund it the light came on again. Well, the Nitrogen didn't fix the problem. The light came on again this morning.

I am getting ready to go overseas soon (South Korea) and will be shipping my Expedition there so I want to get this issue resolved with Ford before I leave.

Anyone else have the same issue? Any suggestions?

Tom

Old 02-12-2008, 08:34 AM
ltrager
Freshman User
More than likely, one of the sensors in a tire has gone bad. They should be able to find out which one it is without replacing all of them. Go to a different dealer

Old 02-12-2008, 08:41 AM
armytom
New User
Originally Posted by ltrager
More than likely, one of the sensors in a tire has gone bad. They should be able to find out which one it is without replacing all of them. Go to a different dealer
If I go to a different dealer then I will not get a rental car for the time the Expedition is in the shop.

I can't believe this dealership can not find what sensor is bad.

Should I contact Ford directly?

Old 02-12-2008, 09:17 AM
armytom
New User
Is there anyway to tell which tire sensor is bad?

Old 02-12-2008, 10:47 AM
ltrager
Freshman User
Yes, The dealer can. They do have to see it fail as it doesn't store code's of which one is failing if I'm not mistaking. I had this happen on my 04 Navigator and it took a couple of times before they found it. Replaced the bad sensor in the tire and no more problem.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:42 AM
mohare7
New User
I had the exact same problem with my 06 EB, and the dealer told me the exact same thing. I didn't fall for the nitrogen deal, though. Light is sometimes on in the morning and goes off after you drive for a bit.

I found that my cold tire pressure was low. Cold temps, even 50-60 deg outside, will lower the pressure in your tires. As you drive, the tires heat up causing the air to expand and thus, the tire pressure increases to the point where the fault light will turn off.
I waited for a real cold morning, like 40 deg (Hey, I live in Florida; 40 is friggin' cold!) then set my tire pressure at factory spec with my air compressor.
Problem solved!! Tire pressure light has not come on since!!

Nitrogen - Yes, nitrogen will not leak over time as readily as air will, and while it is not AS susceptible to pressure changes due to temp, it DOES expand and contract to some degree.

It is a shame that real mechanics are a dying breed. I actually had a Ford tech tell there was nothing wrong with my truck because "the computer didn't set any codes". Real mechanics look beyond the computer.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:00 PM
armytom
New User
I went to the dealer today and they ran some more tests and said they figured out the tire and replaced the sensor.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:50 PM
HouseOPain
New User
i had mine fixed twice and still on, i am done with ford mech. i still searching for a better option